Avante Steering Wheel Problem

Popper

Avante Owners Out There,

Recently encountered knocking sound at steering wheel when turning left and right or when cross over hump.

Any encountered this problem and how to get ie rectified?

Cheers

↡ Advertisement

It's some bushing that has worn out. Lots more info on Club Hyundai but the site has been inaccessible for weeks. Read there that it's much cheaper to repair in Johore. Or try the workshop at the Esso station in Lavender Rd.

Avante Owners Out There,

Recently encountered knocking sound at steering wheel when turning left and right or when cross over hump.

Cheers

Could be steering rack loose or tie rod bushings worn out.

is it when you doing full turn (either L or R), you will hear tok tok tok sound until u turn back to straight line then the sound stop?

OR

Is it when you even STATIONERY (no moving), u continuously tilt slightly L & R with your steering wheel & hear tak tak tak sound? And even sometimes when u drives, you can also hear tak tak sound even with little movement of the steering wheel? BUT STRANGELY THERE IS NO SOUND WHEN U DOING FULL TURN L OR R...

I encounter both:

If its is first one, then drive shaft is spoilt..wear n tear. change drive shaft will do. once u got tok tok tok sound...even changing the drive shaft CV joint cover also no use as damage is done. not expensive, ard 150 per pc to change, depending where u go.

If its is 2nd one, then the rubber coupling inside our electronic steering motor has worn out (also due to wear n tear)... this is very troublesome. it cost 500+ which I pay to Synergy AH Kang to settle the problem. 6 hours work to replace the bloody small coupling due to dismantling the WHOLE steering rack to reach the steering motor.

and after that, u need to settle the alignment & balancing. I pay another 50 to Kenny Alignment to align my front adjustable camber bolt...

hope this helps.

does the dashboard needs to be taken out?

is it when you doing full turn (either L or R), you will hear tok tok tok sound until u turn back to straight line then the sound stop?

OR

Is it when you even STATIONERY (no moving), u continuously tilt slightly L & R with your steering wheel & hear tak tak tak sound? And even sometimes when u drives, you can also hear tak tak sound even with little movement of the steering wheel? BUT STRANGELY THERE IS NO SOUND WHEN U DOING FULL TURN L OR R...

I encounter both:

If its is first one, then drive shaft is spoilt..wear n tear. change drive shaft will do. once u got tok tok tok sound...even changing the drive shaft CV joint cover also no use as damage is done. not expensive, ard 150 per pc to change, depending where u go.

If its is 2nd one, then the rubber coupling inside our electronic steering motor has worn out (also due to wear n tear)... this is very troublesome. it cost 500+ which I pay to Synergy AH Kang to settle the problem. 6 hours work to replace the bloody small coupling due to dismantling the WHOLE steering rack to reach the steering motor.

and after that, u need to settle the alignment & balancing. I pay another 50 to Kenny Alignment to align my front adjustable camber bolt...

hope this helps.

Hi Picanto,

It doesn't look like it should require the removal of the dashboard. All that work should be done on mechanical components directly affecting steering. That means, all the bits in between the two front wheels.

Hope that puts your mind at ease.

Its common problem for avante. I encounter this on my previous avante. Got it fix at autosavers kaki bukit for 300+ I heard a lot of ppl paid 1k for it at AD.

Dear bro, I am encounter tis problem, and went to Hyundai dealer as saying that the electronic motor problem then need to change whole thing because that is whole set, cost ringgit Malaysia 7k plus, I would like seek who had good workshop to recommend as I need to double check the problem.thanks

Avante Owners Out There,

Cheers

I had the similar problem.. as what i understand, the batch of Avante from 2006 - 2010 have this problem.

I got it rectified at Harmony Motor @ AMK Autopoint.. They replaced the steering shaft coupling.. damage $300. Did wheel alignment at Stamford Tyres for $50.

Dear bro, I am encounter tis problem, and went to Hyundai dealer as saying that the electronic motor problem then need to change whole thing because that is whole set, cost ringgit Malaysia 7k plus, I would like seek who had good workshop to recommend as I need to double check the problem.thanks

Hi, I just got my steering wheel fix yesterday at Autosaver Kaki Bukit. Cost me $250 plus. At first was told at other workshop that the motor spoil and required to change whole motor at $3.8k. I do a research online and found Autosaver can change part of the motor component which is a small gear that created this problem. Now my car is back to normal. You can try.

Thanx all for the useful info.

I got it fixed yesterday. Same as what most of us encountered, it's the black little coupling bushing inside the electric motor that is worn out. Mine is like powder form when being replaced. Got mine fixed at $300+ but it took ard 3-4 hrs to get it done due to dismantling of the whole steering rack.

my SIL has just got it replaced 2 mths back at komoco, not 1k. much much cheaper (less than $300). got 1 workshop in sin ming try to ketok her by quoting 3k. go to komoco n get a quote b4 committing. no harm in doing it

go back komoco fix it, its 300+ but at least its from dealer, got warranty if anything happens. treat it as a peace of mind then having problem next time.For servicing i would still recommend go outside do lol.

Neutral Newbie

Guys

Can help with this strange Steering problem on a Toyota?

During a slight bend on the road, I turn right slightly, but when I try to turn the wheel back, it feels like the wheel has been locked in a groove and can't turn back (left) unless I use more strength. For eg, i want to turn left 5 degrees but the moment i turn 1 degree, i get stuck and I need to use more strength to overcome the 'jam' and as a result i have to turn 10 degrees left.

I know this isn't the best explanation but I don't know how else to describe it.
Any bros who has experienced this please help!

some additional info:

1) Toyota Electric Powered Steering
2) This is more apparent when travelling at slightly higher speeds of 50km/h and above

3) the steering feels light but normal when the speed is <20km/h

4) this happens randomly, maybe 30% of all lane-change/bends

Thanks!