TNP SUVival Challenge

Adrianli

Yeah, over the weekend, entered into this TNP SUVival Challenge. I was not that interested but my bro need a co-driver, navigator and clue solver, so helped him out. this was our first time entering n no hopes of winning anything and we did not.

Basically, there were 10 clues/task given out and four are compulsory. These four will lead you to the GPS coordinates of the Adventure and Offroad challenges. Adventure challenge was easy, it was like a mini SOC.

The real interesting part was the Offroad challenge that bro was looking forward for. His SUV has not tasted mud before. There were several task to be completed in this offroad challenge, picture speaks louder than words so view the video taken by my Blackvue DR400G-HD car camera. The time taken for this challenge is extremely long, ard 1.5hours, so I have trimmed it accordingly. Do pardon the in-car comments between my bro n me. :D

BTW, there was a Fast Forward envelope given in case u give up and want to go straight to the final destination. I shone my powerful 10W LED torchlight under the envelope, and saw the GPS coordinates. [laugh] So we knew our final destination and planned the route accordingly. :D

Enjoy the offroad challenge video :

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Lastly, really kudos to the organiser, SUVEC, the officials were really frenly, helpful and fun!!! U guys done a great job and to stand under the hot sun whole day cooked like a lobster. [thumbsup]

P.S No part of these videos to be used for commercial purpose. Share it if u like it.

Edited by Adrianli
↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

Thanks for the videos bro! It reminds me of my army days while training in Area D off Lim Chu Kang where the M113s, Fiat 3-tonners and Land Rover Defenders roamed around in thick mud.

The Defender that rescued you in the 2nd video was awesome! Its truly a superb off-road vehicle.

So where in Malaysia was your SUVival held last weekend? Does TNP have such events every year and what are the cost to join in?

Neutral Newbie

Bro,

Awesome vids. Mine taken at the last checkpoint in a plantation. We drove to the wrong direction and there were 2 boulders smacked in the middle of a small track. The direction sign was changed. I suspect the one responsible was a group of young local boys. Halfway entering the plantation, i saw them scurrying out of the plantation on a bike. There was an xc90 in front of me suffer the same fate. I was the 7th car to enter the plantation. In my mind i was saying God bless the rest.

Here's the link to the video. Dunno wny i can't embed it here.

TNP

Edited by Baddata

Supercharged

Awesome vids. Mine taken at the last checkpoint in a plantation. We drove to the wrong direction and there were 2 boulders smacked in the middle of a small track. The direction sign was changed. I suspect the one responsible was a group of young local boys. Halfway entering the plantation, i saw them scurrying out of the plantation on a bike. There was an xc90 in front of me suffer the same fate. I was the 7th car to enter the plantation. In my mind i was saying God bless the rest.

So it was the directional sign changed that had caused you to drove to the wrong direction?

Probably if gather 2-3 guys can just moved the boulder out of the track....

Thanks for the videos bro! It reminds me of my army days while training in Area D off Lim Chu Kang where the M113s, Fiat 3-tonners and Land Rover Defenders roamed around in thick mud.

The Defender that rescued you in the 2nd video was awesome! Its truly a superb off-road vehicle.

So where in Malaysia was your SUVival held last weekend? Does TNP have such events every year and what are the cost to join in?

It was held in Pulai Springs Resort. The various checkpoints were located all ard johor. This event is held yearly by TNP + SUVEC since 2006. This year participation fee was S$155 per person.

Bro,

Here's the link to the video. Dunno wny i can't embed it here.

TNP

Wow, never encountered the two big boulders. There were three other suv infront of us in the final checkpoint so we just follow them all the way to Pulai Springs Resort.

Yeah, over the weekend, entered into this TNP SUVival Challenge. I was not that interested but my bro need a co-driver, navigator and clue solver, so helped him out. this was our first time entering n no hopes of winning anything and we did not.

Basically, there were 10 clues/task given out and four are compulsory. These four will lead you to the GPS coordinates of the Adventure and Offroad challenges. Adventure challenge was easy, it was like a mini SOC.

The real interesting part was the Offroad challenge that bro was looking forward for. His SUV has not tasted mud before. There were several task to be completed in this offroad challenge, picture speaks louder than words so view the video taken by my Blackvue DR400G-HD car camera. The time taken for this challenge is extremely long, ard 1.5hours, so I have trimmed it accordingly. Do pardon the in-car comments between my bro n me. :D

BTW, there was a Fast Forward envelope given in case u give up and want to go straight to the final destination. I shone my powerful 10W LED torchlight under the envelope, and saw the GPS coordinates. [laugh] So we knew our final destination and planned the route accordingly. :D

Enjoy the offroad challenge video :

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Lastly, really kudos to the organiser, SUVEC, the officials were really frenly, helpful and fun!!! U guys done a great job and to stand under the hot sun whole day cooked like a lobster. [thumbsup]

P.S No part of these videos to be used for commercial purpose. Share it if u like it.

