Affordable Japanese Restaurants

Carmour

http://www.ladyironchef.com/2014/01/singapore-affordable-sushi-restaurants/#more-33854

Dining out in Singapore does not have to leave a hole in your wallet. There are several sushi joints in town which serve good Japanese food at very reasonable prices. Here is a guide to affordable sushi restaurants in Singapore.

Fukuichi-Japanese-Dining.jpg

Fukuichi Japanese Dining

Fukuichi Japanese Dining is one of my to-go places for good Japanese food. It is located in a quiet corner of 111 Somerset Road, making it a great place for gatherings with friends. If you are on a budget, go for their set lunches, which are mostly priced from S$16 to S$20.

111 Somerset Road
TripleOne Somerset
Tel: +65 6271 5586
Daily: 11.30am – 3pm, 5.30pm – 12am
Nearest Station: Somerset

Itacho-Sushi.jpg

Itacho Sushi

Salmon skin sushi for S$0.40 – everyone will know Itacho Sushi because of this. And more than that, they are a favourite because of the wide variety of sushi creations at very friendly prices. When dining at Itacho, treat yourself to a selection of makis, rolls and nigiris made with fresh ingredients. They have very value-for-money lunch sets, too.

#03-03/31 Changi Airport Terminal 3
65 Airport Boulevard
Tel: +65 6241 8911
Sun to Thu: 11am – 10pm
Fri & Sat 11am – 11pm
Nearest Station: Changi

Shiok-Maki.jpg

Koh Grill & Sushi Bar

Koh Grill & Sushi Bar is a small eatery nestled a corner of Wisma’s Food Republic which serves delicious and inexpensive Japanese food. The star dish here is the legendary Shiok Maki. It is made up of avocado, unagi and aburi salmon, drenched with the most amazing cheesy sauce that is seemingly a legit mixture of mayo and mentai, and completed with a generous topping of tobiko. This is surely one place for a quick fix of Japanese food in between shopping at Orchard Road.

435 Orchard Road
#04-21 Wisma Atria Shopping Centre
Tel: +65 9180 3805
Daily: 11.30am – 10.30pm
Nearest Station: Orchard

Ryoshi-Sushi-Ikeikemaru.jpg

Ryoshi Sushi Ikeikemaru

Ryoshi Sushi Ikeikemaru may be a conveyer belt sushi restaurant, but don’t let that fool you into thinking that they are a medicore joint. They have surprisingly fresh sushi at pocket-friendly prices – definitely worth a try when you are craving for Japanese food.

177 River Valley Road
Basement 1 Liang Court
Tel: +65 6337 1022
Daily: 11am – 9.30pm
Nearest Station: Clarke Quay

Sushi-Tei.jpg

Sushi Tei

One of the most popular casual Japanese restaurants in Singapore, Sushi Tei is where locals head to for cheap and good Japanese food. There are many popular dishes, but we love the absolutely stunning Sashimi Salad, which comes with a generous serving of sashimi; and the Golden Roll.

252 North Bridge Road
#03-13/14 Raffles City
Tel: +65 6334 7887
Daily: 11.30am – 10pm
Nearest Station: City Hall

The-Sushi-Bar.jpg

The Sushi Bar

The Sushi Bar at level three of Far East Plaza serves the standard dishes like sushi, sahimi, Japanese-style pastas and donburis, but if you only have room for one dish, you must try the much-lauded Salmon Aburi Sushi (S$14.50). It is really good, and the main reason why this hole-in-the-wall sushi bar is always packed with regulars.

#03-89 Far East Plaza
14 Scotts Road
Mon to Sat: 12.30pm – 9pm

Tomi-Sushi-Restaurant.jpg

Tomi Sushi

Tomi Sushi may not be the cheapest restaurant in this guide, but it offers a variety of set lunches which are great value for money. Let’s make this clear: Tomi Sushi is not one of those classy Japanese restaurants where you bring your partner on a date night; it is more like a neighbourhood joint where you know that the food is always good, and you are surrounded by families happily tucking in.

#02-76/77 Velocity
238 Thomson Road
Tel: +65 6255 2355
Daily: 11.30am – 10.30pm
Nearest Station: Novena

Wasabi-Tei.jpg

Wasabi Tei

Wasabi Tei used to command long queues during its heydays, but since its former Chef Peter left, business has slowed down significantly. While the food is not out-of-this-world good, there is no denying that it is very affordable – most of the bento sets are priced between S$6 to S$12.

If you need a fuss-free meal when in Orchard Road, this is a place where you can have decent Japanese food without breaking the bank. And best of all, you no longer have to queue up to get a table here.

#05-70, Far East Plaza, 14 Scotts Road
Tel: +65 6238 8216
Mon to Fri: 12pm – 3pm, 5.30pm – 9.30pm
Sat: 12pm – 9.30pm

Edited by Carmour
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I eaten at Tomi sushi and Koh sushi before.

I can vouch that they are good.

Koh sushi is damn blardy packed. The queue can attest to how good it is.

Tomi sushi (Novena) on the other hand is empty even during peak hours. I wonder why, cos its pretty good for the price.

darn...I don't find these restaurants affordable.

