Speeding deaths: Consider capital punishment

Nutty

This is a bit over the top, isn't it?

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_555894.html

LAST year, there were 188 road fatalities, or a road death every other day, and driving along Lim Chu Kang Road on Monday morning, it was not difficult for me to see why.

The speed limit of the road was 70kmh, and as I drove along, big trucks and lorries flashed past me, dangerously above the speed limit.

Drivers who speed do not realise that they are part of a killing machine. Speeding is a fatal menace and should be much more policed than it is now.

During my 45-minute journey from Kranji to Suntec City, I did not spot a single police patrol car or Traffic Police motorcycle.

Speed traps are too few and far between, allowing irresponsible drivers to bolt and swerve on expressways unpunished.

Alongside public campaigns on road safety, there should be more traffic policing vehicles to arrest the immediate problem of dangerous speedsters.

It is also appalling to see the types of vehicles allowed on our expressways, and the manner in which they are driven: small motorcycles with unprotected riders in slippers zipping in and out of traffic, and lorries loaded with men and material zooming past speed limits.

Singapore has stringent standards in licensing drivers, but such standards are futile if we let law-breaking speedsters threaten the lives of other road users and do not police such dangerous drivers.

Fines and imprisonment may not be enough of a disincentive.

The punishment which will effectively deter speeding is caning.

And if a driver's speeding is responsible for a road user's death, then hanging is a fair punishment for killing someone.

Ivy Singh-Lim (Mrs)

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hanging is too much for a road kill unless it's murder.

I prefer mandatory 2-5 years jail depending on situation.

But you all know lah, rich ppl always get a slap on the wrist only and petty theft gets heavier punishment than a road kill.

This is a bit over the top, isn't it?

Ivy Singh-Lim (Mrs)

This is Y.

Nowadays, driving is like a WAR in Singapore.

Take my time to drive, people say I road hog.

Speed, others say if that I wanna die, go other places to do so.

Like this morning, I am from Toa Payoh to PIE towards Jurong along 2 left filter lane, 40' cntr truck & SBS bus on right lane of filter lane, I was on left lane. Slowly accerate then guess what happen? Bus driver pull to my lane giving me no more as the bloody cntr truck pick up is too slow. To quickly get myself out from the situation, I rev up the car overtook the bus over the chev markings. If that I were to slow down for the bus, I would had made a complete stop in the middle of lane.

some need capital punishment lar...like the person who kill the salesgirl during test drive...but most don't lar....I have not heard of life long driving ban !!!! Had any people been pass this sentence before in Singapore....if never...they should change the penalty to max life long driving ban for those hopeless case....killing is never a gd solution unless required...

Death penalty for people who park one car in two lots. Death penalty for road hogs. Death penalty for jaywalkers.

Come to think of it, how about death penalty for loan sharks and their runners. Death penalty for animal abusers, wife/maid beaters as well.

Dr Death resurrected. [laugh]

Turbocharged

Death penalty for people who park one car in two lots. Death penalty for road hogs. Death penalty for jaywalkers.

Come to think of it, how about death penalty for loan sharks and their runners. Death penalty for animal abusers, wife/maid beaters as well.

Dr Death resurrected. [laugh]

death penalty for ppl who come out with the idea of death penalty for speed death.

This is too much but I do agree that it should be life-banned for death causing accident culprits!!!

Turbocharged
(edited)

This is too much but I do agree that it should be life-banned for death causing accident culprits!!!

what if the culprits who causes the death is not at fault??

dont forget our screw up system here dont fault the one at fault but rather the one that is alive.

Edited by Joseph22

what if the culprits who causes the death is not at fault??

dont forget our screw up system here dont fault the one at fault but rather the one that is alive.

That should be decision of the judges....but I believe currently there is no such law here...and that's why the arhhole who caused the death of Mazda Sales girl could walk free after a short period in prison and started looking for killing machine again.... :angry:

I think she is a Singaporean... a Sikh married a Chinese.

But must you be such a racist????