Alternator - How to tell if it is kapoot!!!???

Nullbig

Bros & Sistas,

Appreciate help on this .....

My battery was recently very flat....then I suspected that the battery was probably up the lorry liao...changed another one amd less than 4 weeks, also up the lorry again...

Brought to a tyre and battery workshop....worry like sxxt if the alternator was kapoot as I suspected that the battery was not being charged during driving...but mechanic see see look look... say alternator not spoilt....confirm.....its something got to do with my battery clamps...that is causing 'battery leakage'....unimpressed.gifunimpressed.gif

Now got myself a new maintenance battery, all just in 01 month...bigcry.gifbigcry.gifbigcry.gif

So, any wise Chia Sin here, how do we know if its just the battery or the alternator is up the lorry... pls help!!!! bigcry.gifbigcry.gif

↡ Advertisement

Get a voltage meter/gauge or use a multimeter on the battery when the engine is running.

Should get anything above 14+V, means your battery is being charged by the alternator. If still at 12+V, then it's not charging.

Or could it be that when you switch your ign switch off, the car isn't really off? so the battery's being drained throughout the night..

Don't understand what your mech meant by 'battery leakage' though. can collect the leak and then sell back to him? [laugh]

(edited)

Bro, can't be lah....I not so careless leh....driving for like 11 years liao...I only left my headlights on for once in my driving career some 8 yrs ago...for only 1 hr niah....

I ask the mechanic and he say :

1. If alternator spoilt, the car will die off with the battery terminals off the battery when the engine is running...

2. The brake will become unresponsive....

I can't really figure out the logic of point 2 too as I tot most brake calliper systems are hydraulic, rather than electronic...

Serious, any other experts, pls comment...I think this is very useful for all other non-car-mechanical-savy members like me.....thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Edited by Nullbig

(edited)

as what Yc86 bro has said, ur mechanic can confirm for you whether the alternator is still working using voltmeter [nod]

other than that, when u disconnect the battery, try to put it back, maintain a small contact with between the battery terminal and connector and check for sparks. if u see sparks it means something is drawing the battery even when the car is off. if that happens, disconnect ur battery whenever u stop ur car until u find the culprit. but note the alarm won't work once battery is disconnected but i think in sg it should be safe to do so [:)]

Edited by En0203

Neutral Newbie

If your charging system is faulty, you'll get a battery warning sign on your dashboard. It happened to my old ride too. Even you changed to a new battery, it will be gone in about 2 days.

Get your alternator checked, and replace if necessary. Or you can gamble and get a recon one too. I changed mine, cost me $700! crazy.gif

Yeah Yeah Yeah! That's what happened to me lah... 02 batteries gone in like 04 weeks...I am very worried about my maintenance free now....other than mechanic, I guess there is no other easier way for us to determine if ithe alternator is kapoot?? It is very expensive piece of mechanism in the car...I very worried...

Will bring my car to Comfrot Delgro to get them to diagnose with their equipment tomorrow....Cannot pray pray....

I dun know really....but since it is belt driven, I can't really tell... The belt is rotating continuously...

Can borrow a voltmeter to check,turn on engine,off all accesories like radio,air con.

Check battery terminals if reading below 12V then alternator kaput

I think it's a good idea to buy a voltmeter....sometimes a cheap one like $20+ is reasonably ok liao and most imptly can serve it's purpose in many ways. My personal opinion is no need to buy those top range $100-$200.

For me, most of the time I use the "beep" function of my multimeter only. Beep beep beep!

Neutral Newbie

If your alternator is really kaput, then your maintenance battery won't last you too long! Get your alternator checked pronto, if not, you're gonna look for another battery liao!

Meantime, park your car backside in first... cos if tomorrow you can't start your car, it's easier to sambung! I learnt these "survival skills" from my old banger! [;)]

Hi,

Your charge warning light will light-up if the alternator is producing less the 6 or 8 volts depending on car type. Another way to check is to disconnect the battery when the engine is running, if the alternator is down the car will stall, the reason is once the car engine is running the alternator provides all the electrical power apart from charging the battery. If all this shows that the alternator is good, you must then suspect your charging system.

can PM or put coy name here or not?? Good for other members who has similiar problem...Moderators should be able to understand lah...no commercial interest one lah...thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Thks for the advise..Me went to get a set of charge cables liao at Caltex on Saturday.....I now then know why they are available....for cars like mine....bigcry.gifbigcry.gifbigcry.gif..

Even called my mechanic and ask him how to start using another car..... I am sure many already know, but I just think it will be good for me to share again...

1. Car A : Rescue Car, Car B : Kapoot Car

2. Drive Car A head first close to front of Car B, leave CAr A engine on (Impt!!)

3. Connect the + of Car A battery to the + of Car B (does not matter what color cable to use first), and - of Car A battery to - of Car B battery.

4. Start Car B.

5. Once Started, can take of cable from Car B first and then keep them..

I know its idiot guide, but with modern cars, dun think many know how to do this properly when meet up such incidents...

↡ Advertisement