Car Inspection

Ahrex

Hi guys, i have received a letter from LTA to go for car inspection before my road tax expires in April. May I know wat do they inspect and how much it will cost? i have juz gotton my car for a few mths and i did not go for any Vicom/STA/AA inspection when i bought it. Is this inspection the same as that? any ideas how much it would cost? my fren told me $60++ only.. anything i should do 1st? appreciate ur replies!! thanks in advance!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

That's right.

If stock original, just drive in to inspection centre.

No need for svc or pay specials for those pre-inspection svc.

• Praise 1

Bros, how old was your ride ?

LTA will send the Inspection Notice to you 2 months in advance before your Road Tax expiry & you'll be receiving the other 3 Test Centre's Notice of Inspection too.

As per LTA rules, all motor-cars (below 10 yrs from initial registration) , inspection is an mandatory requirement at 3 yrs, 5 yrs, 7 yrs * 9 yrs prior to renewal of Road Tax.

For above 10 yrs will be annually.

For goods vehicles were yearly inspection basis cum black smoke checking too. (Above 10 yrs will be bi-yearly basis)

If 1st Inspection (Can do it at "Vicom" @ Sin Ming Rd or Changi North St 1, "STA" @ Sin Ming Rd or Jln Boon Lay, "JIS" @ Ang Mo Kio St 65 or Pioneer Rd) costs ws S$ 56 + 7% GST = S$ 62.05 and no free retest if failed. (Retest @ nominal fees)

Tests incude:-

- check engine nos & chassis nos

- check for an illegal mods such as non standard no plates, exhaust pipe, mod of engine, illegal installation of HID lights, under-carraige LED lights, engine bay LED lights, Day Runnig Lights (DRL), in cabin LED lights, illeal mod of DVD players etc

- check lightings (all lights include hazard lights, headlights, side marker lights, rear no plate lights, brake lights & 3rd brake lights & reverse lights.

- exhaust CO content

- side slip test

- under-carriage ball joints & drive shaft wear & tear checks

- hand-brake & front & rear wheels brake tests.

Upon you passed of Inspection, you'll receive the Inspeciton Test Certifcate at the end of Test Station & can then process to their Rooad Tax & Insurance Cashier Counter for renewal of your next 6 months Road Tax along with your valid Insurance Test Certicate & this Inspection Certificate.

If you want to pay for one full year Road Tax in order to save the hassle, you can also extend your Motor Insurance with their Insurance Officer inline with your new Road Tax expiry date. (Payment of Road tax can be ararnge via "Diners Card" with interest free of 3 to max of 6 months instalment & if you're with "Chartis" Insurance, can pay up to 12 months interest free instalment)

Edited by Jefkking

thanks for the info bro.. my ride is coming to 7 years liao.. my cabin lid is led one.. need to change ar? n i need to renew road tax after inspection? can i do it on a later date id passed? my insurance bought in oct(when i bought my car) n i think its for 1 year leh.. liddat how ar? any difference?

Anyway if fail inspection just go rectify can already. No additional inspection costs.

Bro, why no additional cost? If need to reinspect then must pay $30++!

Yes, you can renew your road tax before your current road tax expiry date due BUT you must have your Insurance extended in-line with the validity of the new 6 months road tax epxiry date as your current Insurane wll not have suffficient coverage for new road tax renewal (Min of 6 months renewal for road tax is required)

Edited by Jefkking

thanks all bros for ur answers.. how long does it take for vicom to inspect if i go in early morning?

thanks all bros for ur answers.. how long does it take for vicom to inspect if i go in early morning?

if not many people queuing ....just abt 30 min and you can finish everything leow.

Anyway if fail inspection just go rectify can already. No additional inspection costs.

Last time 2nd inspection is free . Now need to pay $29 + GST liao , gian lui liao !

I heard inspection centers in ulu places have shorter queue. Eg one in jurong/tuas, one in AMK near Motorola, one in Yishun. Not sure if they still operate nowadays?

↡ Advertisement