Chevrolet Epica 2.0

Shouyi

Hi,

I read in the Life Section of Straits Times today that it comes with a 5-speed manual gearbox? [gossip] . Is that a typo error?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

i think the australian review is too harsh as the australians have too many cheap cars to choose from and IL-6 cars are nothing to them

it really is a nice car but i agree the steering wheel looks too plasticy and cheap....maybe they should look at honda when choosing the next steering wheel design

from the second review :

Verdict:

For: Value, pricing, equipment; better suspension than previous GM-woos

Against: Engine might be smooth, but it is also gutless; ??? sleep-inducing looks

• Praise 1

I was at the launch. I didn't drive the car.

Impressions of the car are that it is fairly nice to look at, it has a bit of Accord Euro if viewed in profile. Door doesn't close with the expected deep thump of a 2 litre executive saloon. It is nice to have tilt/reach steering. Instrument panel looks cheap with its green illumination. General cabin quality is quite good. Electric seats are a nice touch, although I could not find the switch to open/close the sunroof. The rear seating area is surprisingly smaller than the Chevrolet Optra, however it has a voluminous boot that can swallow multiple golf backs.

The engines are not particularly powerful for what they displace.

The thing I most can't get over is, is the pricing. Its not too far off from Honda Civics, if you look at the 1.8 auto it is 82k and you save on road tax, and it is around the same power as the Epica. Can someone remind me again why people buy Korean cars?

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Just test driven this evening the 2L and 2.5L.

I have not driven a made in Korea car for a few years now and i am surprise how far it has come along in terms of build quality, engine and design. Having test driven the Camry recently, I must say the new Epica is not too far behind in terms of comfort. The inline 6 engine is sweet and reminds me of the GM family cars in the US of A.

Me wife also likes it and we are seriously considering. Only major concern is whether this new Epica will become the new target from our local taxi company. Ha ha....

• Praise 1

Not unless their convert to CNG or import the Diesel variant.

The urban cycle FC can kill according to the Straits Time report.

The front and rear head room is too low ... I am only 1.7m short.

No foot rest for the left leg (maybe too deep liao)

4 lug wheel for such a big car.

Bodykit option cost 2.5k more

Factory HU non standard 1 or 2 din slot.

Low 22k OMV > Low price 87k (but not low enough)For around that price can consider a Mazda6 or JDM Accord

Selling point supposed to be the I-6 engine but according to review need to rev even though the peak torque is pretty high compared to cars of same class (Camry/Cefir0/Mazda6/Accord).

Neutral Newbie

was at the launch too last weekend.

overall,for S$79888-2L & S$85888-2.5L pricing.it consider alot of metal within the range.

however,if this "bmw 5series headlamp lookalike" were to pitch with the current camry.i'm afraid it would fall short on it noise.

1st,there is no rear aircon vent,

2nd,passenger seat is manual

3rd,The 2L is gutless in low rev

4th,it not a true blue ang mo car.why make Left Hand signal stalk?

5th,Sunroof are only 1-mode type.either open or close,no tilt mode. [sunny]

lastly,S$3k for a lip-add on bodykit?

but to be fair....it a heavy car(paper spec put it at 1.9ton ! FC will kill. [hur]

and lastly....the Price ! it a whole 10k cheaper then 2L camry.since both dont have HiD. [thumbsdown]

while it not fair to compare to mazda6SP which is few K cheaper and comes with a smaller cabin size but it does have twin exhaust for that Zoom Zoom image. [drivingcar]

• Praise 1

(edited)

just to clarify two points u have made

1. daewoo had followed eu and us spec for their car make and design since day one as the car is design oversea (that's what they had claimed german technology).the indicator is located to the left hand side since their first generation model.

2. I have taken the epica out for ride and the fuel consumption shown on indicate is indeed quite impressive showing 11.6km per L. I can only fetch around 9.5km per L on my honda gsr

Edited by Ferringi2000
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

The Epica has traction control as standard. Space is better in the rear of the the Camry though. Price difference between both cars is $13100 based on current pricing. [sweatdrop]

Unladen weight is just 1500kg.

