Active vs Passive Setup

Ghunk

Neutral Newbie

Hi! Newbie to the ICE scene. Just wondering what is menat by an ACTIVE setup vs PASSIVE setup?

I was asked by one of the installers whether I want to run my HU as active...... what does it mean?

But from the impression i get, the active setup requires a better HU?

Thanks!!

↡ Advertisement

Why would you want to run an active setup? You will need more channel amplification, good active crossover (most HU built-in crossover not good enough IMO) & a good installer & a GREAT tuner to make it happen.

If you are prepared to spend the $$$ then by all means go for it.

[;)]

Neutral Newbie

hmmm thanks for the prompt reply but that is already too high level already......can explain alittle ?

I dun even know what is active setup....tongue.gifsweatdrop.gif

A set of component speakers consist of tweeter, midbass & passive crossover. In simple term, the job of the crossover is to divide the sound into high for the tweeter & mid/bass for the midbass. The crossover point, slope, phase, alignment are all set by the crossover. So you only need 2 channel of amplification when you run passive cos the power is shared by the tweeter & midbass (split by the crossover).

For active setup, you do not use the passive crossover. You will need an active one (either a proper one or those provided by some of the HU). The sound is "split" by the active crossover then amplified to your speakers. 4 channels of amplification is need for 2 way system & 6 channels for 3 way system. That is the easy part! [sweatdrop]

The difficult part is setting the crossover for optimum sound (crossover point, slope, phase, alignment) taking into consideration the actual car acoustics. Most installers here do not have the tools/test equipment & expertise to do it properly! If you really want it you must be prepare to pay $$$ for the expertise.

Advantage of a proper active system is that it is setup according to your actual setup & acoustics which no passive system can give cos they are designed for generic applications.

Hope this answer your question. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

Hope my layman term helps:

Passive = Using a box tat comes with ur speakers, call "crossover" to link ur tweeters n mid bass driver. only need 1 amp, 2 or 4 channel, all can use.

(Simple method prefer by common players like u n me)

Active = Minus the Crossover box, run 2*Tweeter, 2*Mid bass driver direct to amp. Thus u need to be at least a 4 channel amp or 2*2 channel amps. Furthermore, need a Head unit that can have Crossover function to control.

(most use by people playing Time Alignment function, need experience Tuners to tune setup)

roger???

Neutral Newbie

ok... now i get it... much clearer now! thanks!!

Think will go for passive set up although i am getting p8650 and a 4 channel PG amp.

need a Head unit that can have Crossover function to control.

(most use by people playing Time Alignment function, need experience Tuners to tune setup)

a std alone electronic x-over will be much better then the x-ovr on board the HU...MHO [;)]

"a std alone electronic x-over will be much better then the x-ovr on board the HU...MHO "

any comments on this ? dun seems to hv much pple suing electronic Xovers... all ctrl from HU ....

mice

1. Most people don't know the advantage/features/power of a good active crossover.

2. Most people have never heard of a properly setup active system to know the difference in the first place.

3. Most importantly, most installer do not have the expertise/tools to setup a good active system. That's why they don't promote it!

[:)]

Neutral Newbie

>>a std alone electronic x-over will be much better then the x-ovr on board the HU...MHO >>

WoW!!! [sunny] but due to my low exposure, seldom get a chance to audit good examples of electronic x-over. can share any to learn more? pls.........

Neutral Newbie
need a Head unit that can have Crossover function to control.

a std alone electronic x-over will be much better then the x-ovr on board the HU...MHO [;)]

which electronic x-over are you talking about? would be interested to find out more abt it...

Neutral Newbie
Hi! Newbie to the ICE scene. Just wondering what is menat by an ACTIVE setup vs PASSIVE setup?

I was asked by one of the installers whether I want to run my HU as active...... what does it mean?

But from the impression i get, the active setup requires a better HU?

Thanks!!

imho, if u are a newbie and not too into ICE or dun wanna spend tons on ICE simply get a simple single amp configuaration active setup and you will be more than happy. all the talk on electronic x-overs and equipment to tune sound is actually only for the enthusits, we have the best tuning equipment at the sides of our heads liao. ice competitions emphasis is on a wider criteria and also judges have differing msical tastes and they also have musical staging etc. well, one man's meat is another's poison; if you are happy with the sounds, why bother with others opinions or compare?

active setup have its benefits in being able to avoid and avert power and signal loss going thru a passive crossover so in essence you are getting all the power into the speakers without any loss which is a very efficient setup. a built in HU cross-over going thru amp and active into front speakers and a subwoofer have its beauty in simplicity and big sounds. you get clearer undistorted better staging coupled with bigger sounds and minimal fuss and minimal tweaking; problems are also easier traced. why spend 3 to 5 times more when they probably are only getting at most a small percentage better sounding or staging sounds than you? invest the bulk of the extras on BEST parts and i assure you the previous statement holds true!

Neutral Newbie

wats the disadvantages of active setup?

I heard from a few person that active setup will burn the tweeter easily... True?

bro,

thanks for reply.... i went missing for a while.

seems that i must really spend more time auditin ... n train my tiny mice ears

mice

Neutral Newbie

no passive cross-over to protect the tweeters thats why burn loh. anyway, since running active as long as you dun stretch its High Pass Filter limit, your tweeters will not burn more than your speakers even with passive cross-overs. So, yes its true if you dun know what you are doing and nope its not true if you do it properly loh!

the main problem with running active and stuff is that its a sort of black-magic kind of hoodoo that the ice ppl who spend tons of dollars tell us normal folks who dun wanna spend that exorditant amount that its not for us and then go bragging about their "active" setups and/or "three-amplifier" setups and/or elaborate customised boxes and/or customised placement of speakers blah blah blah... even my regular ice shop who knows me is surprised that i am running active for such a humble setup ages ago when i started meddling with ice with limited resources and even cheekily asked how or who told me this "trick"!!!???!!! "trick"? - bloody hell, this folks actually knows but sort of guarded secret back then. fortunately some kind ice bro showed me round and sampled fantastic CDs, speakers and various tricks like soundproofing, staging (with and without time alignment) etc etc... i was also keen and went further, researching and asking all kinds of questions to all kinds of ppl - in forums (local and overseas), audio companies etc etc.

its additive yes, but doesnt mean the most expensive equipment brings the best, or more equals better or even louder equals better - its all your own individual taste.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

High pass limit meaning - start at lowest freq the specs require like 3khz?

To prevent tweeter from buring out too fast, is there anything to do with the gain or current?

Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement