Jump to content

MyCarForum Logo
Search
Magnifying glass

SEARCH

0

Guangzhou to curb car population growth

By SYF77 on 15 Jul 2012

Attached Image: china_traffic_jam.jpg

Guangzhou, the capital of the Guangdong province is the home to some 11 million residents. Like Singapore, the city is concerned about traffic congestion problems. Hence, from July 2012, the transport department will grant no more than 10,000 new car licenses per month.

Attached Image

Out of the 10,000 licenses, 5,000 plates will be allocated via a lottery system while the remaining 5,000 will be auctioned off. The funds collected will contribute towards the development of the city’s transport system according to Xian Weixiong, director of the Guangzhou commission of transport.

According to Mr Xian, the policy is adopted from Beijing and Shanghai’s experiences. Beijing, which started limiting car registrations in 2011, allowed 240,000 vehicles to be registered last year via monthly lotteries.

Shanghai introduced a public auction system to grant new license plates in 1994. Mr Zheng Fenming, director of the Institute of Modernization Strategies under the Guangdong Academy of Social Sciences, suggested to increase the proportion of car license plates to be
auctioned to increase the cost of ownership.

However, not all is supportive of Mr Zheng’s view. Mr Han Zhipeng, a member of the Guangzhou Committee of the Chinese People's Political and Consultative Conference, said, “Why should the rich, or those who really want to buy their cars, have to pay more to be granted car license plates via auctions?"

He suggested that a fairer approach is to allow only 30 percent of the license plates to be granted via public auctions while the remaining 70 percent should be granted through a lottery.

Perhaps, LTA should examine the approach that Guangzhou is adopting. For some young families with kids, a car is a necessity and not a luxury item. High COE cost may indirectly have an impact on birth rates. How about allowing 50% of the monthly COE allocation to be balloted ?

discussions, other news, china and 9 more...

Viewed: 1,262 times

Related Blog Posts
SYF77
Written by SYF77
I have been a car fanatic since 1989, when my father was changing our family car then to a Toyota Corolla 1.6 GL fitted with a Twin Cam 16 valve engine that was carburetor-fed, a big deal back in those days. The automobile technology and industry fascinates me and I hope to broadcast these interesting developments to everyone out there through this blog.



 
Car Makes

Please select a car make

Facebook Likes
   Featured Blog Post
Photo
The Australian actor is reported to be portraying Enzo Ferrari in a new biopic on the Ferrari fou...
POPULAR BLOG POSTS
Photo
The redesigned 2018 Camry will make its debut at the 2017 Detroit auto show next month. Possibly...
Photo
The Swedish police will take delivery of its first V90 police cars early next year after the car...
Photo
In the first nine months of this year, the ride-hailing company lost significantly more than US...
Photo
Rebates for low CO2 output may be revised to include pollutants such as nitrogen oxides and parti...
Photo
Mercedes-Benz has released a teaser video of its soon-to-be unveiled E-class coupe. The 21-second...
   Lifestyle Articles