Road Trip to Ipoh

Astro

Just came back from a road trip recently to Ipoh. As it is the first time up North, I relied on the GPS to guide me all the way. After the trip, I had a discussion with my colleague and was told that the route I've taken is not the fatest. The GPS guided me through KL, paid some toll and continued onto the NS expressway. My friend was saying that there is a direct link all the way north till I reach Ipoh before paying toll. Could someone probably advise me where is this connecting point and what should I look out for on the next trip. Thanks a million

↡ Advertisement

The last time I went Ipoh in 06, the GPS actually skipped KL entry totally leh and went on to Ipoh. Which GPS dveice and map are you using? I'm using Mapking.

Regards,

Using the Garmin GPS unit with Malsingmaps. The setting on the GPS is fastest route and I thought so till my friend said that the route propsoed is troublesome as it lead you through KL and that will take time. Instead I should just travel on the expressway all the way..

Before KL, there is a left branch to join another highway to Ipoh/airport. Then another right turn (should be) to other highway back the NS highway to Ipoh again. Please observe the road sign. There are two BIG sign telling you which way to go. For Highway, please dont reply much on GPS.

(edited)

Drove up during Mar holiday.

The KL bypass expressway is called ELITE

http://www.plus.com.my/elite.asp

But I heard.. is a 45 min detour passing by KLIA.

Instead, I planned to go through KL, exiting KL near Batu Caves.

However.. after clearing Sungei Besi.. follow signs.. end up taking a new route paying 3 tolls, zigzagging among flyovers/ Damansara, and end up mid way of the ELITE expressway. Surprisingly, this 3 toll route.. traffic is smooth, only took me 25min to clear KL area.

But.. so far.. I see no map showing the way I took. so..I also dunno how to describe. Perhaps got brothers here can point me to new maps or explain more clearly.

Edited by Yoongf

Yes, as another bro here pointed out, the ELITE highway (exit at Nilai exit 214 if I remember correctly) is the option to take so to bypass going into KL.

For me, I prefer this as there's no toll to pay till the actual exit at Ipoh or whichever town that is further up from KL.

There's also little traffic along the ELITE HWY, so its easy and relaxing to drive.

In my GPS, I store this Nilai exit. So whenever I use the GPS to navigate past KL, I'll put that as via point in order to bypass KL.

Thanks for the information. Will try that on the next trip. By the way for the trip back will it be the exact opposite ? Might sound stupid to pose this question

To be exactly, the exit to ELITE (E6) is ard KM280 marker, right after Nilai Utara exit... can't miss, brightly lit at night [;)]

Yes, coming back will be opposite direction.

U'll be passing KLIA and Putrajaya exit in this stretch of the NS link

Neutral Newbie

I also use the E6 Elite highway on my way to Cameron using a GPS on Malsingmaps.

Yeap, Malsingmaps will try to guide you via KL.

Even when I was travelling via E6, it will ask me to exit to a highway towards KL [:|]

So u got to keep IGNORING the GPS lor until u r back on the KL-IPOH highway [:p]

As highlighted, there is much less traffic at E6. Easy to drive [laugh]

Think the toll will be more than RM70 when reaching Ipoh exit [sweatdrop]

On the way back, just follow the signboard "Johor Bahru".

It will lead you through E6 Elite too [:)]

And IGNORE the Malsingmaps GPS route.

Use the GPS to alert you on the Speed Trap areas along the NSH [lipsrsealed]

Hypersonic
Using the Garmin GPS unit with Malsingmaps. The setting on the GPS is fastest route and I thought so till my friend said that the route propsoed is troublesome as it lead you through KL and that will take time. Instead I should just travel on the expressway all the way..

If you looked at the Malsing map route, it is indeed the more direct route. But have to go thru heavy traffic in KL and pay an extra toll.

My last trip got lao jiao guide us, so we went by the E6. Lesser traffic.

Sorry to OT but what is in Ipoh ah? Any intersting places to visit?

I always hear people talking about Ipoh but I have not been there before.... I am wondering what is the place like.

Learn to look out for all the signs and be alert. I have traveled in Malaysia all this time without GPS and have managed to survive with a street directory only. [laugh]

Is there like a food stretch or are they scattered all over the place? Also what type of food are they famous for??? Dun tell me Ipoh Hor Fun...... [:p]

Neutral Newbie

i would say food will be nearby to each other..

they got nice timsum.. nice soya bean.. the only drive thru' soya bean drink and beancurd street stall i know of :)