Do you "donate" to beggers?

Kelpie

Hi all,

Over here, it is rather common for someone to come by your dining table and beg for money. The locals simply ignore them. Initially I feel sorry for them but my friends here told me it is a norm not to give.

Do you give them when approached by them when you eat out in JB? Why and why not?

Regards,

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

if the person is a handicap person...yes..if old man selling tissue...i will buy and take one packet..the rest return to him for resell.....

Erm..the norm here is not even for handicap person. Usually, they will come by quietly at your table and watch you eat. The diners at the table will pretend that he/she is transparent and wait for him to leave.

Regards,

Turbocharged

Hi all,

Over here, it is rather common for someone to come by your dining table and beg for money. The locals simply ignore them. Initially I feel sorry for them but my friends here told me it is a norm not to give.

Do you give them when approached by them when you eat out in JB? Why and why not?

Regards,

i will not, too many, how to give all? [rolleyes]

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

i have a soft spot for old people, i will give, even though its some syndicate, at least these old people will get to eat.

Able bodied people, never..

Buskers, depends on their performance..

• Praise 1

Want to give, just give. Don't want to give, just ignore. If not like stalinist state, remove all these people to siberia for shooting training.

• Praise 1

I only give to those blind & handicap.

If that I am being taken advantage of, I wouldn't give.

Happened a few time that they asked for $2 for 5 packets when the "market" was $1 for 3 packs.

Even $1.30 for 3 packs!

• Praise 1

sympathy is a proven closing technique.

come to your table looking glum and frail: pls help a kind soul.

for all you know, their annual income from selling tissue paper could add up to be more than most of us.

and best of all, they don't even have to declare or pay taxes.

cost of tissue : 16 for $2

selling price : 3 for $2

revenue : $0.54 per pack

margin : 533%

assuming they sell to 250 "customers" a day in 12-hr window

1 day :$500

1 month : $15,000

1 year : $180,000

less cost: $35,000

$145k annually before deduction to syndicate!

and that's not even including the "loose-change donations" and "buy 3 tissue return 2" from the real kind souls

Edited by Flykite
  • Praise 1

I believe most of those tissue seller don't get to earn that much...it is their bosses who will make more. From what I heard from a friend who supply tissue to such bosses. The boss will order and pay for the tissue and distribute them to the runners (the old, the disabled, etc) and collect the money from them. the amount of money these runners will make will depend on how many packet of tissue they sell and how they priced it.

• Praise 1

I only give to those blind & handicap.

If that I am being taken advantage of, I wouldn't give.

Happened a few time that they asked for $2 for 5 packets when the "market" was $1 for 3 packs.

Even $1.30 for 3 packs!

At least you take back some things. I'm actually referring to those who just come by your table and ask for monies. In JB, no beggers will give you tissue papers [laugh].

Regards,

no...I don't give to beggars or tissue sellers.

Beggars are scam and tissue sellers probably earn more than me already. Tissue sellers or maybe their boss (whatever..) are some of the biggest earners around.

• Praise 1

i give some spare change to buskers especially those who have physical disabilities but still come out and try to earn their dues. I think they are more deserving than those beggars.

• Praise 1

During Sat early morning abt 8+am at LTA carpark met this guy whom goes around asking for money for makan. He approached all the ppls but most of them didn't gv him

any money. So do me too. There was a guy tat he approached next to my car when he came back to pick up his car. The guy told him tat he had alrdy given him earlier on n he just said sorry to him n walked away...This type of ppl gt hands n legs but dun wanna to

find a job. :angry: [rifle]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1