I can only afford MOS burger if you consider that Japanese restaurant [sweatdrop]

Someone should change the title la......

Edited by Icedbs

I wonder, Is it given FREE meals thats why got recommendation?

Some of those blogger damn cheapo type..

he's the chao ah gua that was in the news cuz he refused to pay for meal. lol

http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/you-eat-you-pay-even-if-youre-a-famous-food-blogger-62115874.htm

all i want is a good old fashion katsudon, curry rice, pig bone soup ramian and cold noodles

can't find really good tonkotsu ramen in sg. at least none that compares favorably to what we get in japan. closest is probbaly the one at orchid hotel.

curry rice. i like beo crescent hainan curry rice. can qie any jap curry rice and tonkotsu anytime.

Edited by Little_prince

(edited)

WTF!

Banned these restaurant this CMI guy recommend!

Wah liew... This guy offend u. Not the restaurants ar!! Edited by Carmour

I thought affordable means at hawker or at least food court price.. I guess I'm certainly a peasant in this sense.

But the Shiok Maki looks delicious.

he's the chao ah gua that was in the news cuz he refused to pay for meal. lol

http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/you-eat-you-pay-even-if-youre-a-famous-food-blogger-62115874.htm

can't find really good tonkotsu ramen in sg. at least none that compares favorably to what we get in japan. closest is probbaly the one at orchid hotel.

curry rice. i like beo crescent hainan curry rice. can qie any jap curry rice and tonkotsu anytime.

He did write a reply to that though.

Its here.

http://www.ladyironchef.com/2010/08/truth/

Wah liew... This guy offend u. Not the restaurants ar!!

Yeah, some more his blog got soooo many restaurants listed.

nice list. unfortunately nowadays, i only travel to an area (do shopping/grocery etc) and look for the restaurants in that area.

not such a foodie to go look for restaurants to eat at.

The word "affordable" has been so misused in the SG context as to be utterly meaningless. Everything that the government does which impact the people has been labelled, from a dollars and cents perspective, as "affordable". The trouble with that is whether something is "affordable" is always looked at in isolation. Public housing kept "affordable", health care kept "affordable", transport cost kept "affordable". But add together?

Just like the Americans like to say that everything is "amazing" and they are "excited" and that something is the best/worst "ever". Their vocab is pathetic, use it enough and anyone will dumb down.

darn...I don't find these restaurants affordable.

I can only afford MOS burger if you consider that Japanese restaurant [sweatdrop]

Someone should change the title la......

• Praise 1

The word "affordable" has been so misused in the SG context as to be utterly meaningless. Everything that the government does which impact the people has been labelled, from a dollars and cents perspective, as "affordable". The trouble with that is whether something is "affordable" is always looked at in isolation. Public housing kept "affordable", health care kept "affordable", transport cost kept "affordable". But add together?

Just like the Americans like to say that everything is "amazing" and they are "excited" and that something is the best/worst "ever". Their vocab is pathetic, use it enough and anyone will dumb down.

Everything is affordable as long as you break it down. It all started with insurance agents who break your premiums down to per day basis. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

I break it down even further for you....

It's only 1 cent per second niah and you have peace of mind. You mean you cannot afford to give your loved ones by just spending 1 cent per second? It's a matter you cannot afford not to...........The insidious insults from these people.

Edited by Kangadrool

Everything is affordable as long as you break it down. It all started with insurance agents who break your premiums down to per day basis. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

I break it down even further for you....

It's only 1 cent per second niah and you have peace of mind. You mean you cannot afford to give your loved ones by just spending 1 cent per second? It's a matter you cannot afford not to...........The insidious insults from these people.

LTA even break it down to 4 to 6 cents increase per trip.

imo, affordability depends on individual's pockets. those with deep ones $100 per pax also called affordable.

but with regards to this "tie niang zi" recommendations, trust is at 10% max. hardly see him bitch about any restaurants he goes to, other than e one that made it to scandal news. [rolleyes] went dining with friends who took references from him, my conclusion is his meals are heavily sponsored or mostly invited.

• Praise 1

but with regards to this "tie niang zi" recommendations, trust is at 10% max. hardly see him bitch about any restaurants he goes to, other than e one that made it to scandal news. [rolleyes] went dining with friends who took references from him, my conclusion is his meals are heavily sponsored or mostly invited.

agreed with your observations..personally I wouldn't trust anyone who dines mostly at cafés

i can only say those mentioned are reasonably affordable, but in terms of good.....they are no where near my definition of good.

wasabi tei - would be one of the best catch here. its definitely affordable. and the food are pretty okay. not sure if the teochew chief still running the show or not.

as for fukuichi...and itacho, not so affordable and definitely food are so so only......I would not even say its good.

the rest...I cannot remember if I had tried them, maybe yes, but definitely never left much of an impression to me.

Just ate at Itacho yesterday. Their sushi is indeed good, just don't order anything else. Other food so-so nia ....

agree. all those famous I tried like Ippudo, Marutama etc ..... totally no fight for Japan real stuff. Orchid Hotel one haven't try yet. Told my wife next time I want to go to Hakata, Kyushu - birthplace of Tonkotsu Ramen

↡ Advertisement