Should cyclists "Dismount and Push" at crossings?

Dru8999

In my daily drives, I have encountered many instances of cyclist speeding up and trying to beat the "flashing green man" at pedestrian crossings, resulting in near-misses for both drivers and even fellow pedestrians.

Just yesterday, I witnessed this SBS feeder bus making a left turn. After the pedestrians had finished crossing, the bus started to move off and all of a sudden, the driver had to brake hard when a cyclist suddenly appeared from the left-side of the half-turned bus and cut in front of the turning bus. The bus stopped inches from the cyclist but instead of being thankful for not being runned-over, the cyclist stopped in front of the bus and started gesturing at the poor driver and also hurled verbal abuses.I have to salute the bus captain for being cool-headed and he just ignored the cyclist and continued his journey after a brief 30-sec commotion.

Some cyclists want the best of both worlds, " Green light for vehicles, go! Green man for pedestrians, go!".

I feel strongly that cyclists should dismount and push their bicycles at zebra-crossings and also other pedestrian crossings. It may be inconvenient, but it may save lives,

As a fellow road-user, I feel that everyone has a role to play to ensure road safety for all.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Cyclist should be 100% banned from the road for the following reasons:

1. They are not required to pass any license to ensure they know the traffic rules

2. They are not subject to any physical examination to ensure adequate eyesight and non-colour blind

3. Their bicycles are not subject to ViCOM inspection that they are road worthy

4. There are no mandatory laws to ensure propose insurance coverage for cyclist and other real road users.

5. They contribute nothing to road tax or peak hour surcharges but yet still utilize the road and most of the times, nuisance to other road paying motorist.

Till the day where enough black thrash bag to zip them up and send them to mortuary, they will not learn the lesson even is written in blood. Sad but true.

• Praise 10
  • Dislike 1

If it is a traffic light junction and the green man is flashing, I can see why the cyclist went ahead. But with the number of similar incidents resulting in fatality recently, he should have known better than to demand his right of way with his life.

It's the zebra crossings that irks me the most, the least they can do is come to a stop at the crossing and wait for cars stop for them first.

• Praise 1

Some cyclists want the best of both worlds, " Green light for vehicles, go! Green man for pedestrians, go!".

I think those electric bicycles are the worst! They think they are riding motorcycles.

Met 2 Ah Bengs ferrying their girlfriends at Sengkang yesterday. Riding on pavements, across pedestrian crossings and on center of public roads!

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

Absolutely. It's the law. The fact that it's not seriously enforced is not relevant (it should be better enforced).

But there's a good reason for the law. What I consider the "Goldilocks Zone" of speed for getting into trouble - neither too fast nor too slow. Cyclists fall precisely into this zone, so they should take their safety into their own hands and be more responsible. Let me reference a post I made earlier about this: http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2691646-police-investigating-vivo-cyclist/page-6?do=findComment&comment=5060940

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

In my daily drives, I have encountered many instances of cyclist speeding up and trying to beat the "flashing green man" at pedestrian crossings, resulting in near-misses for both drivers and even fellow pedestrians.

Just yesterday, I witnessed this SBS feeder bus making a left turn. After the pedestrians had finished crossing, the bus started to move off and all of a sudden, the driver had to brake hard when a cyclist suddenly appeared from the left-side of the half-turned bus and cut in front of the turning bus. The bus stopped inches from the cyclist but instead of being thankful for not being runned-over, the cyclist stopped in front of the bus and started gesturing at the poor driver and also hurled verbal abuses.I have to salute the bus captain for being cool-headed and he just ignored the cyclist and continued his journey after a brief 30-sec commotion.

I feel strongly that cyclists should dismount and push their bicycles at zebra-crossings and also other pedestrian crossings. It may be inconvenient, but it may save lives,

As a fellow road-user, I feel that everyone has a role to play to ensure road safety for all.

I usually horn the hell out of cyclist who think they hv right of way as though they are pedestrians.

Bicycles are considered road vehicles, to start with

Therefore i expect them to watch the other pedestrians and understand that they do not hv right of way.