At the end of the day, both cars have their good points. But if 13k is nothing, go for the Camry. Somehow I just can't get over the fact that a Thai assembled car is priced so high. Considering the fact that the purpose of importing Thai made cars was to sell it at a lower price. [:|]

The difference for the OMV is 7-8K. [:p]

Test drove the car, steering is light, power is alright for me (I'm pretty slow off the lights anyway) and it's quiet (no Lexus quiet but good enough), the 5 speed shifts smoothly as well. Wanted to test drive the Camry back to back but it was not in the showroom. Duh!! [:|]

Edited by Hogster
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

well...i had nothing agianst korea made.infact,it nice to see korea made matching japs quality in such short years.

regarding EU & USDM spec but not sold in there.it not by Law to "follow" the LH signal stalk.some other make in SG are also "EU export spec" from japan.it more about cost-saving as less parts are needed/managed for the same production line.Merc used to be LH signal stalk too but laterly,Asian export CBU comes with RH signal stalk.

Trip computer need some "time period" b4 it would reflect proper accurate reading.atless not with the "standard" route provided by starauto....it just too short to reflect actuate FC.

9.5km/L for a DC5 sounds good.i had a 2003 DC5 last time which clock only 8km/L but thats due to the heavy clutch & less torque output from the K20A engine.

cheers

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Epica 2.5 LT - S$85888 launch special price,usual as of now S$88888.

Camy 2.4 Auto - S$99988,

different of S$14100

OMV

Epica - SE claim 22k

Camy 2.4 - S$29085 (state at MTA )

possible different of S$7085

for the OMV different in term of taxation;

ARF : S$7k x 110% = S$7700

custom tax : S$7k x 20% = S$1400

GSt : S$7k x 7% = 490

sum up : S$9590

so Borneo motor "made" around est 4.5k more then Starauto.assume ceteris paribus

unladen weight - means the car w/o oil,fuel,spare tire,human,battery etc

one should look at Gross vehicle weight instead.at 1985kg for epica & 1970kg for camry.both are heavy weight cars. [hur]

ham down to spec bewteen Camy & Epica.

Camry : 167PS@6k RPM , 224NM@4k RPM

Epica : [email protected] RPM , 237NM@4k RPM

*Epica will feel better while moving off traffic lite due to the torque differents. [thumbsup]

comfort creature.(only name those thats different)

Camry : HiD w Auto leveling,TCS + VDC,true keyless entry & push start buttom,bluetooth ready HU,Plasma cluster Aircon w rear aircon vent, power passenger seat.

Epica : sunroof

*Camry still top the comfort spec list.at 5k more earning for the dealer.it personal preference to pick. [thumbsup]

As such,is Epica a nice & reasonable car to own? Yes....in my view.the car has decent spec & acceptable look/handling BUT not at this price marker.

resale value curve for the Epica are unlike Camry which seems to be prefer by most SGians.

if the differents between the Camry & Epica were 10k different in "earning".that would make the Epica more "sellable".

just my view. [cool]

Edited by Nitehawk

(edited)

Very insightful review, and I agree with most of your points. The price positioning of the Epica need to be lower by about 3k to make a stronger market impact. Also, the reliability and easy serviceability of that inline-6 mounted across the car is unknown. Many parts of the engine may be hard to reach (eg belts/compressors/waterpumps) hence more servicing costs.

The gross vehicle weight is the kerb (unladen) weight of the car plus maximum allowable fully laden weight. So it might be more correct to use unladen weight as a yardstick.

Having said that, the engine refinement and general NVH suppression is hard to beat for this price segment.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1

(edited)

It's a GMDAT developed engine. New stuff. Dunno whether it can work. sweatdrop.gif Anyway, an IL6 is actually a lot less complicated than an IL4. However it is is transversely mounted to fit it as an FWD. IL6 engines are big. You have only this little engine bay space. Forget independant workshops for this fella.

Edited by Genie47
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1