1.6A optra fuel comsumption

Maxell00

hi, i noticed that my optra, which is 1.5 yrs old, has better fuel mileage lately. It happened suddenly after I have removed the spare tire and fill in shell petrol. maybe just coincident. I used to buy petrol from petronas station. me from malaysia. last time, 1 litre could go for about 7.6km and now 1 litre can go as high as 9.3km. 100% city driving. is it that the engine just ran in, which i heard so much about. The total mileage is only about 12000 km now. I don't use that car very often last time because of poor fuel mileage. Thank you

Regards

↡ Advertisement

Your FC for 1.5L car is scary even if 100% city driving.

I having been using a certain brand of petrol for a long long time. When I switched to Shell, I notice improvement in mileage. Now always use Shell.

hi, i noticed that my optra, which is 1.5 yrs old, has better fuel mileage lately. It happened suddenly after I have removed the spare tire and fill in shell petrol. maybe just coincident. I used to buy petrol from petronas station. me from malaysia. last time, 1 litre could go for about 7.6km and now 1 litre can go as high as 9.3km. 100% city driving. is it that the engine just ran in, which i heard so much about. The total mileage is only about 12000 km now. I don't use that car very often last time because of poor fuel mileage. Thank you

Hi,

I also drive a Optra. I have tried different type brand of petrol : e.g Esso, Mobil, SPC, petrona, Shell, Caltex. Personally, for the optra ride, Shell give me the more mileage. But also read from other threads mention Shell 95 not suitable for optra as they accumulate slug in the engine piston and long term causes the engine to stall [sweatdrop][sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]. Dunno how true. When i go in Malaysia, i pump Shell v-power, hopefully it can clean up the oil slug in the engine.

Will second that ! The Shell petrol somehow does give better mileage. If SHELL have got their act together, guess using SHELL now would not give any problem. I would believe that the slug theory from SHELL fuel carries no weight. Does not make sense that only SHELL petrol would do that !

Driving in city traffic is bad but driving KL city traffic can be a nightmare ! Getting 9.3 km/litre is very good. Guess removing the spare tire would have reduce the load on the car but not really that much. Can you imagine it when you get a puncture and no spare wheel in the middle of the NS highway ?? Better put it back !

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

What do you guys think of any petrol saving items? Eg like Broquet? Does any of you guy have 1 install in your cars? I need review of those petrol saving product. Some say its good and some say it doesnt work..

All these Broquet, Surbo, Slick50, Tornado, stainless steel filter, etc, are all BULL5HIT ! These people just ripe your money from you with all these claim but the best way to save fuel is to use the correct size or smaller tires, fully inflated, clean engine oil, clean air filter, the correct heat range spark plug and a very very light applying right foot !

Regards

[hur] Look Like Hyundai Matrix and Chevrolet Optra also Good Drinker.. [rolleyes]

I have been using 95 since day one. OK leh, no problem. Spec say 95 can mah. Once a while you got to push the rev a bit to blow out the carbon lah.

9 - 10 km per litre quite normal, even my Nissan Sunny is about the same.

Fuel consumption for Optra has been the hot subject since the car appeared here in Sg. I guess for most of us who had choosen Optra, we knew it is going to be higher than the lighter cars around.

I used any brand of petrol and frankly, I didn't notice any significant difference. Alot got to do with your mind too because each time after servicing, you think your car somehow is more powerful.

I guess there is no two ways about this, if your cc is lower and your car is lighter, than of course lower consuption. I Jap car in the same class and weight couldn't have given a higher milage without loosing out in other areas, correct me experts.

Whether it is 9.5 or 10 or 11 Km/ltr, very much also depend on road condition, driver style, tyres, city or highway, stops, traffic condition, etc

My bet, all manufacturers know how to price their car based on what they put in. There are some that are priced higher not because it is technically stronger but branding. Not right to state the brand but some you are actually paying for the name than the actual quality.

↡ Advertisement