How do change gear with your throttle pedal in an Auto car?

KARTer

I like to 'play' with the gas pedal and upshift gear although the car has an auto gearbox.... have you tried it?? :D

↡ Advertisement

I like to 'play' with the gas pedal and upshift gear although the car has an auto gearbox.... have you tried it?? :D

release gas pedal, press clutch down, change gear, release clutch and press down gas pedal.

No even when mine is a Manual :D

(edited)

EDIT: Oh you meant upshift to save fuel (presumably). Sure, that'll work in most ATs - just feather the throttle.

Edited by Turboflat4

Yup, did that when I was running in my wife's car for her (for the first 1,000 km).

This method quickens the upshifts (vs the car's normal auto upshift program) and allows one to keep RPMs to the minimum-possible ... especially while accelerating from zero.

But I use this only for running-in automatic cars, including mine.

Not for day-to-day driving.

A kickdown to force a downshift is a standard feature on almost every AT.

I prefer a more hands-on approach - my Tiptronic 'minus' button. :D

I find that releasing the gas pedal ever-so-gently, to initiate an upshift while accelerating, is more direct and quicker than relying on my wife's Audi Tiptronic (not the S-tronic/DSG, or multitronic/CVT), or my Merc's 7G-tronic ... or even my previous BMW's Steptronic.

Somehow, I find that the automatic "xxx-tronics" of whichever marque, all have a bit of lag ... from the moment you downshift "-", to the time when the actuator actually shifts the gears.

(edited)

I find that releasing the gas pedal ever-so-gently, to initiate an upshift while accelerating, is more direct and quicker than relying on my wife's Audi Tiptronic (not the S-tronic/DSG, or multitronic/CVT), or my Merc's 7G-tronic ... or even my previous BMW's Steptronic.

Somehow, I find that the automatic "xxx-tronics" of whichever marque, all have a bit of lag ... from the moment you downshift "-", to the time when the actuator actually shifts the gears.

Initially, I had misinterpreted TS's topic - I later realised he was talking about boring upshifts rather than fun downshifts, and edited my post accordingly. :D

But going back to DOWNshifts, I find, at least for my Porsche, that just hitting '-' works almost instantaneously without perceptible lag, whereas a throttle kickdown is less efficient. So for instant overtaking power, I just hit minus on the steering and chiong.

Maybe the Porsche manumatic is designed for better performance (quicker response), I dunno.

Edited by Turboflat4

release gas pedal, press clutch down, change gear, release clutch and press down gas pedal.

No even when mine is a Manual :D

you joker...

what i mean is 'manually' shifting an auto car's gear..... :D (there's no clutch)

EDIT: Oh you meant upshift to save fuel (presumably). Sure, that'll work in most ATs - just feather the throttle.

yes, if i m not in a hurry (ie dont need fast acceleration when the lights turn from red to green, for example), i will feather the throttle to make the upshift take place sooner and at lower rpm.... :D

however, i m not sure if this will cause pre-mature wears and tears of the auto transmission setup [:(]

(edited)

Initially, I had misinterpreted TS's topic - I later realised he was talking about boring upshifts rather than fun downshifts, and edited my post accordingly. :D

But going back to DOWNshifts, I find, at least for my Porsche, that just hitting '-' works almost instantaneously without perceptible lag, whereas a throttle kickdown is less efficient. So for instant overtaking power, I just hit minus on the steering and chiong.

Maybe the Porsche manumatic is designed for better performance (quicker response), I dunno.

talking about downshift/kickdown using an auto / semi-auto box, i find the simplest way is to floor the gas pedal and let the car's 'brain' do the rest..... in fact, i tried full auto vs triptonic mode tracking in the same far at Sepang and found the results not much of a difference although i feel in theory if we push the car real hard for hot laps, triptonic downshift/upshift should yield better lap times........... or it could be simply I am not up to it for track doesnt matter what gearbox the car uses :D:D

Edited by KARTer

dont do that , it tickles [laugh]

talking about downshift/kickdown using an auto / semi-auto box, i find the simplest way is to floor the gas pedal and let the car's 'brain' do the rest..... in fact, i tried full auto vs triptonic mode tracking in the same far at Sepang and found the results not much of a difference although i feel in theory if we push the car real hard for hot laps, triptonic downshift/upshift should yield better lap times........... or it could be simply I am not up to it for track doesnt matter what gearbox the car uses :D:D

Never driven an AT car on track, so dunno yet. But if I track my 911, I'll let you know. :D

you joker...

what i mean is 'manually' shifting an auto car's gear..... :D (there's no clutch)

I am just sharing shifting on my manual [laugh] I just do the normal way ^_^

Never driven an AT car on track, so dunno yet. But if I track my 911, I'll let you know. :D

tomorrow i will up there.... hope you let your 911 stretch its 'legs' on track soon :D

tomorrow i will up there.... hope you let your 911 stretch its 'legs' on track soon :D

Might go up with the P-club guys or Stuttgart, definitely not driving up alone. Safety in numbers. :D

Auto gear...can control pedal to smoothen the upshift?

Wow...u guys can feel when the upshift going to happen and then just split second ease up on the accelerator?

I am impressed.

I always let the auto gear box change without doing anything special with the pedal.

↡ Advertisement