Pricey wagyu beef reaches the heartland

Darthrevan

ST_20140414_CWWAGYU145DQS_4094819e.jpg

Wagyu beef cuts at Huber's Butchery in Dempsey Road. Wagyu ribeye steaks can be bought at FairPrice Finest outlets and Western food chain Astons' coffee shop stalls. At the FairPrice Finest in Hougang, wagyu ribeye and striploin are sold at $118 and $93.80 per kg respectively.

Singapore's appetite for wagyu beef is growing and the reach of the premium bovine has extended beyond expensive restaurants.
Heartland supermarkets and even coffee shop stalls here are serving the rich marbled flesh, with consumers increasingly willing to pay for it.
"Singaporeans are known to be foodies and have sophisticated taste buds. They want to try out different kinds of meat," said Mr Thomas Ng, 53, meat supplier Indoguna's director of sales.
Wagyu ribeye steaks, for instance, can be found at FairPrice Finest outlets and Western food chain Astons' coffee shop stalls.
↡ Advertisement

should go Westgate and Jurong East, the Isetan supermarket selling all type of beef grade, one small pack (few slices) can go up to $100 [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

should go Westgate and Jurong East, the Isetan supermarket selling all type of beef grade, one small pack (few slices) can go up to $100 [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

still much cheaper than restaurant....

good jap beef restaurant like Masa easily $3-400 for 2

supermarket not restaurant lah.

Turbocharged

Still find wagyu lacking the texture for a steak. For shabu/steamboat it's nice and melt in your mouth, but prefer more bite when munching a steak.

IMO, grain fed aussie or USDA prime are ok liao, and generally prefer Huber to places like Finest. Dunno who told me before that Huber do wet aging of their meat.

Wagyu are simply overpriced in SG.

Yeap, like almost everything else from vegetables to cars to houses to government.

Just look at an example in US store, prices here about 30% more expensive:

post-128138-0-79038200-1397467680_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Yeah wagyu doesn't float my boat anymore, tak shiok lah. All the hype but taste nothing spectacular and I prefer more pork with my home-made shabu-shabu or hotpot.

Anyway I'm happier with my grass-fed beef that I get from Foodie market at tiong bahru. Tiagong they got some link with QB Food and their prices also very reasonable. Even with my lousy cooking skill also it's nice and juicy.

Edited by Myxilplix
  • Praise 2

there was one time i felt like having a big piece of meat (steak) and a good much. i ordered a T-bone steak. walao ... munch until i am sick of steak for a week. hehe

now i only go for small piece quality meat

Still find wagyu lacking the texture for a steak. For shabu/steamboat it's nice and melt in your mouth, but prefer more bite when munching a steak.

IMO, grain fed aussie or USDA prime are ok liao, and generally prefer Huber to places like Finest. Dunno who told me before that Huber do wet aging of their meat.

Edited by Wt_know

Supersonic

I also did not continue to eat wagyu after trying it a few times. Now I get my NZ tenderloins from a regular stall in the Toa Payoh wet market for $45 per kilo. I go through about 1-2 kilos once every 2 weeks. Shiok!

My monthly food budget! Burst in one meal!

Haha... Never go such atas / pricey place.. For me, got normal beef enough liao..

Yup! Like CUT and Bistecca, a meal for 2 easily cost $1/2k even with house pour.

If the house has the ambience and kitchen is quite well equip, it's a definitely

cheaper and more fun to spend a Sunday afternoon, whipped up something nice for two or small family.

price point from $50-100 already can get a bottle of very good wine in any supermarket and definitely going to cost double in restaurant.

300g each could be about $250 for 2. $30 already can get good ingredient for sides

Advantage is no need valet to drive home or have to stick to one drink for dinner.

No need reservation

if for young couple......no need to wait, dishes can do tomorrow, straight to the room after desserts [laugh]

Ok my suggestion still cost around the same, but it's the amount of food and wine that's increase.

Higher level of indugence. [laugh]

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 1

Yup! Like CUT and Bistecca, a meal for 2 easily cost $1/2k even with house pour.

If the house has the ambience and kitchen is quite well equip, it's a definitely

cheaper and more fun to spend a Sunday afternoon, whipped up something nice for two or small family.

price point from $50-100 already can get a bottle of very good wine in any supermarket and definitely going to cost double in restaurant.

300g each could be about $250 for 2. $30 already can get good ingredient for sides

Advantage is no need valet to drive home or have to stick to one drink for dinner.

No need reservation

if for young couple......no need to wait, dishes can do tomorrow, straight to the room after desserts [laugh]

Ok my suggestion still cost around the same, but it's the amount of food and wine that's increase.

Higher level of indugence. [laugh]

bistecca not so exp la. the steak florentine 1.2kg more than enough for 2 only abt $180? add starters and drink probably abt $300 nia. how u eat until 1-2k??

the base cost is around there mah.

buy from wholesaler can get more value from money.

http://www.qbfood.com.sg/path/index.php?cPath=37&sort=4a&page=2

http://www.zacbutchery.com.sg/

good for those parties or reunion dinner.

Never tried Zac before but QBFood is good. Highly patronize by ang mo. As Jack Neo in the movie "I not stupid" has said, what ang mo have must be good. [smash][smash][smash] . QB do have good range of beef. My favorite: Angus. Not only is the meat must be of reasonable quality, the process of cooking is equally important.

OT abit. I'm currently looking to invest in a water oven: Sous vide. Anyone using this? Share share leh. Am contemplating between non-circulatory Sous vide supreme and a circulatory Anova.

Yeah wagyu doesn't float my boat anymore, tak shiok lah. All the hype but taste nothing spectacular and I prefer more pork with my home-made shabu-shabu or hotpot.

Anyway I'm happier with my grass-fed beef that I get from Foodie market at tiong bahru. Tiagong they got some link with QB Food and their prices also very reasonable. Even with my lousy cooking skill also it's nice and juicy.

Yes shabu shabu kurobuta pork is better tasting than Beef

QB beef quality dropping year after year n I stopped buying from hem.

Edited by Tigerwoods
↡ Advertisement