The installation of the film on Kelvin’s Volkswagen Golf took place at DS Specialty Services, which is one of only two Certified Applicators for 3M solar films in Singapore. Kelvin’s car already had another brand of solar film installed previously, so we were interested to find out if there would be any difference after installing the 3M Crystalline Solar Film.
1) The previous solar film is carefully removed. Special care is taken for the rear windscreen, so as not to damage the heated demister wires. The film is cut into tiny strips, and then gently peeled off.
2) The glass panels are then cleaned with a special neutral soap, to prevent harmful chemicals from damaging the film. The soap also acts as an adhesive remover, to remove the adhesive that was used to install the previous solar film.
3) After cleaning, the films to be installed are then cut to the size and shape of the windscreen and glass panels. The film is placed on the outer surface of the glass panel, then shaped and heated with a heat gun to seal the shape after it has been formed to the size of the windscreen.
4) The film is then carefully placed on the inner surface of the glass panel, and carefully stuck onto the surface with a special, non-harmful adhesive. Cloths are placed throughout the interior to ensure that they are not stained by the chemicals used in installing the film.
5) After installation, the film and glass panels are cleaned again, and checked to ensure that there is no residue or air pockets.
Thoughts after installation
After the solar film had been installed, Kelvin took us on a short drive to test out the effects of the new 3M Crystalline Solar Film.
He noted that the new film is much clearer than his previous film, which makes it safer overall. In terms of heat protection, there was a slight but noticeable difference. It was still too early to tell as the film had not settled in yet after installation, but the cooling effects of the 3M Crystalline Solar Film are expected to be more evident once the film has had time to settle.
Kelvin also praised the professionalism of the crew at DS Speciality Services. He commented on their friendliness, and was impressed at their knowledge about the products and service.
Special thanks to DS Specialty Services for their kind sponsorship and the opportunity to observe the installation process of the 3M Crystalline Solar Films. DS Specialty Services are located at Block 1061, Eunos Ave 3, #01-224, and they provide installation of solar films, tinting, as well as applications of stickers and decals. Their enclosed workshop ensures a truly dust-free environment for the installation of solar films, while their professional services as a 3M Certified Applicator means that only the best quality and processes are applied.