Accident at Bukit Merah, 24 April 2014

Columbian78

Today an accident occurred in front of me. I did not witness the collision as my eyes were not looking in front at the specific moment. Heard tires screeching, bang, looked up and saw the post dragging of the 2 cars. Taxi uncle was pointing his finger furiously, seemingly angry at the carelessness of the avante driver. I believe there were no serious injury involved and continued my way.

(Youtube disabled the audio due to the songs playing from my radio)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

this road should have traffic light junction!

I think Avante didnt see taxi coming as his view blocked by the lorry

Edited by Thaiyotakamli

Avante salah.. Looks like his left side view was blocked by the passing lorry when he started to cross. The taxi's view was blocked too and was too close to brake.

Two workshops will be happy, and our average insurance premium will go up that little bit.

Basically, if your view is block..just be a little bit patient and wait for while..with that..it can prevent lots of accident.

Ignore those that keep beep beep behind..cause you in front and it your car and life..anything happen..the car that keep beep beep will not help you

• Praise 11

Classic example of non defensive driving from the Taxi, not saying the taxi is wrong, it's just that sometimes others make error but we still can avoid accidents by slowing down or e braking...

Edit: After reviewing the video, seems like Avante totally misjudge there, Taxi driver view might be block by lorry as well.

Edited by Deckbuild
  • Praise 1

I drove passed there after the accident. I saw those neighborhood Police officer taking picture and measuring the distance on the road. I didnt see any TP.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Avante sala but taxi also never practise defensive driving.

Pls slow down when approching intersections.

Supercharged

Basically, if your view is block..just be a little bit patient and wait for while..with that..it can prevent lots of accident.

Ignore those that keep beep beep behind..cause you in front and it your car and life..anything happen..the car that keep beep beep will not help you

yep. if i am in the position of the avante, you can horn all you want. if i am not ready to move, i will not release the brakes~!

sigh... lucky no one was injured (according to TS)

xiao chai xiao chai~!

• Praise 2

There are 2 traffic lights there, but one before that stretch and one after that stretch. Agree that the bus interchange and the entrance is a big problem. IIRC someone was knocked down before at the car park entrance. Cars coming from the taxi direction, making a quick turn into the car park and people crossing at the entrance makes it an accident waiting to happen.

Supercharged

seriously... why do we need traffic light at all intersections in Singapore??

is it really necessary?? you go all other countries, they also didn't have traffic lights managing well..

I will say it is mainly the Avante's fault.. he's got a stop line and should check clearly before moving off..

the taxi on the other hand also should have been cautious enough to slow down at such junction..

I hope the insurance company don't put all fault on the Avante but probably 70% Avante and 30% Taxi..

seriously... why do we need traffic light at all intersections in Singapore??

is it really necessary?? you go all other countries, they also didn't have traffic lights managing well..

I will say it is mainly the Avante's fault.. he's got a stop line and should check clearly before moving off..

the taxi on the other hand also should have been cautious enough to slow down at such junction..

I hope the insurance company don't put all fault on the Avante but probably 70% Avante and 30% Taxi..

i dont see how the taxi driver has a fault here. its clear that the taxi has the right of way

speeding or not, it's up to individual judgement

• Praise 1

all those people who said his view blocked... Look at the 27sec mark... you can clearly see the cab coming down... why the avante driver cross the junction ONLY looking to his right?? Surely he could have stopped in time IF he bothered to look to the left..

Please send this video into the TP... its evidence to help the taxi driver.. Bodoh avante..

↡ Advertisement