The British welfare system in shambles

Donut

Supercharged

I believe our garment is very careful in not going the way UK or EU welfare is in its current state. Our garment doesn't want to do charity and let us think they owe us the welfare.

The welfare system was supposed to help the poor and needy. But it has become a "entitlement" system to everyone. For this, i have to agree with what our garment is doing. Can't be giving everything free to everyone. But they have to be more flexible in our CPF $$ and medical costs.

British PM says welfare system has 'lost its way'

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/...e-s/629704.html

LONDON: Prime Minister David Cameron said Sunday that Britain's welfare system had "lost its way" and become a "lifestyle choice", amid a raging debate on government cutbacks to state handouts.

Cameron's Conservative-Liberal coalition government, trying to rein in the national budget deficit, is bringing in a series of changes to the system this month -- in the face of bitter opposition from the Labour Party.

The debate has been fuelled by the case of Mick Philpott, a nationally notorious welfare-dependent father of 18, who was jailed last week for the manslaughter of six children in setting fire to his own house.

Conservative finance minister George Osborne was blasted by Labour in unusually fierce terms when, asked whether Philpott was a product of the welfare system, he suggested there needed to be a debate about whether taxpayers should be subsidising lifestyles like his.

Opposition Labour finance spokesman Ed Balls said for Osborne "to link this wider debate to this shocking crime is nasty and divisive and demeans his office".

Writing in The Sun newspaper, Cameron launched a staunch defence of the welfare shake-up, which includes capping the amount a household can claim at national average earnings.

He suggested it was "crazy" that welfare claimants could have a bigger income than workers.

The Conservative leader suggested that a system originally designed to protect the frail and be a "stopgap" was now backfiring.

"It was invented to help people escape poverty, but has trapped too many people in it. It was meant to be a stopgap in hard times, but has become a lifestyle choice for some. It was designed to bring us together, but is causing resentment," he said.

"No-one wants to work hard every day and see their hard-earned taxes being used to fund things they themselves cannot afford or keep generations dependent on welfare.

"So this month we are making some big changes. They are changes that have a simple principle at their heart: we are restoring the fairness that should lie at the very heart of our tax and welfare systems.

"We are saying to each and every hard-working person in our country: we are on your side."

The debate has set not only politicians at each other's throats but also newspapers and commentators of opposing political stripes.

Meanwhile a YouGov opinion poll for The Sun found that six out of 10 voters thought welfare handouts were too generous.

Some 67 per cent said the system needed an overhaul while 79 per cent back the government's move to limit a family's welfare payments to

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

i think people support our current system

we dont have much money, cannot anyhow run a a welfare state

no the other hand, wasting money on punch beyond our own weight projects is a big no no

vivaian.jpg

Supercharged

no the other hand, wasting money on punch beyond our own weight projects is a big no no

This one is an embaressment

Supersonic

Pssssstt pssssttt.....i got lobang on how to win the naming contest for the new T4.

I predict that the winning name will be "Changi Airport Terminal 4". [scholar]

I think there has to be some sort of a balance. Obviously we cannot put everyone on welfare, but at the same time we cannot say 'we leave you to die alone' either.

Where we can help, we should help, but on the conditions that those helped are put on the path of self-sufficiency.

I think there has to be some sort of a balance. Obviously we cannot put everyone on welfare, but at the same time we cannot say 'we leave you to die alone' either.

Where we can help, we should help, but on the conditions that those helped are put on the path of self-sufficiency.

Agreed, perhaps something more along the lines of the welfare models in Nordic countries. Of course fear-mongers will keep pointing to the welfare systems in the US, UK and perhaps even Australia examples of the perils of welfare. Because you know, those are the only countries with a welfare system....in the world.

Turbocharged

Pssssstt pssssttt.....i got lobang on how to win the naming contest for the new T4.

T4 can we name it terminator Salvation???

Turbocharged

i beg to differ

singapore is filthy rich...

do you know in the sixties and seventies, how much farmlands were acquired by the government for the sake of progress?

many farmers lost their lands and were resettled (mind you, they still had to fork out money to pay for an unit in the public housings built on some of the lands)

other parcels of "prime" lands were left vacated, sometimes for decades, only to be sold to private developers for huge amount of money

I'm not supporting the welfare system, but does the current government still remember the sacrifices made by the farmers last time?

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Clown .

Government dont like welfare state for citizens , they perfectly welcome welfare state for themselves .

Our GOVT only stop their pension after recent election after many citizens woke-up and tell them to stop their looting. All ex ministers will continue to get pension until they die.

GOVT DONT LIKE WELFARE STATE ?? Si Bay kind and caring ! ...... hahaha

Edited by Bhtan

Supersonic

T4 can we name it terminator Salvation???

cannot. the first rule of any gahmen naming contest is that it has to sound exactly like how they spelt it in the 1st place. -_-

Twincharged

sometime no choice one.. singaporean very lame. dont have better idea than Marina Bay mah [laugh][laugh]

on another hand.. that minister is MR Mah... !@#!$#@#$@!

another feather to Mah's cap! excellent job!

Twincharged

Too long.. better to call it CAT4

I hope i can win the $400k naming prize :wub:

Twincharged

So what has the youth olympic games achieved for us? KNN...

nothing much. But then again, the $300m was also small change. Not vivian's own money so heart no pain mah.

Twincharged

i beg to differ

singapore is filthy rich...

do you know in the sixties and seventies, how much farmlands were acquired by the government for the sake of progress?

many farmers lost their lands and were resettled (mind you, they still had to fork out money to pay for an unit in the public housings built on some of the lands)

other parcels of "prime" lands were left vacated, sometimes for decades, only to be sold to private developers for huge amount of money

I'm not supporting the welfare system, but does the current government still remember the sacrifices made by the farmers last time?

the govt has said that if they were to pay mkt price for these land, they will be bankrupted!

I'm sure the govt is very grateful to these farmers (silently, in their own hearts)

↡ Advertisement