Is it worth it to weld cracked rims?

Aerosmith

in your opinion, is it worth it?

i was following another car and he suddenly swerve to avoid a huge rock, of course, i cannot react similarly because i was quite close behind. i went over the rock and my rear rim suffered dents and crack. the crack release air that caused my Tyre to be half punctured. the valve also seem to be spoilt because i not cannot pump air at the petrol station.

the rim is original chrome advan racing rs 18" x 8" PCD 5x100 with 45 offset.

tough luck to find a single rim to replace. i tried altc and another workshop they don't have single ones. replacing all 4 rims seems too expensive especially when i am selling my car soon.

attached below are some pictures of the cracks.

IMAG1080.jpgIMAG1079.jpgIMAG1083.jpgIMAG1085.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Dude pls get new rims.. Welding is a big no no.. Structural integrity gone liao.. Just go to kaki bukit. CJ got enkei ori @ 250/rim the last time I went there.

Edit: didnt realise you're using advan 18s.. Should be 550/rim I guess.. Can try whether they sell single pcs..

Edited by Hussaini20

use spare tyre, but have to drive slow...

no spare tyre...

Dude pls get new rims.. Welding is a big no no.. Structural integrity gone liao.. Just go to kaki bukit. CJ got enkei ori @ 250/rim the last time I went there.

Edit: didnt realise you're using advan 18s.. Should be 550/rim I guess.. Can try whether they sell single pcs..

yeah, i don't want to endanger my family and the next buyer either. but is it seriously a no no to repair cracked rims?

is there justifiable incident reports of welded rims collapsing?

Welding is ok but one thing to take note is that welding will tend to pull (to one direction). it's important to check your rim is concentric after welding is done. Actually it's better you check now (before welding) whether the rim is out of shape. Best way is to put it on a lathe machine.

Advan 18" cost abt $800 each.

in your opinion, is it worth it?

i was following another car and he suddenly swerve to avoid a huge rock, of course, i cannot react similarly because i was quite close behind. i went over the rock and my rear rim suffered dents and crack. the crack release air that caused my Tyre to be half punctured. the valve also seem to be spoilt because i not cannot pump air at the petrol station.

the rim is original chrome advan racing rs 18" x 8" PCD 5x100 with 45 offset.

tough luck to find a single rim to replace. i tried altc and another workshop they don't have single ones. replacing all 4 rims seems too expensive especially when i am selling my car soon.

attached below are some pictures of the cracks.

IMAG1080.jpgIMAG1079.jpgIMAG1083.jpgIMAG1085.jpg

If its dented, can still repair. Not advisable to fix a cracked rim as the structure of the rim is already damaged.

I'm on Advan RG2. Exactly the same PCD, size and offset as yours. Try Leong Seng. I think they have it.

Edited by Aaronlkl
  • Praise 2

what material is your rims?

aluminium? stainless steel?

not every material can be welded. and each weld has different things to look out for.

in additional to general welding issues like microcracks and heat affected zones, u need to take note of material characteristics e.g for high carbon ss. although welding is simple. but it may lead to chromium depletion due to formation of chromium carbide. this will cause rusting.

for welding aluminium. usually it will be more difficult than steel due to the lower melting point and the fact that it doesnt change colour before it goes molten. in additional u probably need to use tig welding. which I doubt most car workshop have.

• Praise 1

no spare tyre...

yeah, i don't want to endanger my family and the next buyer either. but is it seriously a no no to repair cracked rims?

is there justifiable incident reports of welded rims collapsing?

Gotta say no but bro watwheels have pretty much summed it up.. Pulling towards one direction is confirmed, rim shape wont be 100%.. But i've experienced it before on my old sunny.. Test drive is ok but later that night while driving around for longer hours to check for any other probs.. my car tends to veer right when accel/braking. Slight wobbly feeling too. Went to arrow, got it changed to replicas ASAP. My front right rim got a 3inch crack and a hump starts to form on the adjacent shape. The tech said the welding is although smooth, sometimes rusts causes it to lose the bond. He told me I was quite lucky, if have pothole, sure will break. The welding was done quite sometime ago. He also pointed out my right shocks are going kaput, and alignment going off because of that rim. Anyways, that car lucky got it freaking cheap. But was unlucky with so many probs..

Advan 18" cost abt $800 each.

If its dented, can still repair. Not advisable to fix a cracked rim as the structure of the rim is already damaged.

