Pinoy group underfire for celebrating independence day in SG

Baal

Supersonic

http://www.tremeritus.com/2014/04/16/pinoy-group-underfire-for-celebrating-independence-day-in-sg/

Pinoy group underfire for celebrating independence day in SG

dmca_protected_sml_120n.pngPostDateIcon.png April 16th, 2014 | PostAuthorIcon.png Author: Editorial

The Pilipino Independence Day Council Singapore (PIDCS) had to remove a Facebook posting about celebrating the 116th independence of the Philippines at Ngee Ann City in Orchard Road, after it drew a storm of vitriol and protests from presumably Singaporean netizens:

PIDCS-339x480.jpg

According to PIDCS Facebook page [Link], the council is a non-profit umbrella organization of Filipino Community in Singapore, represented by different societies of the Filipino Community consisting of Filipino Professionals, Skilled Workers, Cultural and Social Societies. PIDCS is mainly tasked with the organization of celebrating the Philippine independence Day Activities that will bring together the different Filipino Community Societies in Singapore.

PIDCS began as a committee whose chair was elected annually by representatives of various Filipino Community Societies. It said that the present PIDCS Committee has initiated its registration with the Registry of Societies in Singapore.

The online response came as a shock, PIDCS said, though they are still proceeding with their independence celebration at Ngee Ann City’s Civic Plaza on 8 June. This is pending approval of permits from the Singapore authorities.

The PIDCS decided to take down the Facebook posting after it drew hundreds of anti-Filipino comments, with many slamming the PIDCS for holding their Independence Day celebration in Singapore.

Co-chairman Rychie Andres said the vitriol took him by surprise and that it was “sad and disheartening”.

Mr Andres said the council has held celebrations in past years at Hong Lim Park and Suntec City, but has never received criticism on this scale.

Some of the comments made by netizens:

“It is unfortunate that the images and words used give the impression of the Philippines planting their flag onto Singapore soil and declaring it as part of their own. There seems to be no sensitivity in it. Almost like it was done on purpose.”

“Don’t let them celebrate their independence day at Takashimaya. We should stop them and throw them back to their country.”

Blogger, Cheated Singaporean, wrote on his blog [Link], “Celebrating your country’s Independence Day and flying your national flag in another country simply means invasion and disrespect to the host country. This event should not be tolerated at all.”

He asked, “Did the Singapore Police issue a permit to congregate for this event? The event would most likely see conflicts between Singaporeans and Filipinos, especially when the population of Filipinos in recent years have been getting too large for comfort. Ngee Ann City should also be taken to task for allowing the event to take place.”

“Filipinos in Singapore are known to be self-containing. They generally do not see the need to integrate with Singaporeans and often form their own community in enclaves like Lucky Plaza. They believe Singaporeans are racist towards them when Singaporeans are actually equally unfriendly to all foreigners due to overcrowding.

Filipinos do not understand the concept of overcrowding and the deteriorating quality of life for Singaporeans because their third world country is equally overcrowded.”

He added, “Given how their university degrees obtained in Philippines are not recognized anywhere else in the world and their working experience in the Philippines labour market is largely considered unqualified overseas, it is little wonder why Singaporeans feel unjust to have their jobs taken over…”

Most of the negative comments on PIDCS Facebook page have been deleted, except for the following which was left untouched:

PIDCS1.jpg

↡ Advertisement

how is this different from Singaporeans celebrate Singapore day in London?

$4.4 million budgeted for Singapore Day 2014 in London
PUBLISHED ON APR 15, 2014 12:12 PM
564 11 1 0PRINTEMAIL
singaporlondon1504e.jpg
Singaporeans and their guests enjoying the food on Singapore Day in London on March 29, 2014. -- ST FILE PHOTO: STEPHANIE YEOW

BY GOH CHIN LIAN

A total of $4.4 million was committed for last month's Singapore Day celebrations in London, attended by more than 9,000 people.

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean said the total expenditure is still being finalised, but "should be close to the budgeted amount".

He cited the details in a written parliamentary answer on Monday to Nominated MP Faizah Jamal. She had asked about the cost, the number of people flown from Singapore for the March 29 event at Victoria Park, and ensuring future events use eco-friendly, non-disposable wares.

The celebration has been held in a major city almost every year since 2007 to gather overseas Singaporeans and give them a taste of home, from hawker fare to home-grown entertainment.

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/44-million-budgeted-singapore-day-2014-london-20140415#sthash.acApF586.dpuf

• Praise 6

Yalor. They just want to celebrate their national day. Like that also kenna criticise?

Xenophobia kicking in?

