Expired Engine Oil?

Vit4wd

Spotted a retailer selling Caltex Havoline manufactured on 15 Nov 2004.

Is this engine oil still OK to be used?

Will its efficiency be reduced?

post-1-1175268735.gif

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

actually engine oil will not degrade if seal is not open , unless of cos the specific manufacturer had stated a expiry date for it, engine oil degrade is bcos after running in the engine it is heated constantly , wher by the vicosity change day by day , after some time lubrication of the oil doesnt work that well any more , thus cause the to wear more than normal

since you are the one paying $$ for it, might as well get the bottle with the latest mfg date. If they give a discount for that early mfg date bottle, then can consider whether worth or not.

Hi all,

I bought one can of 5W-40 shell Helix Ultra oil 5 years ago at discount price, but due to under warranty service always at AD, no chance to use it,

now warranty finished, I will service in outside workshop, don't know whether the oil still ok, or expired?

Spotted a retailer selling Caltex Havoline manufactured on 15 Nov 2004.

Is this engine oil still OK to be used?

Will its efficiency be reduced?

pic a bit blur

but i read the date as 04 nov 2015.

they put manufacture ah?

Hi all,

I bought one can of 5W-40 shell Helix Ultra oil 5 years ago at discount price, but due to under warranty service always at AD, no chance to use it,

now warranty finished, I will service in outside workshop, don't know whether the oil still ok, or expired?

Engine oill not expire but the additives will or rather breakdown the oil.

Can you see the engine oil thru the bottle?

If yes, I'm sure that the bottom layer will large deposits of the additives.

Hi all,

Engine oil "expires" when it's being used in an engine, not so much sitting virgin on a shelf.

It may absorb moisture over time, but it should be burned out pretty fast in a hot engine.

Make sure to shake the bottle first, in case any additive settles down at the bottom.

Engine oil expires more bcuz it's outdated in terms of spec.

Example, in USA you may find API-SA oil which is non-detergent and the spec is outdated for most modern cars.

dude... you are replying to a post 7 years ago...

Oops.

Haha.

I always like to have head have tail mah

So traced back to origins 😁

Engine oil "expires" when it's being used in an engine, not so much sitting virgin on a shelf.

It may absorb moisture over time, but it should be burned out pretty fast in a hot engine.

Make sure to shake the bottle first, in case any additive settles down at the bottom.

Engine oil expires more bcuz it's outdated in terms of spec.

Example, in USA you may find API-SA oil which is non-detergent and the spec is outdated for most modern cars.

I'm going away got 2 wks in Dec

So shld I do my servicing before or after the trip?

Before means old oil sitting around in engine

After means open new oil to sit around in engine, hastening 'expiry'

Or 2 wks too short to make any diff?

I'm going away got 2 wks in Dec

So shld I do my servicing before or after the trip?

Before means old oil sitting around in engine

After means open new oil to sit around in engine, hastening 'expiry'

Or 2 wks too short to make any diff?

Engine oil is 2 parts, base oil + additives.

Additives wear out, gets depleted, while protecting engines when it's being used. That's the part I meant by "expiring".

2 weeks not going to make much difference.

If you have to make a choice, I guess after your trip would be better.

Engine oil siting inside the engine is constantly being "attacked" by contaminants, carbon content, acid formation from water condensed inside the engine. That's why short trip is not good. There's not enough time to burn off the water content which caused wear and tear.

In cold countries, garage queens are often drained off of engine oil before keeping for long storage.

Engine oil is 2 parts, base oil + additives.

Additives wear out, gets depleted, while protecting engines when it's being used. That's the part I meant by "expiring".

2 weeks not going to make much difference.

If you have to make a choice, I guess after your trip would be better.

Engine oil siting inside the engine is constantly being "attacked" by contaminants, carbon content, acid formation from water condensed inside the engine. That's why short trip is not good. There's not enough time to burn off the water content which caused wear and tear.

In cold countries, garage queens are often drained off of engine oil before keeping for long storage.

If seal is opened (but with cap screwed on), eo is sitting inside the bottle......how long can the eo be kept b4 expiring?

The crude oil has been in the gorund for millions of years - no expiry!

Engine oil comes from crude too, so same principle should applies!

piak my fore head.....lol.... u prob right... [:)]

• Praise 1

If seal is opened (but with cap screwed on), eo is sitting inside the bottle......how long can the eo be kept b4 expiring?

Should be alright, don't worry too much about expiry.

The main thing about engine is that it must have enough oil.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1