Dead inmate's mother is "quite happy" with compensation!

AhJason

So it is all about the money, money, money and money is all they want and money is their end game... All those hoohoohaha is just for show only .... Looks like so many people kanna made use of. [thumbsdown][thumbsdown][thumbsdown] So, just say how much is the compensation lah?

http://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/dead-inmates-mother-happy-government-compensation

DEAD INMATE'S MOTHER IS HAPPY WITH GOVERNMENT COMPENSATION

The mother of an inmate who died in Changi Prison has withdrawn her appeal for a second inquest into her son's death following an "amicable settlement" with the Government.

Madam Selvi Narayanasamy, 45, has also withdrawn her civil suit seeking compensation for the death of her son Dinesh Raman Chinnaiah, bringing the saga to a close. The amount of money paid to Madam Selvi in the settlement is confidential.

Dinesh, then 21, had died of breathing problems while being placed chest down and left in an isolation cell on Sept 27, 2010. He was restrained after he kicked a prison warden on Sept 27, 2010.

The coroner's inquiry into his death was discontinued after senior prison officer Lim Kwo Yin pleaded guilty last year. The officer was fined $10,000 for causing death by negligence.

Madam Selvi filed a judicial review challenging the coroner's decision not to continue the inquiry into her son's death shortly after but that was dismissed by the High Court in October last year. She appealed and arguments were heard earlier this month before the three-judge Court of Appeal, which reserved judgment.

On Wednesday, Madam Selvi's lawyer M. Ravi told the appeals court that "parties have arrived at an amicable settlement" and she was withdrawing her appeal. Senior State Counsel Tai Wei Shyong had no objections.

Madam Selvi was not in court but Mr Ravi said she was "quite happy" with the settlement.

"It's also a closure for her. She has decided to move on with her life," he said. "She felt vindicated when her rights were ventilated before the High Court and Court of Appeal."

Edited by AhJason
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

during then when possibility of compensation was mooted, I already took the stand that there is no good justification to compensate save for the emotional trauma of the mother losing a son, albeit the son being a wayward one.

• Praise 2

I wouldn't imagine a mother will be happy with any compensation for the lost of her child. I believe she wanted to move on and recon no point to pursue this matter further.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I wouldn't imagine a mother will be happy with any compensation for the lost of her child. I believe she wanted to move on and recon no point to pursue this matter further.

Agreed. No parent would be happy. The compensation at best helps conclude that it was the facility's fault. Hence, its helpful for her to reconcile within and try to move forward with her life.

No way she would hv win against the authorities anyway.

Precisely, at least in this case theres a form of closure.

Edited by Baal
  • Praise 1

So it is all about the money, money, money and money is all they want and money is their end game... All those hoohoohaha is just for show only .... Looks like so many people kanna made use of. [thumbsdown][thumbsdown][thumbsdown] So, just say how much is the compensation lah?

I think your post is very unfair. Just because she said she's "quite happy" with the settlement doesn't mean she's (emotionally) happy at all. In this case it probably just means that she's satisfied that it's the best outcome she's going to get out of all this. If you're destitute, and the government came to you with a dollar offer that will let you support yourself would you turn it down? Especially if your chances of prevailing against this government body were realistically slim to none (her lawyer probably advised her of this). The government wasn't paying her because they thought they couldn't win, but because they wanted the continued negative publicity to go away. What better way than making an offer they could (of course) easily afford?

And the terms of the compensation are probably sealed. Why do you care how much it is?

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 8

http://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/dead-inmates-mother-happy-government-compensation

Then you want the government to give her another son?

Who will be the donator?

• Praise 1

Then you want the government to give her another son?

Who will be the donator?

just pick another one from the place where her son died.......

many replacements there...... [:/]

But I dun think her son can make that kind of money and give it to her [rolleyes]

Not to mention he was in jail most of the time.

DEAD INMATE'S MOTHER IS HAPPY WITH GOVERNMENT COMPENSATION

The mother of an inmate who died in Changi Prison has withdrawn her appeal for a second inquest into her son's death following an "amicable settlement" with the Government.

Madam Selvi Narayanasamy, 45, has also withdrawn her civil suit seeking compensation for the death of her son Dinesh Raman Chinnaiah, bringing the saga to a close. The amount of money paid to Madam Selvi in the settlement is confidential.

Dinesh, then 21, had died of breathing problems while being placed chest down and left in an isolation cell on Sept 27, 2010. He was restrained after he kicked a prison warden on Sept 27, 2010.

The coroner's inquiry into his death was discontinued after senior prison officer Lim Kwo Yin pleaded guilty last year. The officer was fined $10,000 for causing death by negligence.

Madam Selvi filed a judicial review challenging the coroner's decision not to continue the inquiry into her son's death shortly after but that was dismissed by the High Court in October last year. She appealed and arguments were heard earlier this month before the three-judge Court of Appeal, which reserved judgment.

On Wednesday, Madam Selvi's lawyer M. Ravi told the appeals court that "parties have arrived at an amicable settlement" and she was withdrawing her appeal. Senior State Counsel Tai Wei Shyong had no objections.

Madam Selvi was not in court but Mr Ravi said she was "quite happy" with the settlement.

"It's also a closure for her. She has decided to move on with her life," he said. "She felt vindicated when her rights were ventilated before the High Court and Court of Appeal."

Whoa lau, you say until she is like damn gian png. Being a criminal's mother what can she really ask for?

I think the most she wants is to know the truth behind her son's death. The details. That's closure for her.

I suggest you dun look at the 5cent coin as if it's the size of the Singapore flyer.

• Praise 3

Supercharged

wait wait wait...

how come such thing linked to govt can private settlement one...

some more never disclose amount...

First of all, a life gone in govt facility..

then.. tax payers money used for compensation??

should the court be the one that judge the payout so as to fair for all parties??

Edited by Knoobie
  • Praise 2

I'm guessing she wanted to visit the cell or spot where her son died in prison. To see where her son's final resting place. Most normal ppl would do that. Those who can only think of money are hopeless.

govt just want to quickly hush-hush close case, anyway compensation $$$ using taxpayers money, not their own $$! Win-Win!

• Praise 1

compensation should be deducted from the bonus of prison officers

i heard that they make around $200k pa there + lodgings

• Praise 2

'Happy' word is used wrongly. Perhaps replaced with 'satisfied' , a more appropriate description.

No amount of $ can replace the loss of one's child, even though he had committed a crime.

Probably she'd been advised that she won't stand to gain, better to settle the case and have Closure.

• Praise 3

But I dun think her son can make that kind of money and give it to her [rolleyes]

Not to mention he was in jail most of the time.

with this type of son, never 倒贴 the mother can 偷笑 already.

the son is typically those type of -ve income asset ie liabilities

• Praise 2

end of the day, the son was supposed to be released to work.

the son would most probably give some money to the mother.

with the son gone, where is she getting the money from?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2