Manchester United Thread 2013/2014 Season

Getzsfv

Manchester-United-Champions-League-Wallp

Though this season it has not been the greatest start for us, I beleive we will be able to bounce and fight back till the very end. GGMU

Fletcher relief at comeback

Darren Fletcher has revealed the full extent of the illness that kept him out of contention for United for so long.

Over the last two years the 29-year-old was beset by ulcerative colitis, a chronic bowel condition, and following surgery the midfielder spent a lengthy period recuperating before returning to training.

Having gradually returned to fitness, including some outings for United’s Under-21 side, the midfielder made his first appearance for the senior side since Boxing Day 2012 as a substitute in the 3-0 win over Aston Villa on Sunday.

Fletcher’s every touch during his 20-minute cameo was cheered by United’s travelling contingent of supporters at Villa Park, but afterwards the Scot reflected on just how close he came to never stepping out onto the pitch again.

“If the operation was not a success there was no way I would be able to play football,” he said.

“My everyday life would be very difficult if it wasn't a success. It was two or three operations not just one, so it was psychologically challenging dealing with surgery as well. But I couldn't live my life at all. I needed something to be done.

“There was a day in about May when we said 'this is it'. Once I came out of that operation it was going to be, 'this has either worked or it hasn't'. It was a very emotional day.

"There was a lot of fear and anxiety and a lot of build-up. But I was in the hands of an unbelievable surgeon, and I put all my trust in him. He was confident, as long as I did everything right. He was confident all the tests were right. When that moment came, it was such a relief.”

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

Manchester United are confident that star striker Wayne Rooney is ready to open negotiations over a new bumper contract.

Amid rumours that the club is ready to cull a number of first-team players in the coming January window, Rooney is being targeted as one player whom United do not want to see leave Old Trafford. According to the Daily Mail, the England international is set to be offered a four-year deal worth a whopping 50 million pounds.

Manchester United are ready to join the race for promising Brazilian youngster Mosquito. The 17-year-old shot to stardom during this year’s Under-17 World Cup and has shown up on the radar of some of England and Europe’s top clubs, including Juventus, Real Madrid and Chelsea. And now, according to the Mirror, that list can count the Red Devils, with the reigning Premier League champions looking to bolster their attacking options. The race to sign the Atletico Paranaense player could heat up next January with any deal not to be finalised until Mosquito turns 18 next month.

Manchester United are confident that star striker Wayne Rooney is ready to open negotiations over a new bumper contract.

Amid rumours that the club is ready to cull a number of first-team players in the coming January window, Rooney is being targeted as one player whom United do not want to see leave Old Trafford. According to the Daily Mail, the England international is set to be offered a four-year deal worth a whopping 50 million pounds.

Manchester United are ready to join the race for promising Brazilian youngster Mosquito. The 17-year-old shot to stardom during this year’s Under-17 World Cup and has shown up on the radar of some of England and Europe’s top clubs, including Juventus, Real Madrid and Chelsea. And now, according to the Mirror, that list can count the Red Devils, with the reigning Premier League champions looking to bolster their attacking options. The race to sign the Atletico Paranaense player could heat up next January with any deal not to be finalised until Mosquito turns 18 next month.

Haha at first i thought u typed wrongly or what, why the hell got player called Mosquito, then i went to google and wtf, really got such a player linked to Man Utd. Looks promising as well.

Hope moyes brings in some big names in Jan. if cant get big names, at least some exciting players with potential. the squad does need some changing, some deadwood needs to be cleared.

• Dislike 1

Haha at first i thought u typed wrongly or what, why the hell got player called Mosquito, then i went to google and wtf, really got such a player linked to Man Utd. Looks promising as well.

Hope moyes brings in some big names in Jan. if cant get big names, at least some exciting players with potential. the squad does need some changing, some deadwood needs to be cleared.

Man Utd will be very busy this January, we seriously need to sign few players especially to cover Carrick. Moyes also offloading couple of players.

Should get rid of Fellaini.

Doubt so bro, fellaini is like Moyes pet, die die also he will keep, and no one wants to buy him [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

Moyes need to play Kagawa more, from his BD days, he is very skillfull and creative. Not sure why Moyes is hesistant to field him.

I've not seen how Mosquito plays but the squad generally plays better with speedy and tough players.

I don't hope to win anything this season, I just hope Moyes starts to get his tactics and selection right, and from there we can start picking up results.

The Jones-Evans partnership looks promising, reminds me of the Pallister-Bruce then Johnsen-Stam and recently Rio-Vidic partnership. Very typical MU centerbacks. We do need to look for replacement in the Evra position, defensively he isn't as great as he has been the past few seasons. I really hope for names like Herrera, Canales, Isco, Illaramendi, Koke, Camacho to come over to the club.

But I agree, Kagawa needs to play more to gel with the team then the verdict can be out on him.

• Dislike 1

Kagawa can't get into the side because he is playing the No.10 role. Who occupy that role at Man Utd?

I think there is no official player who can stake claim to that No.10 role.

Rooney excels in that role, but his free roaming style, extreme willingness to track back to defend and his instinct to lead the line doesn't place him as a natural No.10.

A better example of a No.10 I think is Mesut Ozil, Canales, Zidane, Totti (this is up for debate).

Which is why ever since the ageing process of Scholesy started, I've always hoped that he would mentor Rooney into his role and I had sincere belief that Rooney could be a natural replacement who could be better than Scholesy (Rooney has better tackling).

Januzaj is still inexperienced and needs more games to gain that game experience but we can all see that he is a big match player.

