Gutter Oil coming into Singapore liao...NEA sleeping?

Berncsp76

yucks...saw many news on this matter on FB and other media liao. [shakehead][shakehead]

think we have to cook and eat at home liao... [sweatdrop]

1888439_494495730662430_1631048617_n.jpg

1186034_494496847328985_1760439822_n.png

What could this huge ass thing be? According to speculators online, it could be used for "Gutter oil". According to Tony Keng Hong Tan, who took the photo, policemen are guarding this mobile setup as of 1025am today.

What is Gutter oil? : Gutter oil (simplified Chinese: 地沟油; traditional Chinese: 地溝油; pinyin: Dìgōu yóu) is a term used in China to describe illicit cooking oil which has been recycled from waste oil collected from sources such as restaurant fryers, sewer drains, grease traps and slaughterhouse waste. Reprocessing is often very rudimentary; techniques include filtration, boiling, refining and the removal of adulterants. It is then packaged and resold as a cheaper alternative to normal cooking oil. Another version of gutter oil uses discarded animal parts, animal fat and skins, internal organs, and expired or otherwise low-quality meat which is then cooked in large vats in order to extract the oil. Used kitchen oil can be purchased for between 859 and 937 dollars per ton while the cleaned and refined product can sell for 1,560 per ton. Thus there is great economic incentive to produce and sell gutter oil. It is estimated that up to one in every ten lower market restaurant meals consumed in China is prepared with gutter oil. This high prevalence is due to what Feng Ping of the China Meat Research Center has made clear: "The illegal oil shows no difference in appearance and indicators after refining and purification because the law breakers are skillful at coping with the established standards." - From Wikipedia

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

We locals should learn and accept the culture brought in by our FT friends. Perhaps someone could share the dishes prepared by our FT friends using gutteroil to the people who welcome them here. LOL

• Praise 1

Supercharged

what is so surprising? we are oso drinking "NEWater" leh... if no indicator to differentiate then nobody knows how long it has been around.

It could have well be everywhere since most stalls are now manned by PRCs...

I also have my reservations...but then see those guys from the pic drawing the oil i also :wacko:

lets wait for more insider news also.... :mellow:

Sure or not?

Don't anyhow speculate leh.

Supercharged

I also have my reservations...but then see those guys from the pic drawing the oil i also :wacko:

lets wait for more insider news also.... :mellow:

provided NEA takes the feedback seriously and investigate. Singapore is much smaller than China so definitely easy to apprehend the culprits.

Turbocharged

NEA already issued out statement at STOMP asking people for more information.

Example : Vehicle no.

Recently, someone posted the lorry number. Dont know NEA got take action or not.

• Praise 1

(edited)

I recall there's a biochemical company in sg that buys the used cooking oil from food outlets and using technology to convert it into bio fuel even for cars. Think one of them is this: http://alphabiofuels.sg/index.asp

But at least they buy directly from food stall owners and stored in containers...these PRC guys just draw from the disposal waste area (usually from behind coffee shops or near hawker centres)... [shakehead]

Edited by Berncsp76

don't pray pray, drawing out from the drain is an offence 'cos it's gahment property.

I recall there's a biochemical company in sg that buys the used cooking oil from food outlets and using technology to convert it into bio fuel even for cars. Think one of them is this: http://alphabiofuels.sg/index.asp

But at least they buy directly from food stall owners and stored in containers...these PRC guys just draw from the disposal waste area (usually from behind coffee shops or near hawker centres)... [shakehead]

Supercharged

don't pray pray, drawing out from the drain is an offence 'cos it's gahment property.

Ya Oil and Gas are their main income. They catch and learn, then legalized gutter oil just like NEWater... hahaaa [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 2

They catch and learn, then legalized gutter oil just like NEWater... hahaaa [lipsrsealed]

exactly..if sai zhui can be drank..gutter oil can also be used [grin]

Turbocharged

Did SPF bring them back and lock them up or simply jot down info then let them go? Don't forget they have kpi to meet which is lower crime rate year after year...

provided NEA takes the feedback seriously and investigate. Singapore is much smaller than China so definitely easy to apprehend the culprits.

NEA only react fast if someone complain opposite wards hawker centre ceiling is not clean.
  • Praise 5

NEA only react fast if someone complain opposite wards hawker centre ceiling is not clean.

The sheer stupidity of such actions compared to apprehending the alleged gutter oil syndicate people. Some one needs to be [smash] until [dizzy]

Twincharged

i was wondering what tony tan was doing

now i know he is busy catching people using gutter oil

good job!

Let's not jump into conclusion so soon. Wait for press release after investigation. This unverified articles has been spreading like wide fires and some even take it a gospel truth.

I cannot speak for this case cos I am obviously not that to witness. But I have come across people drawing gutter oil (free) to be sold to bio-diesel company instead of buying used cooking oil from hawkers or F&Bs.

• Praise 3

Supercharged

Let's not jump into conclusion so soon. Wait for press release after investigation. This unverified articles has been spreading like wide fires and some even take it a gospel truth.

I cannot speak for this case cos I am obviously not that to witness. But I have come across people drawing gutter oil (free) to be sold to bio-diesel company instead of buying used cooking oil from hawkers or F&Bs.

Whether to sell or use, either way is still illegal.

↡ Advertisement