Didnt know Tokico Shocks are much more affordable

Hondasteam

My friends driving civic fd 1.8l & Fit GD1 just fixed up Tokico shocks, total cost including labour is only approximately $4xx nia. I was quoted nearly $6xx for KYB shocks early this year for my stream, up from $5xx quoted last year. Total damage is more than $7xx with labour !!! [lipsrsealed]

Anyone knows what is the difference between the two brands? Too bad I found out Tokico does not carry for Honda Stream....sianz

↡ Advertisement

You tried both before?? What car are you driving?

Im currently on KYB, driving a Mazda 2. My friend is currently using Tokico, Latio sedan and i feel his absorbers are more softer than mine.

Im currently on KYB, driving a Mazda 2. My friend is currently using Tokico, Latio sedan and i feel his absorbers are more softer than mine.

I also on Kyb. Truth it is quite stiff even I had just change tyre from 50-55. Though it's must better in 55 but still hard ride.

I also on Kyb. Truth it is quite stiff even I had just change tyre from 50-55. Though it's must better in 55 but still hard ride.

I recalled a TW car review programme making a comment about the new camry (I saw your nick) seat comfort is like the manufacturer moves your home sofa and place it in camry... quite funny. Maybe for Toyota owner, you would make it stiffer as compare to original shocks. I suppose many Honda car-owners may find it to their likings, especially less rolling during cornering & pitching while braking.

Anyway, there are now other choices like SACHS (German), Tokico, FST (TW) and Mando (Korea) to choose from.

I recalled a TW car review programme making a comment about the new camry (I saw your nick) seat comfort is like the manufacturer moves your home sofa and place it in camry... quite funny. Maybe for Toyota owner, you would make it stiffer as compare to original shocks. I suppose many Honda car-owners may find it to their likings, especially less rolling during cornering & pitching while braking.

Anyway, there are now other choices like SACHS (German), Tokico, FST (TW) and Mando (Korea) to choose from.

Actually the original shock of camry isn't so stiff cos it's oil but Kyb using gas that's y ride is damaged but Kyb

Camry original shocks are from TOKICO. It is true that KYB is approximately 20% stiffer compared to OEM. This is because KYB claim the increase in damping force is to offset the decaying spring rates due to years of usage. All shock absorber has oil in it even it is gas type. The only difference is one is gas charged while the oil one is not and the function of the gas is to prevent aeration not to give you a better or stiffer ride.

Actually the original shock of camry isn't so stiff cos it's oil but Kyb using gas that's y ride is damaged but Kyb

• Praise 1

[thumbsup] Cool.. you're really pro. where to get info that tokico is toyota oem for camry.. I know showa is the oem for honda, but they dont do aftermarket shock

Camry original shocks are from TOKICO. It is true that KYB is approximately 20% stiffer compared to OEM. This is because KYB claim the increase in damping force is to offset the decaying spring rates due to years of usage. All shock absorber has oil in it even it is gas type. The only difference is one is gas charged while the oil one is not and the function of the gas is to prevent aeration not to give you a better or stiffer ride.

Thanks for giving a good course for all Of us . thumbs up to you.

But my ride still more stiff than oem

(edited)

Its printed on the body of the shock absorber. You can get TOKICO shocks from Min Seng Auto Pte Ltd.

[thumbsup] Cool.. you're really pro. where to get info that tokico is toyota oem for camry.. I know showa is the oem for honda, but they dont do aftermarket shock

Edited by Ichibawa

Everytime you change a new set of shock absorber, you have to get to know and use to the new feeling. No 1 shock is similar to another because the governing specification for damping force is quite large. Which means for the same product, you will definately have a different damping feel and this "feel" will decay (get softer) over a period of time due to constant rubbing of the piston rod to the oil seal, piston to the tubes and also flexing of its spacer valves. So when you just change your absorbers, you will definately feel that its much stiffer even if you used back the same brand.

Thanks for giving a good course for all Of us . thumbs up to you.
But my ride still more stiff than oem

• Praise 1

Everytime you change a new set of shock absorber, you have to get to know and use to the new feeling. No 1 shock is similar to another because the governing specification for damping force is quite large. Which means for the same product, you will definately have a different damping feel and this "feel" will decay (get softer) over a period of time due to constant rubbing of the piston rod to the oil seal, piston to the tubes and also flexing of its spacer valves. So when you just change your absorbers, you will definately feel that its much stiffer even if you used back the same brand.

U provide very good info. My Kyb already coming to a year now. Now get better than few months back but I did change tyre profile from 50-55.
↡ Advertisement