S80 or E200?

Vit4wd

S80 or E200?  

106 members have voted

1. 1.

• Volvo S80 2.5T - S$7,700/yr
    • Mercedes Benz E200 - S$12,000/yr

Tell me - why would anyone want to pay a hefty premium for a 1.8l E200 at S$12,000/yr when they can have a much more powerful 2.5l turbo Volvo S80 for only S$7,700/yr?

S80

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2EnH27ow-1076.html

E200

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2EniU1oW-1076.html

Is it purely the Mercedes badge that Mercedes owners / prospective buyers are going for?

I don't see how the S80's overall features, reliability, handling and ride comfort can lose out to the E200.

Given a choice between these 2, which would you choose?

Why?

* Both cars are 3 yrs old

Edited by Vit4wd
↡ Advertisement

I posted my experience about 3 yrs back when I was contemplating these cars. In the end, you cannot judge by paper specs. You have to walk around, sit in, and drive.

S80: Value for money, but the previous S80 simply lacks the character of BMW and Merc. Interior is uninspiring, handling a notch less than others. A competent up from the likes of Cefiro/Camry, but no in the league of the premium Germans.

A6: Then the 2.4 was not in, so although I liked the looks and interior, it was not in consideration. The current FSI 2L model seems to be a good choice.

520 then: Very good choice. Driver's sedan.

E200: I was actually against the Merc, but my spouse asked me to try it out. I was a convert after that. True, not as good in handling compared to the 520, but the build quality and luxuriousness is unparalled. With a bit of tuning, the 1.8L Kompressor is a sleeper engine. Still waiting for my spouse to give the go ahead with the Kleemann. But current E200K is a good 184bhp, so even stock, it's more than competent.

The Merc may be better in certain aspects, but is it worth OR how does it justify that extra S$30,000 premium over its remaining 7 yr lifespan?

It's just personal choice.

How do we justify a Civic's premium over Altis? Or an A4 over a Passat? Or E200/520/A6 over S80/Cefiro/Camry/Euro R? Or SLK/Boxster over Integra/RX-8/MX-5?

They really appeal to different groups of people, that' all.

Okay

I so am gonna support s80..

cause

my bro in law has 2 s80's and he's lovin them..

HAHA..

HE WAS DRIVING up KL for some meeting and he was telling me... the s80.. with the turbo and everything.. beat rex's and civic's who wanted to race with him..

Plus i sat in the car when it was at 140km/h?

OHMYGOD

super stable... and like..

Solid..

Plus s80 has lots of safety features..

I mean merc.. u can get the..

I HAVE A MERC kind of feeling..

but i feel the s80 is much betteer.

No PUN intended...

Sorry..

Just listing my thots..

ehs orry.. i mean..

he has one..

my sis has one.

HAHA..

they love s80's///

L;OL...

sorry lah..

i not rich.. so i cant enjoy their kind of life...

Imagine.. my sis one s80.. my bro in law.. one s80.. HAWT STUFF MAN!!

Ah Boy,

so your Bro-i-L and sis is in love with volvo and you are in love with nissan or maybe Tan Chong..

Is there any other people in your family that like other marques? [:p]

People buy things with all sort of criteria.

Vblaster_w211 have sort of explain in a very clear way.

if you want a vague one, why would people want to buy a lambo or Aston Martin when a QQ can also bring them from point A to B?

It's still a car.

Same with Volvo and Merc. Or even a BMW, Lexus, Audi or even Saab.

As for your last question, I guess we are all tired of these "if you were... " type of questions.

Surprisingly, you are still going strong with new thread almost everyday...

So can i ask "why"?

Neutral Newbie

Hi all

I am new year and thus cannot start a new thread and was searching through and found this. Please forgive me for stealing the thread but in a dilema to choose a car to buy.

1. BMW 523 $171,000

2. BMW 520 $151,000

3. Merc E200 $168,000

4. Volvo S80 $145,000

I am currently driving iS200 and would love to try a continental car. What I am concerned is maintenance costs and reliability of course, drivability (how good the car performs). I am not good at techical specs, so any advice is great.

I know the above is pretty vague, can anyone give me some advice?

Are u talking about S60? Dun think S80 will be priced at 145k.

I think u stick to cars with RWD since your current car is RWD. IMO U'll find that FWD(Volvo) handling is not as crisp as RWD. But in terms of maintenence Volvo do offer better options to help your wallet.

Everything pro comes at a price. [:/]

you are new year???

anyway i voted for S80

its a no brainer.

523 is out because i dont fancy a detuned engine. feel short changed.

520 isnt exactly a beemer with its underpower engine plus 4 cylinder

E200 is good but taxis are using it. Also, too many of them on the road and built quality isnt exactly top notch. my friend's E200's interior (SFB car plate) is really looking like a proton with letters fading etc.

S80, i've driven the new one. its such a gem. However, being a turbo, i donno if ownership will be bad, engine is too big for me at 2.5litre. i'ld prefer 2litre turbo