OCS question

Picanto

is it true that "average" or "poor" performance cadets officers will be posted to HQ S1,S2 once they graduated from OCS?

And those with good performance will be posted to units as platoon commanders?

↡ Advertisement

Not sure about the answer to yr qn, but 1 think is true is that most officers regret ending up as officers.

Men don't respect you, made to serve till 50 years old, your cockups are for the world to see and laughed at, and worst of all you cannot claim credit for anything because its the lower ranks that do all the thinking and work.

You're just the goondu that gets in the way.

I think I've captured the sentiments accurately.

is it true that "average" or "poor" performance cadets officers will be posted to HQ S1,S2 once they graduated from OCS?

newly commissioned officer can only be DYS1, DYS2, etc.

S1, S2, etc. is appointed for OC posting or officers who had completed CTC course.

for regulars, you need to complete your PC tour in both active and school/support units.

so, you have no choice.

for NSFs, usually the selection will be recommended by your Wing APC -> Wing PC -> Wing OC.

afterwhich, you will be posted to the units accordingly.

it is not so true that good performance will leads you as unit PC.

OCS PC will usually select those with good physical fitness as unit PC, while those who are good in planning will be selected as DYS3, etc.

ultimately, being an officer is all about pride. be proud to be one! [thumbsup]

of course not lar, that why tell you go other place to ask, dumd dumb. [rolleyes]

finally, at least ladykillerz can provide relevant info.

newly commissioned officer can only be DYS1, DYS2, etc.

S1, S2, etc. is appointed for OC posting or officers who had completed CTC course.

for regulars, you need to complete your PC tour in both active and school/support units.

so, you have no choice.

for NSFs, usually the selection will be recommended by your Wing APC -> Wing PC -> Wing OC.

afterwhich, you will be posted to the units accordingly.

it is not so true that good performance will leads you as unit PC.

OCS PC will usually select those with good physical fitness as unit PC, while those who are good in planning will be selected as DYS3, etc.

ultimately, being an officer is all about pride. be proud to be one! [thumbsup]

Add on. What i hear is NSF usually up to AS2. DY is not so common, maybe acting only.

Heck there is even a case where NSF become S2.

After ROD, things get messy. Regular side still proper progression.

I still remembered my NS days, my PC & the other PC are best buddies and they were top ten during their OCS training. Later they were posted to infantry units...

hi there,

i was a " condemn" OCS cadet back then cos the PC had to make someone a scape goat.

so after commissioning, i was posted to a reservist bde to be the AS1, ( some pple here might have met me during their reservist)

the AS1 in the next door unit was my platoon mate who was also " condemned" along with me.

For our vocation, we learnt a lot of things that were not really military related, more on people people skills as we were handling NSmen and most importantly, our " experienced" was kinda HR based. Rank didnt really matter as me as a 2LT and LTA later on always hung out with my pte and LCP clerks playin game, doing canteen break, play wrestling in the office.

My friend in the next door unit went on to uni to study bio science and later got a job in A star as HR personel.

later he was head hunted by a big shipping company to lead their HR department and now its his career. 1 yr after grad, he's now assistant manager for the HR side in that company. Though its 100% nothin to do with what he studied in uni, ultimately it was his army S1 experience that helped him out.

Thus i would say, being a staff officer isnt all that bad, depends on how you look at it.

as for officers not being respected and stuff, there are officers who do not deserve their rank. But it all boils down to the person himself.

my 2 cents

cheers

so those driving cat A cars are average or poor earner at work? compared to those driving Cat B?

When I was active I met this LTA in my unit's reserves dept. A regular S1 in a reservist unit. Like many of you I was thinking he was a condemned case.

But when I left army and came back for ICT he is our bn S3 from Capt to now a Maj rank. He was like the rest of us NSman. I think he left not long after I left our unit. It's surprising that he was given an S3 appointment as compared to his previous S1 reservist unit appointment. He's doing a great job being our S3.

Not really condemn or not condemn, not really officer or 3rd sgt, we are all NSF. Everyone is given a job to do, just do it....

There are different type of personalities, from officers (Infantry Leader I) to section commander (Infantry Leader II). thus, usually, try to deploy best to tap on their strengths...but sometimes due to manpower constraint, not so suitable for unit PC one, also no choice got to post them as unit PC, but try to assign them to support coy.

In the end, w the number of enlistees available, Mindef tries it best to allocate limited manpower, since only abt 30% of the NSFs become leaders (include both officers and 3rd sgts).

some officers and sgts, men c, [thumbsdown] but as long as their superiors see them as [thumbsup] , you [furious] , also no use....

that's life.

Not sure about the answer to yr qn, but 1 think is true is that most officers regret ending up as officers.

i rarely meet fellow osifers who regret ending up as osifers, so i donno where this comes from. of coz sure have, but its a rarity rather than 'most'.

non-osifers will always have something against osifers. just like non-grads always think grads are a bunch of CMI's. at my age, i've learnt this is a fact of life so just laugh it off rather than get offended or defensive. its really funny to think that ppl believe by some divine stroke of coincidence, onli CMI's ever get selected to go OCS or qualify for university.

When I was active I met this LTA in my unit's reserves dept. A regular S1 in a reservist unit. Like many of you I was thinking he was a condemned case.

But when I left army and came back for ICT he is our bn S3 from Capt to now a Maj rank. He was like the rest of us NSman. I think he left not long after I left our unit. It's surprising that he was given an S3 appointment as compared to his previous S1 reservist unit appointment. He's doing a great job being our S3.

thought all officers who pass out from OCS sure have some sort of talent that make them officers. got condemmed ones meh? afterall i always heard that it not easy to complete ocs

thought all officers who pass out from OCS sure have some sort of talent that make them officers. got condemmed ones meh? afterall i always heard that it not easy to complete ocs

nothing is perfect. just because you pass your class 3 doesn mean you wont be a screw-up on the road.

↡ Advertisement