Otherwise cars and bikes should drive onto pvements

• Praise 7

Neutral Newbie

i have nothing against cyclist who follow the law and respect road users. If they cycle on the extreme left lane forming a single line, cars shld give way to them. Road respect... but what i hate most is those cyclist who uses right turn arrow at traffic light junctions!!! they cycle to the right lane, turn right on the junction with all the vehicles, then start to keep left when all the cars are coming. IMH, WTF are they thinking!!! They have a bloody death wish??? either these pple are stupid.. or they shld just get off the road...

• Praise 1

Supersonic

i have nothing against cyclist who follow the law and respect road users. If they cycle on the extreme left lane forming a single line, cars shld give way to them. Road respect... but what i hate most is those cyclist who uses right turn arrow at traffic light junctions!!! they cycle to the right lane, turn right on the junction with all the vehicles, then start to keep left when all the cars are coming. IMH, WTF are they thinking!!! They have a bloody death wish??? either these pple are stupid.. or they shld just get off the road...

Sorry, don't quite get your post. (Pedal) bikes are allowed to turn right legally just like any other vehicle. As long as the form up correctly at the left side of the right-turning lanes, hand signal appropriately and take it easy, I have no problem with this.

Some cyclists realise that not all drivers are patient with them turning right, which is why they resorted to using the pedestrian crossings to get from right to left in the first place. This is a safer alternative for them; however, if they're doing this, they really should be dismounting and wheeling their bike across rather than riding across the crossing like a vehicle.

• Praise 2

(edited)

It happened to me yesterday at Eu Tong Sen street traffic junction turning towards OG. I was first car and after making sure no more pedestrains at both sides and already red man, proceeded to turn only to jam brake a split second later 'cos an Indian man dashed across on his bike!! I was just inches away from knocking him down. Blardy hell! Good thing for this defensive driving which kicked in under that split second. I'm sure one day he'll get run down. Mark my word.

Edited by Count-Bracula
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

It happened to me yesterday at Eu Tong Sen street traffic junction turning towards OG. I was first car and after making sure no more pedestrains at both sides and already red man, proceeded to turn only to jam brake a split second later 'cos an Indian man dashed across on his bike!! I was just inches away from knocking him down. Blardy hell! Good thing for this defensive driving which kicked in under that split second. I'm sure one day he'll get run down. Mark my word.

Thank goodness for your defensive driving. Otherwise he would be a Red Indian, or even a Dead Indian. [sweatdrop]

(edited)

Thank goodness for your defensive driving. Otherwise he would be a Red Indian, or even a Dead Indian. [sweatdrop]

Yeah. Thank goodness as I may be deemed to be a reckless driver and even jumping into Yellow River also no use. Better hook up my batts and keep my car cam running from now on but keep forgetting. Edited by Count-Bracula

4th Gear

Definitely they should. It is a simple action which could prevent injury or death. Cyclist often choose to have the best of both worlds, acting as a road user or a pedestrian as and when it is the most convenient to them.

I have seen cyclist ignore red lights endangering pedestrians or dashing on "green man" endangering themselves.

I think cyclist need to understand that if shit happens they are often on the losing end. It doesn't matter who is right but who will be badly injured or getting killed.

• Praise 1

(edited)

every morning i drive thru orchard road

cyclist change lane from lane 4 to lane 1

every car need to slowdown to give way

dont play play

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

I dont see anything wrong. They have the right and in fact should follow traffic lights just as cars .

After turning right, they must keep left, nothing wrong.

Just becos you are impatient doesnt mean they are wrong.

Unless they still dilly dally slowly slowly. But remember they only have leg power.

During primary days, teacher taught us to "Stop, Look, Walk" at Zebra crossing.

Even bought us to road safety park to enhance this road safety knowledge.

Now, road safety park had been closed, the gracious lion resigned, how do young learn about safety and courtesy about road sharing?

• Praise 2

(edited)

The same happened to my wife. Exact frigging same scenario as you have described.

She stopped at zebra crossing and a few folks crossed the road. She checked all clear. As she was gonna move off, an Indian FT on a bicycle (Female) sped at break neck speed and dashed across the zebra crossing, banging into my wife's car.

Driving is like russian roulette. Lan lan, she kena from TP and as the car belonged to me (2nd vehicle), my NCD was wiped out. Damn TL of course.

Yes, all these cyclists should dismount and not sabo drivers anymore!

you damn heng ah!

Edited by Achtung
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1