Scrapping 10 year old car.

Turbonetics

Hi,i would like to know what are the procedure if i want to scrap my 10 years old car when the COE expires.
I have a few questions as follow:

1). Do i just drive in to any scrapyard or car dealer to do it?
2). Who should i get back my PARF value from?LTA or Scrapyards?
3). Who should i approach for my car body value quote?Dealers or scrapyards?

Thank you.

↡ Advertisement

I believe you just go to a scrap yard and they will be able to help you with all the paper work...

errr.....just like to know if we should sent it to the scrapyard on the day the COE expires or do the paper work in advance and then sent to scrapyard when the time comes?

this is what i got from a friend who want to scrap his mitsubishi car

1. go to scrap yard, basically scarp yard will give you taxi money to go home after getting your car

2. some dealers will swallow you for example, dealer buy your car for $500 BUT some either charge $1000+ for paper work meaning you got to fork out the difference or some will want certain percentage of your par value in his case was 20% in order to scrap or do necessary paper work

3. his final solution is that since his car is only 10 years, he export it getting a dealer to buy for $300. then he go to LTA office to deregister his car and cash out his par value. only when his car is confirm being export (meaning the dealer do a necessary paper work to export his car) will only then lta release is balance par value in cheque

in the end he got his minimum par value of $9000+ plus extra $300 from the dealer

if he were to take option 1, he will get his par value + taxi money

if he were to take option 2 he will lose few hundreds to dealer for admin fees but get his full par value or he will lose 20% of his par value for admin fees if he goes to another dealer

I bought a used-car, trade in my old car (to scrap, six month before). The dealer do everything for me.

I got back

a) scrap value

b) $500 for body

c) remaining Road Tax from LTA

d) balance insurance from insurance company

Wondering if you intend to buy another car to replace your 10 year old car, do we still need to scrap the car ourselves or just hand the car to the dealer and they settle everything?

Also if we do it ourselves, can we go to any scrapyard or some scrapyard offer better price? [:/]

this is what i got from a friend who want to scrap his mitsubishi car

1. go to scrap yard, basically scarp yard will give you taxi money to go home after getting your car

2. some dealers will swallow you for example, dealer buy your car for $500 BUT some either charge $1000+ for paper work meaning you got to fork out the difference or some will want certain percentage of your par value in his case was 20% in order to scrap or do necessary paper work

3. his final solution is that since his car is only 10 years, he export it getting a dealer to buy for $300. then he go to LTA office to deregister his car and cash out his par value. only when his car is confirm being export (meaning the dealer do a necessary paper work to export his car) will only then lta release is balance par value in cheque

in the end he got his minimum par value of $9000+ plus extra $300 from the dealer

if he were to take option 1, he will get his par value + taxi money

if he were to take option 2 he will lose few hundreds to dealer for admin fees but get his full par value or he will lose 20% of his par value for admin fees if he goes to another dealer

if go to scrapyard,will they pay the PARF or still has to go through LTA?

what do scrapyard do with the car after that?Export or remove its parts and sell it?

My own experience:

get lta transfer pin

go scrapyard, haggle haggle on body value, depending on the yard they might want to take a cut of $$$, but not that much, like $100-$300 ish.

make sure they do the paperwork and dereg the car!!!

LTA will mail u cheque.

But if u know what to do, i hear you can dereg yourself.

does scrapyard operators accept car towed to them
Depends on the yard and how buddy buddy you are with the yard boss.

I was quoted body value 4k by dealer exclude Parf return sometime this week for a 8 yrs old JDM Accord OMV 39k

Edited by Dfx16

I bought a used-car, trade in my old car (to scrap, six month before). The dealer do everything for me.

I got back

a) scrap value

b) $500 for body

c) remaining Road Tax from LTA

d) balance insurance from insurance company

grrr.... my car need to scrap next year( 2013)

If not buying a used or new car, will the dealer still take my car and setlle for me the parf value.

grrr.... my car need to scrap next year( 2013)

If not buying a used or new car, will the dealer still take my car and setlle for me the parf value.

might as well u go to scrapyard and do it instead of dealer taking another cut.

↡ Advertisement