Power usage for taiyo induction cooker

Coltplussport

Hi all,

Can anyone advise me on the power usage of the appliance listed above. It states 1800w, but will there be a different if I use it at the lowest heat rating.

Thank you in advance.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi all,

Can anyone advise me on the power usage of the appliance listed above. It states 1800w, but will there be a different if I use it at the lowest heat rating.

Thank you in advance.

rated power is usually the max. they always try to make themselves look good. heating or power devices like irons will market power rather than energy efficiency.

so if u use lower heat, u will consume less electricity [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

rated power is usually the max. they always try to make themselves look good. heating or power devices like irons will market power rather than energy efficiency.

so if u use lower heat, u will consume less electricity [thumbsup]

Oh thank you, i actually prepare soup by low power for 4 to 5 hours. Was worried that it might takes up too much power, and increase electricity bills.

All blame my primary school teacher for saying that power consumption is the same, it is just the resistance doing the trick.

Oh thank you, i actually prepare soup by low power for 4 to 5 hours. Was worried that it might takes up too much power, and increase electricity bills.

All blame my primary school teacher for saying that power consumption is the same, it is just the resistance doing the trick.

bro, sorry, borrow your thread.

Appreciate if you could provide feedback on induction cooker cos' I am considering whether to replace my gas cooker, thanks.

• Praise 12

Turbocharged

I think it consumes 1800W when the heater is in operation ; no matter what your temperature setting is . Difference is , it you set a high temp , the heater will cut in for a long time before cutting out when your temp is reached. If you set to a lower temp setting , the desired temp is reached sooner and the heater will cut out sooner. After the heater has cut out , and temp has fallen to a prescribed level , the heater will cut in again and the process repeats itself.

Its like if you wish to have average speed of 100 kmh ; u floor the throttle till you reach 110kmh , then release the throttle . When your speed drops to 90 kmh , you floor again until it reaches 110 again and you release . The period when you floor is when the 1800W is used.

To have some idea how much it costs , if say the heater is fully in operation for 1 hour :

1800W = 1.8 kW

1.8kW for 1 hour = 1.8 kWh

1KWh approx. 25 cents , so 1.8 kWh is approx. 45 cents.

If you boil soup for 4 hrs and the heater kicks in 50% of the time , it will cost

2 hrs x 45 cents = 90 cents .

• Praise 3

Appreciate if you could provide feedback on induction cooker cos' I am considering whether to replace my gas cooker, thanks.

Only certain pots and pans can be used with induction cooker.

If your present set is not then be prepared to buy some new ones

and some of them are not cheap.

:D

• Praise 3

if the pot/pan does not have any indicator if it is induction cooker friendly, bring along a magnet when shopping. if it sticks to the bottom of the pan, it can be used with your induction cooker.

• Praise 4

I will discourage using any induction cooker unless you are selling food and need to be fast. This will increase your energy bill.

• Praise 4

U need to run a 30amp power line out btw.

Most induction hobs can draw somewhere around 20+ amp at max draw.

Considered it for safety reasons for my children but decided against it at the end due to cost and lack of usage.

Tiagong from my MIL. She say some people will complain it heats up too rapidly so it's not suitable for slow cooking.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

Not sure about the built-in stove type induction cookers, but I use two portable ones for my cooking at home (bachelor living) and the timers run up to 2 hours max. Mine are rated at 2100w max but to be honest you'd only use that for boiling water/steamboat because it boils really quick. Regular cooking like frying etc it only runs at 500-800w, you adjust according to how much heat you need.

• Praise 4

If your home already has pipe gas,

gas is best.

But if you need to buy the tank then

electric is more convenient but

gas is cheaper.

• Praise 1

Thanks for the tip on the magnet. Yes, pots/pans with specific labels that it can be used w induction tend to be exp. We use 1 x portable 1 at home.

• Praise 9

I think it consumes 1800W when the heater is in operation ; no matter what your temperature setting is . Difference is , it you set a high temp , the heater will cut in for a long time before cutting out when your temp is reached. If you set to a lower temp setting , the desired temp is reached sooner and the heater will cut out sooner. After the heater has cut out , and temp has fallen to a prescribed level , the heater will cut in again and the process repeats itself.

Its like if you wish to have average speed of 100 kmh ; u floor the throttle till you reach 110kmh , then release the throttle . When your speed drops to 90 kmh , you floor again until it reaches 110 again and you release . The period when you floor is when the 1800W is used.

To have some idea how much it costs , if say the heater is fully in operation for 1 hour :

1800W = 1.8 kW

1.8kW for 1 hour = 1.8 kWh

1KWh approx. 25 cents , so 1.8 kWh is approx. 45 cents.

If you boil soup for 4 hrs and the heater kicks in 50% of the time , it will cost

2 hrs x 45 cents = 90 cents .

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive cost estimates. It helps [thumbsup]

Only certain pots and pans can be used with induction cooker.

If your present set is not then be prepared to buy some new ones

and some of them are not cheap.

yeah, I am aware of that...haiz, more moolah if I want to convert....

if the pot/pan does not have any indicator if it is induction cooker friendly, bring along a magnet when shopping. if it sticks to the bottom of the pan, it can be used with your induction cooker.

Gotta bollow magnet from my elder one then next time go shoppin LOL

Considered it for safety reasons for my children but decided against it at the end due to cost and lack of usage.

Tiagong from my MIL. She say some people will complain it heats up too rapidly so it's not suitable for slow cooking.

I understand Hdeebee power output is 15amps onli.

the sales fella told me that both induction points cannot be used at high temp at the same time.....can trip the power [sweatdrop]

Not sure about the built-in stove type induction cookers, but I use two portable ones for my cooking at home (bachelor living) and the timers run up to 2 hours max. Mine are rated at 2100w max but to be honest you'd only use that for boiling water/steamboat because it boils really quick. Regular cooking like frying etc it only runs at 500-800w, you adjust according to how much heat you need.

Works for us becos we seldom need to boil soup.

chop chop cooking, that's all [:)]

I will discourage using any induction cooker unless you are selling food and need to be fast. This will increase your energy bill.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Will discuss with OC before deciding.

Edited by Toothiewabbit
  • Praise 4

I understand Hdeebee power output is 15amps onli.

the sales fella told me that both induction points cannot be used at high temp at the same time.....can trip the power [sweatdrop]

Your Circuit breaker (upgraded HDB one) is rated at 40amps.

These induction hobs can theoretically draw up to 19-20+ amps typically. So it's not just changing the socket to a 15amp one. Though i know some pple just do that. So u actually need the one that's like used for the AC compressor.

I don't know too much about electrical stuff, but i always play safe with electricity.

I just have an induction portable one for hotpot that's all.

Your Circuit breaker (upgraded HDB one) is rated at 40amps.

These induction hobs can theoretically draw up to 19-20+ amps typically. So it's not just changing the socket to a 15amp one. Though i know some pple just do that. So u actually need the one that's like used for the AC compressor.

I don't know too much about electrical stuff, but i always play safe with electricity.

I just have an induction portable one for hotpot that's all.

Thanks for the heads up.

Will consider the socket change if we get to that.

• Praise 2

Sounds like good for steam boat..

I look at my utilities bill, I can see that most Singaporeans just want convenience.

My electricity is less than those at national level.

My water is less than those at national level.

My gas is MORE than national level. (after I replaced e-kettle to gas kettle).

Downside of gas is no OFF timer or auto-off switch. When you try to multi-task, you may end up with a kitchen with volcanic eruption. [laugh]

If your home already has pipe gas,

gas is best.

But if you need to buy the tank then

electric is more convenient but

gas is cheaper.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3