Car price is what % of your annual household income?

Steptronic

What % your car is?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Pre "SK" series

• Less than 25% cars
    • 25%
    • 50%
    • 75%
    • 100%
    • 125%
    • More than 125%
  2. 2. SK Series cars

• Less than 25%
    • 25%
    • 50%
    • 75%
    • 100%
    • 125%
    • More than 125%

One of our members suggested that one should not buy a car worth more than 50% of annual household income. Most of us widely accepted it as a thumb rule for sound financial stability.

To start with, my present car is much more than 50% of our household income.. ohmy.gif . Those do not want to tell the %, just join the poll as it is confidential!

You may do one SK and one pre-SK series cars.

Just to give an example, if my car is 100k, and household income is 200k. then the percentage is 50%

Edited by Ragingbull
↡ Advertisement

One of our members suggested that one should not buy a car worth more than 50% of annual household income. Most of us widely accepted it as a thumb rule for sound financial stability.

To start with, my present car is much more than 50% of our household income.. :o . Those do not want to tell the %, just join the poll as it is confidential!

One should not buy a house more than 50% of household income, let alone a depreciating car.

10% is my call. Max!

One should not buy a house more than 50% of household income, let alone a depreciating car.

10% is my call. Max!

Let me guess. Chery QQ OPC for you? Heh...

Wow this is tough bro!!

To not buy a house of more than 50% houshold income is near impossible!!

4 rm HDB flat already more than S$300k, so how many households having S$600k ie $50k monthly income!!

• Praise 4

10% is my call. Max!

bro, 10%??? can't even pay for the COE leh??? no need to think already...

To start with, my present car is much more than 50% of our household income.. :o . Those do not want to tell the %, just join the poll as it is confidential!

Just to give an example, if my car is 100k, and household income is 200k. then the percentage is 50%

That's a reasonable and realistic representation. If the loan is taken to at least 7 or even max 10 years, the repayment per year is much lower than your annual household income. For 10 years at maybe 2.5% interest, you have a debt of $125k. Servicing this loan per month is $1042 per month. If annual household income is $200k, then you have $16,667 per month. Using 6.25% of that to pay the loan is easy.

• Praise 1

Let me guess. Chery QQ OPC for you? Heh...

No I drive more than that. Not that I earn alot but mine is second hand and its pre SK Jap make. So cheaper then are lower than at present. And there are many such options out there in the 2nd hand market.

If I buy a house, it doesnt depreciates much even if it does depreciates, so its worth the 50% household income because its an investment.

I think Singapore average household income is about 10K per month. Even at a car price now of about SGD150k per car, monthly instalment over 10 years assuming zero downpayment should be only about SGD1300 per month, thats only 13% of income.

No offence but those who pay 50% of income for their rides in the singapore COE system either has money dropping down or no committment - kids.

Even at 13% income on car, thats a lost of 140K over 10 years when COE expires. You know can buy what with 140K? definitely not a car.

Eng40765, I think you get it wrong.

It's not installments as % of household income.

It's price of the actual car as % of annual income. E.g. To buy a VW Jetta $120K, u need to earn $20K/mth or $240K/yr.

BTW what is SK!?

Edited by Detach8

BTW I think this poll is not accurate. Some people may not earn a lot monthly but have a cash excess that they don't intend to invest or do anything with it, hence they buy an expensive car. One simple example is strike toto.

To me is it weighing your debt risks. If you buy something that has higher value that the amount you loan, you are safe. For a car this is easy because the govt will certainly return you your "paper value" which is essentially tax rebate unlike property although being an asset has a floating market value.

So if you are capable of downpaying to an extent you only need to loan on the paper value of your ride and the resulting monthly payment doesn't kill you, then I think that's fair enough.

It's price of the actual car as % of annual income. E.g. To buy a VW Jetta $120K, u need to earn $20K/mth or $240K/yr.

BTW what is SK!?

Sorry - I got it all wrong, ignore my postings!

BTW what is SK!?

SK refers to number plate, pre SK = low COE.......

Neutral Newbie

Based on your signature of 523i and brand new 523i is $216k, TS is base on 50%, TS is earning $430k annually.

No I drive more than that. Not that I earn alot but mine is second hand and its pre SK Jap make. So cheaper then are lower than at present. And there are many such options out there in the 2nd hand market.

If I buy a house, it doesnt depreciates much even if it does depreciates, so its worth the 50% household income because its an investment.

I think Singapore average household income is about 10K per month. Even at a car price now of about SGD150k per car, monthly instalment over 10 years assuming zero downpayment should be only about SGD1300 per month, thats only 13% of income.

No offence but those who pay 50% of income for their rides in the singapore COE system either has money dropping down or no committment - kids.

Even at 13% income on car, thats a lost of 140K over 10 years when COE expires. You know can buy what with 140K? definitely not a car.

The most important thing to me is car.

The rest r not important.

I can eat hawker every meal, skip annual tour, live in hdb instead of condo. Use all e cheapest stuff in e household.

I cannot live without performance car.

If i earn 100k per yr, i buy a 120k car but i only get a loan of 30k, 90k downpayment, like that consider ok?

It is just to consider Car vs income. So, in this case, 120%!

↡ Advertisement