Exercising without a gym

Sofarsogood

Hello all,

My previous company has a gym for staff. In my present company, no such facility is available. Other than driving to SAFRA after work, I wonder if anyone here can recommend me a website or exercise routines that doesn't require a gym. My objective is to cut down flab around my abs. And I also keep my arms and legs muscles built up.

Thnks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

My objective is to cut down flab around my abs.

Thnks.

IMO, no other way to accomplish this except to faithfully carry out a cardio workout for at least 30min, i.e. running

• Praise 1

Hello all,

My previous company has a gym for staff. In my present company, no such facility is available. Other than driving to SAFRA after work, I wonder if anyone here can recommend me a website or exercise routines that doesn't require a gym. My objective is to cut down flab around my abs. And I also keep my arms and legs muscles built up.

Thnks.

cut fats = low fat diet and cardio... no other way

My objective is to cut down flab around my abs. And I also keep my arms and legs muscles built up.

Thnks.

Can try these :

Flab around abs --> sit up.

arm muscle --> push up.

leg muscle --> stand-squat, or climb staircase [2-3 steps slow climb].

Supercharged

no such thing as spot reduction.

must burn more than you take in by:

cutting down fat and carbo intake,

do cardio exercise,

build up muscle mass (helps burns calories).

cheap and convenient: rope skipping, climb stairs.

if want fun method: play squash.

Edited by Eyke

huh?

Dumbells, I have.

Pushup, Situps, I currently do.

So seems like I am well-equipped liao...

But gym does have it's advantages, right? I've used them before and it did produce results. Not sure if the above exercises will give the same outcome.

Supercharged

Why not join an SSC gym.

Plenty around.

Great value.

http://www.ssc.gov.sg/publish/Corporate/en...on_Centres.html

I've been using one daily or nearly daily for 10 years.

I do an hour of CV on a CT each visit.

Have now started some weights.

Can't get my weight down as much as I want but I wonder what my weight would be if I didn't exercise.

I like the assortment of age groups sexes etc who use the gym.

Quite friendly as well.

when u move into weights, try not to do it everyday. Do it high intensity, but limit it to twice a week.

I am a certified fitness instructor.

Supercharged

Thanks for that.

I'm now doing 5 times a week CV on the CT about 1000 cals each time, heart rate at 120

and twice to three times a week on weights at 20 minutes a session.

5 times 30 reps on each of 4 sometimes 5 diff exercises with no time between reps or exercises so it's quite intense but less hard for me than the CV.

I know I overeat but not by much, IMO [cool]

I know the cals used are a guide, not exact.

I use my heart rate as a guide to the work I do but the cals used helps motivate even if they are not exact.

What is your overall progress so far on the CV? Any loss of weight? How much?

For weights, choose 3-4 big exercise, use low reps (6-8) to failure and use 2-3 sets will do. For this, you need heavy weights.

I have struggled with weight most of my life. Yoyo dieted a few times, lost the weight, but piled it on more than ever after reaching my goals.

But finally, I have found a sustainable way to stay healthy and lean. I thought I'd share my story with you. The people who have tried my method have experienced weight loss and and better health. All of them.

I started to change my lifestyle because early last year, I got ill for 3 months and saw 5-6 doctors and none of them could heal me. I finally went for a blood test and found out that I have all sorts of health problems. From high blood pressure to high cholesterol to poor liver function...etc. My doctor told me if I don't lose weight and become healthy, I will probably face my death by the time I'm 50 years old.

I am a 173cm tall middle-aged male who has lost 23kg the last year and is having no trouble keeping it off unlike previous times. Before I started changing my lifestyle, I had 35% body fat and my waist was 40 inches. Today, I have 12% body fat and my waist is 29 inches with visible abdominal muscles. I wear size S shirts now compared with XL before, but can hardly button the top buttons and arms are tight due to the proportion of my body now ( a nice problem to have really). I can't buy pants from Gap cos even their size 28 pants are too big for me. My recent blood test revealed that I am at the best state of health I have ever been in.

