Cyber-bully cases on the rise

Hishercar

Anybody really know what a cyber-bully is?

When does one label someone a cyber-bully?

Are there cyber-bully in this forum?

What are the signs of a cyber-bully?

Does Moderator really take action on if there are any cyber-bully in this forum?

thanks

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Anybody really know what a cyber-bully is?

A cyber-bully is someone who causes emotional hurt or defamatory damage to another person. Note that the underlined needs to take place. If someone insults, scolds, demeans another without any hurt or damage done; cyber-bulling is not deemed to have taken place. As for definitions of emotional hurt, it needs to be great enough to have affected normal daily functioning such as your job/school/family etc.

When does one label someone a cyber-bully?

As mentioned above for official label. Of course unofficially people may have their personal differences in placing this label.

According to the official definitions, I don't think so; unless the admins know of a legal case involved. If your definitions are to the degree of "annoyance", then yes, there are some who border on that (mabbe myself at times? [lipsrsealed] )

What are the signs of a cyber-bully?

Signs have to viewed from the victim's perspective and the degree of emotional or defamatory damages done. Do you feel as if you've been bullied online?

Does Moderator really take action on if there are any cyber-bully in this forum?

I don't know. Maybe they can answer that themselves.

thanks

You're welcome.

Do note that most cyber-bulling cases involve minors who are still in the process of ego-identity formation, and whom have yet to establish an anchor relative to their social environment. This places them in a particularly vulnerable position to be "bullied". Grown men who exchange cyber-spit at one another rarely counts as a bullying case.

thanks

ST today wrote about cyber bully

there seems to be some of it here (at least a tiny bit)

there are times I feel some gang up against some one

I sure hate to be the ONE

as I only wanted to come here to destress and learn from you guys

you guys are really entertaining

that is wny I keep coming back

thank you again

if adults can be "cyber-bullied", the bullies are either very malicious, or the victim is simply a total loser.

can don't return to the forum mah.. [rolleyes]

anyway, for those who like pple to bash them, they are attention seeking, those who bash them are not bullying, but rather, encouraging them [idea]

thanks

yes. Mod do act on cyber bullies. their access will be limited in the forum. Make a guess who kena before? [lipsrsealed]

Facebook and Media Development Authority join hands to prevent cyber bullying
PUBLISHED ON FEB 9, 2015
BY JALELAH ABU BAKER
fbbbullyd0902e.jpg
The site, called the Bullying Prevention Centre, provides resources for teens, parents, and teachers in Singapore, was launched here after its success in the United States and Britain. -- PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM FACEBOOK
SINGAPORE - Facebook and the Media Development Authority (MDA) on Monday launched a site for the prevention of cyber bullying.
The site, called the Bullying Prevention Centre, provides resources for teens, parents, and teachers in Singapore, was launched here after its success in the United States and Britain. Its launch comes in time for the Safer Internet Day on Tuesday, a global initiative that invites everyone - young people, parents, teachers, educators, industry and safety organizations - to come together to focus on what can be done to "create a better Internet together".
The site gives people being bullied information on what they can do when they experience something upsetting, recommendations to adults who want to help, as well as guidance to the person accused of bullying on why they have upset someone and how they can make it better, said Facebook and the Media Literacy Council, which is part of MDA.
Specific actions, including links to Facebook's reporting tools, are listed for each audience. Facebook will also direct anyone who reports bullying via Facebook's reporting tools to the Bullying Prevention Centre.
Professor Tan Cheng Han, Chairman of the Media Literacy Council, said: "The Internet is just like the real world but consequences are often magnified in the online world. It is our collective responsibility to make the world, Internet or otherwise, better."
The site is created by Facebook engineers and Yale Centre for Emotional Intelligence, and it will be promoted to students and teachers through a series of activities run by the Media Literacy Council from Feb 10 to May 2015.
"The new Bullying Prevention Centre is part of our ongoing commitment to provide safeguards to the people who use Facebook, especially young people. We hope that by putting this kind of information at people's fingertips when they need it we will be able to help them resolve these conflicts," said Mia Garlick, head of policy for Facebook Australia and New Zealand.
The site can be accessed at https://www.facebook.com/safety/bullying.

(edited)

hi,

got a friend , got insulted and bully quite badly at work.

she has tendered his resignation letter and is currently serving his notice.

but the female boss kept on with her antics, such as asking her to re-do the budget for close to 10 over times and asking her to go back to office at 230pm on a sat citing that she needs the report asap.

my friend had print screen all the sms exchanges and email. should she post them to the online forum and expose this female bully.

she too found out that she bluff her resume . she was only employed as an marketing executive and was only employed for 8 months but indicated she was there for 5 years.

what the worst that could happen to her if all these are placed online

Edited by Staff69

hi,

got a friend , got insulted and bully quite badly at work.

she has tendered his resignation letter and is currently serving his notice.

but the female boss kept on with her antics, such as asking her to re-do the budget for close to 10 over times and asking her to go back to office at 230pm on a sat citing that she needs the report asap.

my friend had print screen all the sms exchanges and email. should she post them to the online forum and expose this female bully.

she too found out that she bluff her resume . she was only employed as an marketing executive and was only employed for 8 months but indicated she was there for 5 years.

what the worst that could happen to her if all these are placed online

Hi,

First, I wanna express my sadness upon reading your post and I feel really sorry for your friend

This is a terrible thing that she has gone through and I cannot imagine that such nasty boss actually exist in today's civilized world and moreover in our homeland SG where almost everyone has gone through a proper education and consider ourselves amongst the best in the region.

I m happy to know that your friend will be leaving such toxic environment & a bully at work

It's difficult to advise on his/her next steps without understanding the full details but these are the things he/she could consider

1. Since resignation has been submitted, has exit interview been conducted? Many companies do have this and she can also voice out her concerns

2. Has he/she considered reporting workplace bullying to her company's HQ or relevant department?

3. If she posts all this online, will she breach any company's confidentiality agreement which he/she may have signed as part of his/her employment? Need to double check just to endure he/she won't be penalized for this even though he/she is a victim of workplace bullying

4. This, I would place the most importance, is he/she prepare to take on any consequence of his/her next action? Sometimes, fighting can take a toll on one's mental self if he/she is not strong mentally. All the media/attention etc...sometimes people criticize more than helping. He/she needs to have a strong ability to filter information.

5. Ask him/her what is the objective of publishing online? What he/she wants to achieve?

To get his/her boss fired etc., to get support from public? To voice anger?

Only when the objective is clear, the solution will be clear.

My personal take is to move on and focus on her next job hunting. Avoid getting into a situation of being labelled as a disgruntled employee especially since he/she has already decided to leave. If he/she wants to stay, the game would be played differently.

Regardless of his/her next step, I wish your friend all the best and hope he/she will find a new job and a new boss who will appreciate his/her work.

All the best!

Just sharing my 2 cents.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1