BEWARE : eBay + Paypal fraud in SG

Chromas

Dear MCF bros and sis,

I just received a phone call at around 3:30pm today with the following message:-

"Hi sir, I am from eBay Paypal services. We are currently doing a free verification service for our members. At a time convenient for you, one of our consultants will guide you through a step-by-step process online in order to get this done."

At this point, I grew suspicious and hung up the phone.

For everyone info, I'm posting the first few numbers of the phone that called me (as per advice from our moderators in MCF).

6760-xxxx

PM me for more information on the above. So far, I've asked and it's pointless to call the police on this matter as there hasn't been any real fraud taken place, nor has the person actually taken down any information from me, not even my name, except for having had my handphone number to begin with.

With this message, I'm not saying that eBay or Paypal are not genuinely conducting such a program, but that since the manner in which this lady approached me seems dubious, I am leaning towards the side of caution.

I am investigating this matter directly with eBay customer service staff members

Edited by Gadgeter
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I too received the call. I told tell straight..I have never transacted on ebay or applied any paypal services...how the hell do they have my contacts....the lady on the call tried to back peddle...and later said..sorry dial the wrong number.

Neutral Newbie

i dont pick up number i dont know..

if urgent they'll leave a voice mail and i decide if i want to return the call..

simple

Edited by Wolverman

You should send all the important information to Paypal and eBay. They will do their investigation and take legal action if they deemed appropriate.

I heard some people received calls where the caller says they are checking on the mobile line and ask to press some numbers. If u follow the 'instruction' they will be able to access your sim card and make calls... [sweatdrop]

Anyone got such call before?

Edited by Annalynnie

Nah.. just tell them no time.. will do the verification when you log onto paypal.

Recently, there's also a surge of email asking for account update as well. but not done professionally coz using yahoo email [:p]

to add on, it would be good to remove the credit card details that is stored in paypal. thus even if they got access to your account, they can't do much coz there's no credit details for them to complete the transaction.

eBay bought Paypal long time ago. smile.gif

But in any case, they will not take the initiation to ask you to verify user status unless use triggers a transaction. Thanks for the reminder! thumbsup.gif

Dear MCF bros and sis,

I just received a phone call at around 3:30pm today with the following message:-

"Hi sir, I am from eBay Paypal services. We are currently doing a free verification service for our members. At a time convenient for you, one of our consultants will guide you through a step-by-step process online in order to get this done."

At this point, I grew suspicious.

1. eBay & Paypal are two seperate companies

2. eBay does not have a eBay Paypal service department that does phone verification

3. This phone call smelled as fishy as those email scams asking you to go online to verify your eBay / Paypal accounts

For everyone info, I'm posting the first few numbers of the phone that called me (as per advice from our moderators in MCF). Please be very wary of such a potential scam phone call.

6760-xxxx

PM me for more information on the above. So far, I've asked and it's pointless to call the police on this matter as there hasn't been any real fraud taken place, nor has the person actually taken down any information from me, not even my name, except for having had my handphone number to begin with.

Wait a darn second there... I DON'T HAVE AN EBAY ACCOUNT AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And my paypal account has been inactivated cos I haven't touched it for so long

WHAT THE HELL IS THE HONG KONG / CHINA B!TCH TRYING TO IMPLY IN THE PHONE CALL... I ought to send her to the firing squadrifle.gif

Sounds like a good suggestion... if police can't act of this matter due to lack of criminal actions, then at least can warn the public

Too many email / phone scams these days... my paypal account is long closed / inactivated already with an old credit card number that has since been cancelled already

Yes Ebay owns Paypal. My paypal acct was recently "limited" meaning i had limited access n couldn't do transfers. They claimed they needed more info from me n requested for me to send them a utility bill to comfirm my address. All this was online thou, no calls..

But one thing bout Paypal, they damn slow in resolving problems wif the acct [shakehead]

Wait a darn second there... I DON'T HAVE AN EBAY ACCOUNT AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And my paypal account has been inactivated cos I haven't touched it for so long

WHAT THE HELL IS THE HONG KONG / CHINA B!TCH TRYING TO IMPLY IN THE PHONE CALL... I ought to send her to the firing squadrifle.gif

DAt probably explains it la bro, they just wanna verify if u r still using this acct. For security reasons incase someone else is using it or something like dat...

Btw did the Beeatch on the line really sound foreign, like thai or honkee ya? Hahaha i called their customer service line few days ago to complain bout my acct n 2 diff charbors tok to me, both i really had a hard time understanding their ang moh man [laugh]

↡ Advertisement