I noticed there isn't plenty of MU fans here in this forum... [laugh]

I think there is no official player who can stake claim to that No.10 role.

Rooney excels in that role, but his free roaming style, extreme willingness to track back to defend and his instinct to lead the line doesn't place him as a natural No.10.

A better example of a No.10 I think is Mesut Ozil, Canales, Zidane, Totti (this is up for debate).

Which is why ever since the ageing process of Scholesy started, I've always hoped that he would mentor Rooney into his role and I had sincere belief that Rooney could be a natural replacement who could be better than Scholesy (Rooney has better tackling).

Januzaj is still inexperienced and needs more games to gain that game experience but we can all see that he is a big match player.

I noticed there isn't plenty of MU fans here in this forum... [laugh]

Valid points.

However, by having Rooney there and supporting another striker upfront, means that there is no room for a natural No.10 like Kagawa to flourish.

can try 4-3-1-2? Just that we don't have the right personnel.. Kevin strootman (failure to sign) OR Paul Pogba are definitely better than cleverly. Really lack a keano style in my opinion

can try 4-3-1-2? Just that we don't have the right personnel.. Kevin strootman (failure to sign) OR Paul Pogba are definitely better than cleverly. Really lack a keano style in my opinion

Moyes inherited the entire team and just added Fellaini.

Best is to stick to what works under SAF for now.

Valid points.

However, by having Rooney there and supporting another striker upfront, means that there is no room for a natural No.10 like Kagawa to flourish.

That's one way to look at it.

If we study the play of Scholes as he drew deeper into the midfield (those, those glorious wonderful pinpoint long passes!) almost emulating Pirlo, you will realise that there is often a gap between the central midfield and the attacking 2.

If we look at Scholes' earlier play styles, the gap is filled later during the attacking play by the wingers cutting in (early Giggs, Kanchelskis, Sharpey, Ronaldo, Blomqvist, Valencia the handful successful few), by one of the attackers dropping behind to open up space for the No.9 or by Scholesy arriving late to the edge of the box or top of the box (thus his early trademark boomers).

And if we look at the play now, there is no single player who is able to link up the play and provide the telling final pass or lead the attack or even arrive late to add dimension to the final play. Rooney is close but it seems that Scholes' mentoring stopped short at the final lesson.

Evidently, over the course of the past few games, we have come to appreciate Rooney's vision and pinpoint accuracy in providing the defense splitting long passes whereas Kagawa is clearly a short pass, quick movement off and on the ball player.

There is space to be found then if Rooney and Kagawa plays together often to make their mark and mark their space in the field.

I am a personal fan of the 4-3-1-2 or the 4-1-3-2 OR the 4-3-3 game, but Man Utd's natural game is to attack quickly and lethally from the wings, on the break. The difference is that with Keano in the side or even Incey, the play was contained in the opponent's half or at least higher up in the middle.

Win the ball back quickly, wingers make the run, release the ball and you either cut in or go for the early cross to panic the defence or deep far cross to stretch the defence.

Right now from the time Fergie decided to rely on one natural goalscorer, the side has been playing deeper in their own half. Which is why, it only seems right to Fergie to constantly boost up the defence on defenders who can stop play (Stam, Vidic), run the ball out to the wings or to the midfield (Rio, Blanc, Evans), with the 2 full backs in tow to aid the attacking wingers.

In the end, the central midfield became secondary to the side's gameplay.

• Praise 1

There are alot... Just to darn disappointed to say anything.. thats all [bigcry]

Dun worry bro, we are currently going through a transition dats all, regardless if we top of the table or bottom of the table, its MANU all the way. Lets see this January transfer window wther Moyes will beef up our squad strength

Dun worry bro, we are currently going through a transition dats all, regardless if we top of the table or bottom of the table, its MANU all the way. Lets see this January transfer window wther Moyes will beef up our squad strength

I can understand a decline... with the same squad.. older players and etc. albiet, this is much worse than a decline....

But the crux here is that when i watch the game.. i no longer think that during the last 15mins.. that we are going all out.. trying to equalize and win/win the game.. Its not the results that disappoint me... its the loss of fire and desire in the players that disappoints me greatly.

Suprisingly, i have no complains against the defence... its the midfielders really. This is the first time i feel the importance of a certain Mr Carrick... kaka

That said... Still going to give moyes till end of the season before start any real criticism.

• Praise 1

I can understand a decline... with the same squad.. older players and etc. albiet, this is much worse than a decline....

But the crux here is that when i watch the game.. i no longer think that during the last 15mins.. that we are going all out.. trying to equalize and win/win the game.. Its not the results that disappoint me... its the loss of fire and desire in the players that disappoints me greatly.

Suprisingly, i have no complains against the defence... its the midfielders really. This is the first time i feel the importance of a certain Mr Carrick... kaka

That said... Still going to give moyes till end of the season before start any real criticism.

Generally, the fault lies in the whole team and in the departures of key staff like Rene Meulensteen.

The team is seemingly playing a different tactic and shape compared to what they were used to. The mentality is also different as pointed out by you. Resulting in many jumbled and harried plays because everyone is so used to doing something.

I think the problem could be that while Moyes is trying to keep things tactically similar to Fergie, he is also injecting his own ideas into the gameplan, so to the players they seemed to be playing in the same positions as when Fergie was around, but the instructions and style of play is different.

I'd say if Moyes go for broke and played a totally different formation and daringly went for an all out attacking style, the losses wouldn't have hurt as much.

Like in FM, they just need a consistent play style and formation to begin understanding Moyes' ideas.