Well done. Many thanks for sharing such video with us. Am I to understand all of you were driving 4 X 4 SUV (there are many 4 X2 SUV around town). I believe many participants got bogged down in Part 2, due to their SUV having got low ground clearance. The route is good for beginneers (more like rural roads only) except the muddy section. Oop! the water fording looks like a challenge. Perhaps you would want to try the RainForest next?

Edited by Good-Carbuyer

Well done. Many thanks for sharing such video with us. Am I to understand all of you were driving 4 X 4 SUV (there are many 4 X2 SUV around town). I believe many participants got bogged down in Part 2, due to their SUV having got low ground clearance. The route is good for beginneers (more like rural roads only) except the muddy section. Oop! the water fording looks like a challenge. Perhaps you would want to try the RainForest next?

From what I saw during the starting to challenges to resort carpark, there is a good mix of AWD, 4WD and 2WD SUV. No worry of getting stuck in the mud. The guys from SUVEC and Revo workshop is there to help u out.

Rainforest??? They are now pretty protected, maybe. The final checkpoint was navigating thru a plantation road, so maybe thatz pretty close liao. :D

From what I saw during the starting to challenges to resort carpark, there is a good mix of AWD, 4WD and 2WD SUV. No worry of getting stuck in the mud. The guys from SUVEC and Revo workshop is there to help u out.

Rainforest??? They are now pretty protected, maybe. The final checkpoint was navigating thru a plantation road, so maybe thatz pretty close liao. :D

I believe the main reason for getting stuck in mud was those SUV having lower ground clearance than Defender. Is there a limit to the passengers in each car?

Supercharged

Surprisingly they do allow the 2WD SUV to participate. Is it much tougher for a 2WD to go thru think mud and high slopes? Do you see mostly 2WD SUV get stuck more then 4WD SUV?

I believe the main reason for getting stuck in mud was those SUV having lower ground clearance than Defender. Is there a limit to the passengers in each car?

No limit to passengers in the car. Just follow car spec on number of passenger n remember to belt up + wind up the windows during the offroad challenge. As one SUVEC official told us, unless u like mud spa. [laugh] Ground clearance is abt the same. More of driver ability than 2WD or 4WD.

Surprisingly they do allow the 2WD SUV to participate. Is it much tougher for a 2WD to go thru think mud and high slopes? Do you see mostly 2WD SUV get stuck more then 4WD SUV?

There is a separate slope for 2WD n 4WD. Saw more 2WD stuck. But my bro's SUV is also 4WD, also stuck. [laugh] Its the driver not the car. :D Its his 1st time offroad.

Turbocharged

There is a separate slope for 2WD n 4WD. Saw more 2WD stuck. But my bro's SUV is also 4WD, also stuck. [laugh] Its the driver not the car. :D Its his 1st time offroad.

so was he suppose to drive on the track which has already sunken so much or slightly off the track to get more traction?

No limit to passengers in the car. Just follow car spec on number of passenger n remember to belt up + wind up the windows during the offroad challenge. As one SUVEC official told us, unless u like mud spa. [laugh] Ground clearance is abt the same. More of driver ability than 2WD or 4WD.

Many thanks for your advice. I believe the Defender got better ground clearance than some other SUV stuck in the mud. [laugh] The 4WD should drive better than 2WD where there is muddy/sandy ground to cover.

so was he suppose to drive on the track which has already sunken so much or slightly off the track to get more traction?

There is no supposed track to follow, just have to drive up the slope to complete part of the challenge. U can choose ur own lines. But he chose the track where other SUV has driven thru. His SUV should have made it if he had chosen the correct gear to drive. He put it on full auto. [laugh]

Many thanks for your advice. I believe the Defender got better ground clearance than some other SUV stuck in the mud. [laugh] The 4WD should drive better than 2WD where there is muddy/sandy ground to cover.

U should see the ground clearances of other full size SUV like Prado, RAV4, Harrier, Fortuner, XC90, Touareg, etc.......

U also need the correct tyres to conquer the mud. As SUVEC says, most SG SUV are not equip with MT tyres which is illegal in SG. With MT tyres, can go bashing anywhere u like.

http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/?categoryid=3

Supercharged

U also need the correct tyres to conquer the mud. As SUVEC says, most SG SUV are not equip with MT tyres which is illegal in SG. With MT tyres, can go bashing anywhere u like.

These MT tyres - aren't these the ones used by SAF Land Rovers? If they are so good at mud, then that explains why it hardly got suck during army excerises in Area D!

U should see the ground clearances of other full size SUV like Prado, RAV4, Harrier, Fortuner, XC90, Touareg, etc.......

http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/?categoryid=3

I believe some of you would standby such tire to enjoy the occassions

↡ Advertisement