The start and first lap tussles claimed Lewis Hamilton who couldn't continue after his steering column gave way due to a come together with Felipe Massa. The planned tire changes which caused various strategies to be mapped out and this time, team HRT to be fined a good US$20,000 for injuring one of their mechanics who was adjusting HRT driver Sakon Yamamoto's radio during the Japanese driver's pitstop when the lollipop man released him off. The mechanic had to be driven to the nearest hospital to get his injuries looked at.
What the outcome of this race was that Mark Webber is now once again Championship leader, overtaking Lewis Hamilton, who crashed out on the first lap, in the points. This outcome came regardless of the fact that Webber himself finished in sixth position. He was pretty frustrated as he started fourth, lost some track positions due to a bad start, then had a tussel with the Williams driver Nico Hulkenberg who refused to yield even though he was driving much slower than Webber (hey, its racing for position and finished seventh behind Webber – Sometimes the diva in these top drivers seem to get the better of them and they complain for no apparent reason). He also suffered from radio failure and was driving without the usual instructions from his race engineer.
Another big points achiever was Alonso, the winner of this race. He has cut his deficit in the point by around half. From being 41 points behind the championship leader to only about 21 points behind. Same with second place Jenson Button, from 35 points behind to 22points. Due to the retirement of Lewis Hamilton, the chase for the Championship is still wide open. One has to note that one or two wins for a driver and a loss or 'Did not finish' for another would mean a change in the leader boards.
All in all, it was a great victory for Ferrari in Italy. Considered as its home race, the Monza track this time witnessed Tifosi celebrating a first place and a third for team Scuderia Ferrari. Maybe that is all that matters to some.
01. Alonso Ferrari 1h16:24.572
02. Button McLaren-Mercedes + 2.938
03. Massa Ferrari + 4.223
04. Vettel Red Bull-Renault + 28.193
05. Rosberg Mercedes + 29.942
06. Webber Red Bull-Renault + 31.276
07. Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth + 32.812
08. Kubica Renault + 34.028
09. Schumacher Mercedes + 44.948
10. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth + 1:04.200
11. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1:05.00
12. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes + 1:06.100
13. Petrov Renault + 1:18.900
14. De la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari + 1 lap
15. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1 lap
16. Sutil Force India-Mercedes + 1 lap
17. Glock Virgin-Cosworth + 2 laps
18. Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth + 2 laps
19. Di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth + 2 laps
20. Yamamoto HRT-Cosworth + 2 laps
Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 47
Senna HRT-Cosworth 12
Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1
Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1