Car overheating, need advice

Decibel

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hey guys, my 92' Swift has started to overheat recently. Thus far the needle hasn't hit the H mark yet, but as my usual temp is about 1/3 of the way past the Cold mark, this worries me. Yesterday evening in bad start-stop traffic in town, I saw the needle spike up several times to almost the H zone. Luckily it behaved itself later the entire way home on the CTE, maintaining its usual 1/3 reading.

Less than 1hr ago though, I drove to the Library in my neighborhood and when I'd almost reached my home carpark after, I saw the needle spike up again to almost 3/4 mark or so, then it went back to normal.

I'm quite worried, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I recently changed my water pump and flushed/replaced coolant when i did my timing belt, oil change. I left the upper and lower radiator hoses unchanged though, and they do seem a bit worn out to me when I check now. Could this be the case? Or could it possibly be the quality of coolant that the mech suppplied me with?

Finally I have a spare radiator with me, should I just get it changed? Really appreciate all advise, cheers! [:)]

Edited by Decibel
↡ Advertisement

any leakages in the hoses?

Maybe you should do a radiator flush, and see.

My engine overheats most of the time due to broken hoses. [:|]

This start top overheating sounds like a leak of some sort.

Start by checking your coolant colour under the rad cap. If its still the proper green, check for remanance of dried fluid around all the hoses etc, esp at the joints.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Thanks, I must also say that when I drove up to KL about a month or so ago, the needle would rise when I maintained above 100km/h for even relative short periods of time. Before the trip, I had no problems with overheating driving in SG. Any idea what this could mean?

Edited by Decibel

(edited)

Its normal for extended periods of load on the engine for the temp to go up a lil bit... but check as per earlier for leaks first. Don't forget to check around the waterpump incase your mech didn't seal it properly.

i dunno if you want to try this, but bush mechanics say put some eggwhite into the rad and then drive ard... the egg white will show at the leaks. I havent tried it myself but apparantly it works

Edit: Other than that, you can get the cooling system pressure checked for leaks. if theres nothing ask them to change the thermostat ($30 item) just in-case its sticking.

Edited by Elfenstar

Neutral Newbie

Thanks alot guys, will bring the car back to the mechanic and have the water pump and hoses checked [;)]

Neutral Newbie
Hey guys, my 92' Swift has started to overheat recently. Thus far the needle hasn't hit the H mark yet, but as my usual temp is about 1/3 of the way past the Cold mark, this worries me. Yesterday evening in bad start-stop traffic in town, I saw the needle spike up several times to almost the H zone. Luckily it behaved itself later the entire way home on the CTE, maintaining its usual 1/3 reading.

Less than 1hr ago though, I drove to the Library in my neighborhood and when I'd almost reached my home carpark after, I saw the needle spike up again to almost 3/4 mark or so, then it went back to normal.

I'm quite worried, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I recently changed my water pump and flushed/replaced coolant when i did my timing belt, oil change. I left the upper and lower radiator hoses unchanged though, and they do seem a bit worn out to me when I check now. Could this be the case? Or could it possibly be the quality of coolant that the mech suppplied me with?

Finally I have a spare radiator with me, should I just get it changed? Really appreciate all advise, cheers! [:)]

Are u using the right kind of coolant? Green, Orange or Blue? Up to the right mark? I installed a Cusco radiator cooling plate and it helped a bit on my ride, not sure if it could benefit u.

ur mechanic use new original or chiong or recon pump?

the water pump runs on the belt so no electricity involved.

I have had several incidents of overheating:

1. radiator leak

2. hoses leak

3. temperature housing valve leak

4. water pump leak

5. radiator fan too weak/died

Check which one is urs

is the second fan on when the meter starts to rise?? or u would like to check the connector of the second fan... c whether its connected or not...

If no leak...thermostat fan & sensor working fine...then radiator ...choked liao..need flashing...if worst...need to clean up @ those radiator repair shop... [:)]

Neutral Newbie

I really don't know what type of pump he used, will ask thanks. Will also check the thermostat. If say the fault lies with the pump, should i have to pay you think? Was changed 2mths ago.

↡ Advertisement