Fancy A Visit Inside a Russkie Typhoon-Class SSBN?

Vulcann

In awe by this Soviet-era behemoth then probably due to both the book and film The Hunt For Red October but now if you invite me FOC from flight to lodging for a visit I would definitely say thanks but no thanks and give it a miss.

Really impressed with these brave visitors but not sure if they brought with them a Geiger Counter each... [rolleyes] Note the rusting interior and really [shakehead] how on earth a once formidable ballistic sub could end up in such a sorry state...

In any case the days of these underwater giants are probably over and now the Russkies must be racking their brains how to "de-nuclearise" the reactors of these SSBNs.

From STOMP:

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sg..._submarine.html

Posted on 10 Apr 2012

Step into the world's biggest nuclear submarine

step_into_the_worlds_biggest_submarine-thumbnail.jpg

The Typhoon class submarine is the largest submarine in the world, measuring 170 metres long and 23 metres wide.

STOMPer Zoolander, who has shared these photos with us, said:

"Submarines have always fascinated me, not just by their sheer size, but by the fact that these massive vessels can stay underwater for months.

"The Typhoon class submarine can carry 20 ballistic nuclear missiles. Only six of these vessels were built.

Get on board one of them by clicking on the pictures in the gallery below.

↡ Advertisement

From STOMP:

The Typhoon class submarine is the largest submarine in the world, measuring 170 metres long and 23 metres wide.

STOMPer Zoolander, who has shared these photos with us, said:

"Submarines have always fascinated me, not just by their sheer size, but by the fact that these massive vessels can stay underwater for months.

"The Typhoon class submarine can carry 20 ballistic nuclear missiles. Only six of these vessels were built.

Get on board one of them by clicking on the pictures in the gallery below.[/color]

Stay under water for months, without women.. The TV series OZ comes to mind.. No thanks.

Thanks but no thanks [dead]

...and check-out their errr..."retro" onboard controls:

46jpg1334034244452-data.jpg

vs their ultra-modern counterpart in the US Navy, the Ohio-class SSGNs (ex-SSBNs):

200802270008_01.jpg

[shocked] [shocked]

Those retro guages works well, in the past.

So it will work well now too.

Just like 1969 techonologu can go to space and moon landing.

But very hard for modern technology to revisit moon, lets see if China can reach the moon or not in few years time.

I think we are in a regression phase in technology knowhow and functionality.

The modern display only update the old and makes it looks nicer.

I tot the nukes has been removed from the subs already. I remember watching a documentry of how they did it. The steam turbine propulsion plant has the highest radioactive readings.

http://www.international.gc.ca/gpp-ppm/dis...ent.aspx?view=d

Nuke warheads yes but the reactor & associated coolant system still radioactive.

Many other nuclear subs are also left rusting away...

Couldn't but feel sorry for the skeletal crew left behind to man them, the base personnel & the residents nearby... [sweatdrop]

Its amazing how much firepower these cold war relics once possessed.

20 ICBMs which can hold up to 10 MIRVs nuclear warheads each, which means a total of 200 MIRVs! :ph34r:

More than enough to flatten the whole South-East Asia many times over...

Its amazing how much firepower these cold war relics once possessed.

20 ICBMs which can hold up to 10 MIRVs nuclear warheads each, which means a total of 200 MIRVs! :ph34r:

More than enough to flatten the whole South-East Asia many times over...

Ya the combined warheads from both superpowers then could destroy our planet a few hundred times over....

Scary thought [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

Nuke warheads yes but the reactor & associated coolant system still radioactive.

Many other nuclear subs are also left rusting away...

Couldn't but feel sorry for the skeletal crew left behind to man them, the base personnel & the residents nearby... [sweatdrop]

I read n saw the documentry show them removing the reactor also. Then showed them cleaning the steam turbine n measuring the radioactive levels.

http://www.dw-world.com/dw/article/0,,3036461,00.html

The world is afraid of some terrorist go n steal it so many countries willing to help the russians clean the nuclear wastes.

I read n saw the documentry show them removing the reactor also. Then showed them cleaning the steam turbine n measuring the radioactive levels.

http://www.dw-world.com/dw/article/0,,3036461,00.html

The world is afraid of some terrorist go n steal it so many countries willing to help the russians clean the nuclear wastes.

OIC. So the Germans were helping the Russians to clear their mess more than a decade back? Quite dangerous I would say... [sweatdrop]

Could not remember where I read some time back on the rusting nuke boats but I googled and found the below online article dated August 05th, 2011 from Urban Ghosts & a photograph from that same article:

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2011/08/fo...kola-peninsula/

abandoned-submarine.jpg

[shocked] [shocked]

Maybe it was this article or something similar that gave me the impression that they literally left their once-deadly killing machines to rot...Just hope these boats left dying on the Kola Peninsula were diesel-powered ones...