GPS signal blocked by solar film

Sofarsogood

Hello all,

Does anyone have issue with getting a fix on their GPS signal? My windscreen has Llumar solar film installed, and I can hardly get a GPS signal fixed, even after driving around for some time. Is the solar film the culprit, or the curvature of the windscreen?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hello all,

Does anyone have issue with getting a fix on their GPS signal? My windscreen has Llumar solar film installed, and I can hardly get a GPS signal fixed, even after driving around for some time. Is the solar film the culprit, or the curvature of the windscreen?

What gps unit u have ?...

It's the solar film. My previous Garmin 1350 works on existing no brand film. When I changed rp Vkool film, it can't lock on. I thought it spoilt bec its a 4-5 year old set so I gave the old 1350 to a friend to try on his car that uses a no brand film, n the GPS works again.

I got another Garmin 2450 to try and it works. I guess the film does interfere w GPS, but the new GPS with faster more sensitive chips does help

Does your surrounding have tall buildings? Usually solar films won't have a problem with GPS signal. If you are trying find your way in Shenton way where there are many skyscrapers around your GPS signal will most likely be blocked. Or have you been driving in a tunnel or underground carpark? :D

Try to get your car to stop in an open area but dun block other road users lah. Restart your GPS device.

Edited by Watwheels

Does your surrounding have tall buildings? Usually solar films won't have a problem with GPS signal. If you are trying find your way in Shenton way where there are many skyscrapers around your GPS signal will most likely be blocked. Or have you been driving in a tunnel or underground carpark? :D

Try to get your car to stop in an open area but dun block other road users lah. Restart your GPS device.

I drove around a fair bit but the status still showed Not Fixed. I thought it was the weather yesterday but it was clear skies this morning on the Ecp.

I drove around a fair bit but the status still showed Not Fixed. I thought it was the weather yesterday but it was clear skies this morning on the Ecp.

Metallic solar film is the culprit....mine last time V cool also cannot lock.... :D

• Praise 1

You gotto understand how such device work. It's more difficult to get a signal lock when on the move especially if your device is of an older model. That's why I suggest you get your car to park in an open area to get a signal fixed first. If it still fails to get a fix dan connect to a charger and reboot the device.

Edited by Watwheels

What I suggest is, turn it on if it comes with internal battery, get the satellite fixed first, than place it on the dash board, then comment whether the GPS signal is affected or not.

Depends on which v cool...the premium quality got more metallic....

Yes Metallic film might block GPS, ERP or mobile phone signal... [sunny]

Some installer will cut a hole on the windscreen film for better reception... [drivingcar]

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Does anyone know where to retrofit Audi OEM GPS system into Audi car? Not what most of the local installers are using which are Galactio maps. I had tried to retrofit a GPS into my Audi MMI system and the GPS didn't work well. The local installer was using made in China GPS receiver which had problems locking onto the satellitte plus the Galactio map is not crisp and sharp like the stock map (think its a Google map) on Audi Ultra models. As a result, I rejected the GPS.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1