Last Resort - Sue My Neighbour...

Poper

Bro/sis,

My neighbour (#08-126) upstair's toilet floor worn out and causes ceiling damage on neighbour downstair (#07-126). Because I live diagonally below (#07-124), I also kanna and worse, at my bed-room ceiling. Since the case has been logged with HDB, I'll prefer to let them settle.

After near 2 months, my ceiling gets from bad to worse and now worse with recent heavy rain.

HDB told me that because #08-126 disputed on repair cost and thus, can't repair. I don't want to get involved but I'm a victim. [:|]

I'm planning for worse case scenario; if #08-126 continue not to repair and thus, my ceiling got badly damaged (concrete fell-out, furniture stained); can I sue the neighbour and claim property damage + legal fee on them? This is the last resort I want to take.

TIA!

↡ Advertisement

Check with HDB for financial assistance scheme (it's quite substantial) for repairs. You will then need to go to Meet your MP session and submit your case (usually will get approved).

For my bro case, the upstair owner bargain with HDB. The HDB pay 50%, upstair 25% and my bro the other 25%.

If no bargain, upstair 50% and downstair 50% rule apply.

Cannot settle, meet the MP of your estate.

It is really difficult when dealing with such people....they could either be stingy or really have no money

Agreed.. this is my 3rd round of ceiling issue... sigh.. [shakehead] 1 x common toilet, 1 x master toiler and now bed-room ceiling (didn't know I'm diagonal to upperstair toilet [bigcry] )

For 1st case, the old man came down and KPKB.. 2nd one co-operative, this one I don't feel good [shakehead] Esp now economic slow-down, i think sure give excuses one..

Anyway, rule #1, my house and family comes first. If I need to do it, I'll do whatever is "it". [whip]

I kenna similiar case as yours few years ago.

During the upgrading of my house, my neighbour

directly above take the chance to do renovation.

Then my kitchen celling cracked with a big hole.

Remember vividly that I wrote an email to HDB

CEO, deputy CEO to complain at 10pm.

Next morning at about 9am, several HDB officers

with contractor appear at my doorstep. I was shocked

at the fast response and the number of pple that came.

Problems was fixed FOC and goodwill.

Edited by Mahjong74

Bro/sis,

My neighbour (#08-126) upstair's toilet floor worn out and causes ceiling damage on neighbour downstair (#07-126). Because I live diagonally below (#07-124), I also kanna and worse, at my bed-room ceiling. Since the case has been logged with HDB, I'll prefer to let them settle.

After near 2 months, my ceiling gets from bad to worse and now worse with recent heavy rain.

HDB told me that because #08-126 disputed on repair cost and thus, can't repair. I don't want to get involved but I'm a victim. [:|]

I'm planning for worse case scenario; if #08-126 continue not to repair and thus, my ceiling got badly damaged (concrete fell-out, furniture stained); can I sue the neighbour and claim property damage + legal fee on them? This is the last resort I want to take.

TIA!

Bro, no such thing. HDB has got all the rights to make them foot the repair bill 50/50.

If they refuse, they can get evicted from flat. That's what I was told when I kena spalling ceiling

Bro/sis,

TIA!

you all 3 sit down and nego lor.... maybe something like 20% 40% 40% lor

settle faster also easy for you... rather then waste time and money on lawyer

I try not to get involved until no choice..

Probably, wait till the next inspection from HDB in a week or two. If still dun agree to repair with the downstair neighbour, then I will act accordingly..

if upstairs toilet has not been renovated, then it is 50-50 sharing unless hdb pays for part. actually, if before 5 years, hdb pays in full i think cos of the warranty thingy.

if upstairs toilet was renovated before, then u should not pay cos it is their contractor who did a sxxt job.

Why not use your intended Lawyer fees, that you will have to spend if you sue your neighboure, and 'loan' it to your neighbours and let them do the repair ASAP?

This way, win-win-win situation.

Maybe your neighbour will even ask his pretty daughter/wife to give you one box of delicious mooncakes in return.

Make peace no war!

• Praise 1