Now, let's get into it.

1st concept is, 90% of your health and weight is determined by WHAT YOU EAT. Exercise helps to make you functional, but don't make the mistake of using exercise as the main tool to lose weight. Ever heard the saying "you cannot out exercise a bad diet"?

About the diet, I adopt a paleolithic way of eating. Basically, this sums it up: http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/

1) Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks) and all flour

2) Start eating proper fats - Use healthy animal fats to substitute fat calories for carb calories. Drink whole cream or half and half instead of milk.

3) Eliminate grains. No rice, no bread, no noodles, no pasta...

4) Eliminate grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils). Cook with butter, animal fats, or coconut oil.

5) Get daily midday sun or take 4-8000 iu vit D daily

6) Intermittent fasting and infrequent meals (2 meals a day is best)

7) Fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Stick with berries and avoid watermelon which is pure fructose. Eat in moderation.

8) Eliminate legumes

9) Adjust your 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef or bison avoids excess O-6 fatty acids and are better than supplementing with 0-3 supplements.

11) Eliminate milk if you are sensitive to it

About the exercise, I have increased the size of my shoulders and arms by quite a few inches with just body weight exercises. Never underestimate the effectiveness of body weight exercises. For me, I don't like going to the gym, so I make do with body weight exercises so that I can do it in the comfort of my own house. Saves me time and trouble.

The core of my workouts are basically pull-ups and push ups. You will be surprised at how much muscle you can pack on with just these 2 exercises. Don't just think plain old simple push ups and pull ups. There are many many variations that will challenge you, even when you're at a high level of physical fitness. Different variations target different muscle groups, so you can be sure you get a great physique.

Of course, for your legs, you can do squats and lunges. There are many variations to these too.

You can jog if you enjoy running, but don't do it for too long. Keep it under 30 minutes. Focus instead on anaerobic type exercises. Don't listen to people who say you can't burn fat with pull ups. Try doing 5 sets of 20 pull ups and 5 sets of 50 push ups and tell me that's easier than jogging for 1 hour.

Slow steady cardio (SSD), like jogging, won't make you look muscular either. So to me, I get 2 things done at the same time when I choose not to concentrate on SSD, namely build a good looking physique and improve my functionality. For example, if there is a fire and I need to climb up to my neighbour's window upstairs, I know I have the strength to pull myself up and help my family escape the danger.

I only jog when I feel my body needs more time to recover from my pull ups and push ups.

But remember, most of it is what you stuff into your mouth. So address that first.

Good luck!

• Praise 4

Bro, you sound very pro! [thumbsup]

I'm also following something similar but not as comprehensive. I'm also greatly reducing (not to the extend of eliminating yet) intake of sugars, grains and flour. And because of that, I have this same problem everyday during lunch time - don't know what to eat.

Can i ask, when u eat out, what do you eat?

• Praise 1

Hello all,

Thnks.

To achieve good/faster results, have to combine resistance training with cardio training. Resistance training the correct way will boost metabolic rate (its useful not only for toning the body) while cardio workout helps to burn off more calories during training. You can actually do resistance training at home..can use bedframe or bench to do tricep workout...push ups itself is also resistance training for chest and triceps..all this doesn't require gym equipments but of course it is still better to have gym facilities available for your workouts if possible as your body would be challenged to improve with various different types of equipment even if they are all for the same body parts. When your body is trained under the same type of exercise without variance for prolonged periods, it will just reach wat we called a "plateau" soon..

Another reason for combining resistance training with cardio training is that will body will go into "fat burning" phase faster after a hour of intense resistance training compared to just cardio training by itself which will take a much longer time to go into that "fat burning" phase..

Yes, dieting or exercise all alone by itself doesn't really work much...one needs to combine sensible diet + right execrcise routine to see good lasting results..

• Praise 1