I'm on Advan RG2. Exactly the same PCD, size and offset as yours. Try Leong Seng. I think they have it.

800 a pop??! Max I'll go also is 500/rim.. Any higher, confirmed eat grass for next month..

Turbocharged

Since u are selling soon why not downsize back to stock and trade in your rims?

The other 3 rims should still have some value left.

• Praise 2

I like this.

I like stock/stock size.

Don't need to be so heartache when damaged. Just replaced them.

No point getting super big wheels and wearing low profile tyres in Singapore with bad road patches here and there. They don't work well in Malaysia also with so many pot holes.

Since u are selling soon why not downsize back to stock and trade in your rims?
The other 3 rims should still have some value left.

• Praise 2

I like this.

I like stock/stock size.

Don't need to be so heartache when damaged. Just replaced them.

No point getting super big wheels and wearing low profile tyres in Singapore with bad road patches here and there. They don't work well in Malaysia also with so many pot holes.

where to find stock sia... also, stock would not fit my brembo brakes in front, they were the main reason why i had to upgrade to 18".

anyway, thank you to a lot of you guys for your expert opinion on welding issues. i confirm changing all rims already. most probably getting a used ROTA GRA I saw on marketplace. then most probably placing the other 2 up for sale. why 2? cause 1 more in front kena huge dent by the same rock.

just so surprising that a advan racing rs cannot withstand a rock.

Glad you made the right decision for safety sake.

Reckon you're on low profile tyres, that's why one simple rock will just destroy the rims. Be careful of those cargo lashing gears that often drop from lorries too.

where to find stock sia... also, stock would not fit my brembo brakes in front, they were the main reason why i had to upgrade to 18".

anyway, thank you to a lot of you guys for your expert opinion on welding issues. i confirm changing all rims already. most probably getting a used ROTA GRA I saw on marketplace. then most probably placing the other 2 up for sale. why 2? cause 1 more in front kena huge dent by the same rock.

Edited by Kangadrool

Since selling, I would trade in at tyre shop for stock rims and get some cash. Brembo brakes? Sell it too.

Consider urself lucky.

I hit a small rock damage the following:-

1 rims, need to change all 4

1 tyre, change 2 and actually, it's the start of R&D by a reputable WS.

Went for a drive and steering wheel is shaking.

Hoist up and found the driveshaft is bent.

Changed driveshaft and went for another drive.

Some noise appear at 40km/hr~60km/hr.

WS which changed the driveshaft say they cannot help further, went to the WS as owner also driving the same car.

Thinking shouldn't be a problem right but I was R&Ded.

They advised need to change engine mounts.

Still the same.

They advised to change pro-shaft.

Still the same.

Then I read, AWD need to have 4 same Tyres and once I swoop the balance 2, problem is gone.

When I sold the car, the WS told me 2/3 engine mount was changed but was charged 3/3.

Total damage of a rock, $4.5k, piss off by incident as well, sold the car shortly afterwards.

If it can't even withstand a rock, what about those potholes in malaysia? Some are as big/deep as a rock!

You need high profile tyres preferably at least 60. They can cushion the shock much better. Down side is braking distance will be slighter longer. Low profile tyres are useless in Singapore and Malaysia.

If it can't even withstand a rock, what about those potholes in malaysia? Some are as big/deep as a rock!

Edited by Kangadrool

what material is your rims?

aluminium? stainless steel?

not every material can be welded. and each weld has different things to look out for.

in additional to general welding issues like microcracks and heat affected zones, u need to take note of material characteristics e.g for high carbon ss. although welding is simple. but it may lead to chromium depletion due to formation of chromium carbide. this will cause rusting.

for welding aluminium. usually it will be more difficult than steel due to the lower melting point and the fact that it doesnt change colour before it goes molten. in additional u probably need to use tig welding. which I doubt most car workshop have.

Actually for high carbon content steel it is more difficult to weld, there is a formula used to calculate the carbon equivalent to determine how difficult welding is. High carbon content mean the steel is harder, therefore chances of having hydrogen-induced cold cracking. Such material the welding consumables need special heat treatment to remove moisture content inside before using.

• Praise 1

Actually for high carbon content steel it is more difficult to weld, there is a formula used to calculate the carbon equivalent to determine how difficult welding is. High carbon content mean the steel is harder, therefore chances of having hydrogen-induced cold cracking. Such material the welding consumables need special heat treatment to remove moisture content inside before using.

ya. not really cost effective to HT rims after welding. lol

↡ Advertisement