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 4

Singapore Day in London date not August 9th National Day...

Got Flag flying in that Park or not I dunno lah.

I don't agree with Foreigners celebrating their National Day or Independence Day because if each FT country all wants to celebrate while in Spore, I think every other day is Holiday ! because here like UNITED NATION !

• Praise 8

how is this different from Singaporeans celebrate Singapore day in London?

$4.4 million budgeted for Singapore Day 2014 in London
PUBLISHED ON APR 15, 2014 12:12 PM
564 11 1 0PRINTEMAIL
singaporlondon1504e.jpg
Singaporeans and their guests enjoying the food on Singapore Day in London on March 29, 2014. -- ST FILE PHOTO: STEPHANIE YEOW

BY GOH CHIN LIAN

A total of $4.4 million was committed for last month's Singapore Day celebrations in London, attended by more than 9,000 people.

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean said the total expenditure is still being finalised, but "should be close to the budgeted amount".

He cited the details in a written parliamentary answer on Monday to Nominated MP Faizah Jamal. She had asked about the cost, the number of people flown from Singapore for the March 29 event at Victoria Park, and ensuring future events use eco-friendly, non-disposable wares.

The celebration has been held in a major city almost every year since 2007 to gather overseas Singaporeans and give them a taste of home, from hawker fare to home-grown entertainment.

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/44-million-budgeted-singapore-day-2014-london-20140415#sthash.acApF586.dpuf

when I read that this one was paid by Singapore, I was really amazed. what is the justification and rationale for paying this? marketing or nation building?

Turbocharged

when singapore organise a "singapore day" in other countries, govt's motive is to promote singapore n call to more FTs to come singapore.

pinoys celebrating their independance day in singapore....to call for ppl to go their country?? dont tink so. mayb to call more of their countrymen to come here. n also, y many are against is bcos of their use of images linked to singapore in their posters. it's like saying those things are in pinoyland.

• Praise 3

A lot of people got it wrongly by quoting the SG day in London as an example saying what's the difference. SG day in London is not in celebration of independence. Celebration of indepence in another country is normally done behind close doors or in embassy area. Not in public places like this.

Edited by Damienic
  • Praise 10

To be fair... Singapore day is actually 1 of the better things that was done by the gahment...

Its enables Singaporeans overseas to be in touch with the home country and also pple from the host nations to be invited to know more abt Singapore

Alot of envy from other foreigners who wondered Y their home countries do not do this...

Budget shld trim down abit though... and this is totally different from celebrating National day in a foreign land...

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

A lot of people got it wrongly by quoting the SG day in London as an example saying what's the difference. SG day in London is not in celebration of independence. Celebration of indepence in another country is normally done behind close doors or in embassy area. Not in public places like this.

yes u are right. those are definitely different events. only s'pore govt is stupid enough to allow these bunch of pinoy to celebrate their national day at a big public event.

food for thought. recently there was a report that pinoys ranks lowest in terms of likelihood of assimilation into foreign countries one migrates to.

I didn't read how the research was carried out and how it came up with the results though. so I am not standing by the results but I thought it is good point for discussion and to ponder.

To be fair... Singapore day is actually 1 of the better things that was done by the gahment...

Its enables Singaporeans overseas to be in touch with the home country and also pple from the host nations to be invited to know more abt Singapore

Alot of envy from other foreigners who wondered Y their home countries do not do this...

Budget shld trim down abit though... and this is totally different from celebrating National day in a foreign land...

before I know of the price tag, I applauded the move.

my view is that it is excessive. it is good to let singaporeans in foreign land identify with and feel proud of Singapore. but it should not come from taxpayers' monies. because such benefits are mostly intangible+non-pecuniary and worse is, it then comes with expectations that such a day should be similarly sponsored for Singapore citizens in major cities like shanghai, Beijing, KL, New York, Sydney etc.

if they had paid for it out of sponsorship monies, then I have nothing to say.

Edited by Acemundo

Just my observations.

Lucky plaza, Taka, Novena Church and Botanic Garden = Pinoy

Peninsula plaza = Myanmar

East Coast Park, Jurong Interchange MRT, City Sq and MBS = Bangala + Pinoy

Oh yes, not to forget the amount of PRC which i didnt even want to add in....

Where else can i go that i can enjoy peacefully...

Edited by Thingy

Later in Singapore we also dunno whose is whose national day............

aliens walking among us everywhere.......

when 6.9M fully comes in , we will celebrate almost everyday........

an independence day celebration cannot go about without flags

i sincerely hope that they will get big big PH flags and wave it all around like chingay like that in orchard road

what a sight it would be [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4