Jump to content

MyCarForum Logo
Search
Magnifying glass

SEARCH

0

It's confirmed: Volkswagen buys Italdesign via Lamborghini

By Rigval on 30 May 2010

Attached Image
-the Golf Mk 1, designed by Giugiaro for VW
It has been confirmed by an official press release that the Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) has taken a 90.1% stake in Italdesign Giugiaro S.p.a.. (Italdesign). This partnership includes the name, rights and patents held under Italdesign. The remaining 9.9% is owned by the original owner and founder, the Giugiaro family under the helm of the famous Giorgetto Giugiaro.

The unique thing about this take-over is that the share is acquired by Audi's Italian subsidiary, the very famous Lamborghini Holding S.p.A. This keeps Italdesign still very Italian (at least on one level that is). With both being Italian and now with Italdesign under Lamborghini we could be seeing “designed by” Italdesign or Giugiaro badges on future Lamborghinis as well as other cars within VAG.

VAG has cooperated with Italdesign on a few occasions, namely the Golf Mk1, as well as the Passat, original Scirocco and the Audi 80. According to VAG, one reason why they acquired Italdesign was that the company is seen to be a “flagship for creative Italian automobile design and has been instrumental in shaping the face of the automobile industry worldwide.”

“As the creator of the Golf I, Giorgetto Giugiaro laid a new foundation for Volkswagen design in the 1970s,” said Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, Chairman of the Board of Management of VW.

A good and great partnership, but I somehow think that this marks an end to the independence of a Italian automobile designer. Those days Bertone, Pininfarina and Giugiaro were the 'Big Three' when it came to Italian automobile design. Now, it would seem that Italdesign/Giugiaro would be the 'in-house' Italian design unit within VAG and you may not see another Alfa Romeo 159 or an Alfasud, or even a Maserati 3200GT or a Fiat Panda as companies aside from those within VAG may not utilise Italdesign any more.

We just have to wait and see on how the actual business structure and future plans of Italdesign after this.
Attached Image: lamborghini_guigiaro_450x304.jpg

Volkswagen Audi Group and 5 more...

Viewed: 414 times

Related Blog Posts
Rigval
Written by Rigval
Born in 1972. Married with a kid. Loves B-road drives and have driven cars from the 1950s to date.



 
Car Makes

Please select a car make

Facebook Likes
   Featured Blog Post
Photo
The Australian actor is reported to be portraying Enzo Ferrari in a new biopic on the Ferrari fou...
POPULAR BLOG POSTS
Photo
The company’s American arm has created a one-off Lexus IS, which has been covered head-to-toe wit...
Photo
The Swedish police will take delivery of its first V90 police cars early next year after the car...
Photo
According to Bmwblog, Seattle police managed to catch a thief who stole a 550i last Sunday mornin...
Photo
Saudi Arabia is the only country which bans women from driving and a prominent prince from the Sa...
Photo
Liberty Media, which have officially taken over Formula 1, has put Ross Brawn in charge and as th...
   Lifestyle Articles