Lengthy Insurance Claim

(edited)

Early last month, I got into a minor accident. I was at fault. Both cars suffered some external dent, no problem to continue driving.

Since it's quite minor and I am on NCD protector, I told the other driver to claim against my insurance. We both went through the usual reporting procedure. I got my car repaired in two days, change one door panel. I paid for my own repair of about 1k. I expect the repair of the other car should be the most about similar amount. The other driver sent his car back to the authorise agent. His damage was a dented front bumper and some plastic parts around the fog light area

As it's my fault, I really feel sorry for causing trouble to the other driver, so I had been checking with him constantly. After more than a month, his car is still not repaired yet. He waited 2-3 weeks for the insurance to approve his claim, then waiting for parts to arrive (VW MPV), and still waiting.

From my past experience few years ago of claiming against others for minor accident, the most was about a week, including insurance survey and repair. Is there change in insurance claim procedure? Anyone know why it's taking so long, or is the other driver not doing it correctly?

Edited by Ragingbull
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

VW AD workshop's SOP is to replace whole bumper and spray bumper to body color.

No knocking, no beating, no soaking in hot water bath, no touch up paint.

Mine last time had cost $2,500. Claimed against other driver, a doctor, who chose to pay himself vs claim from his insurance.

His first reaction was shock and utter disbelief!

Bumper damage only what, he retorted.

I showed him the AD invoice.

He wanted AD's contact to verify replacement job (and why not repair), why so high price, why must spray paint bumper etc. etc.

Eventually, he LL paid up.

But without compraining to me that nowsaday, AD just replace parts whole and don't do repair jobs anymore!

• Praise 1

What I understand AD don't like to do 3rd party claims.

What if 3rd party not approve after repair?

AD will have to spend time to rectify the problem.

So solution, let claim to be approve first before repair lor.

Once I when to toyota AD to replace rear bumper... Opp party fault n OK to send in my car to AD to fix....

AD quoted 4k plus... As mention above they will replace everything brand new.. The opp party jaw drop.... Then say ask me to claim his insurance....

But AD handle everything very pro

• Praise 1

(edited)

Mine last time had cost $2,500. Claimed against other driver, a doctor, who chose to pay himself vs claim from his insurance.

It's a misconception that the party at fault choose to pay for the repair, unless it's very small amount, and just want to avoid the reporting paperwork.

Generally, whatever the total sum up increase in the follow years insurance cost will still be lesser than the repair cost paying upfront.

Edited by LoneCatFish
  • Praise 1

VW AD workshop's SOP is to replace whole bumper and spray bumper to body color.

No knocking, no beating, no soaking in hot water bath, no touch up paint.

His first reaction was shock and utter disbelief!

Bumper damage only what, he retorted.

I showed him the AD invoice.

He wanted AD's contact to verify replacement job (and why not repair), why so high price, why must spray paint bumper etc. etc.

Eventually, he LL paid up.

But without compraining to me that nowsaday, AD just replace parts whole and don't do repair jobs anymore!

$2.5K is IMO ridiculous for a bumper replacement. But when there's contact on the bumper I believe there's more damage what lies behind the bumper. But for most drivers they dunno lah. There are always metal parts that required to straighten back or replaced if broken beyond repair. In some cases the spare tire well is crumpled or collasped becoz of the impact, that requires more work. But mechanics being not descriptive in their report writing skill they just put replacement of bumper for easy understanding. LoL...

(edited)

Early last month, I got into a minor accident. I was at fault. Both cars suffered some external dent, no problem to continue driving.

Since it's quite minor and I am on NCD protector, I told the other driver to claim against my insurance. We both went through the usual reporting procedure. I got my car repaired in two days, change one door panel. I paid for my own repair of about 1k. I expect the repair of the other car should be the most about similar amount. The other driver sent his car back to the authorise agent. His damage was a dented front bumper and some plastic parts around the fog light area

As it's my fault, I really feel sorry for causing trouble to the other driver, so I had been checking with him constantly. After more than a month, his car is still not repaired yet. He waited 2-3 weeks for the insurance to approve his claim, then waiting for parts to arrive (VW MPV), and still waiting.

From my past experience few years ago of claiming against others for minor accident, the most was about a week, including insurance survey and repair. Is there change in insurance claim procedure? Anyone know why it's taking so long, or is the other driver not doing it correctly?

That's the problem when the car owner chooses to go back to AD. If he had chose to settle it privately things could have moved a little faster. If outside workshop he could still get a brand new genuine bumper and have it sprayed paint to match the paint job, if he's not fussy of course. For new cars owner they will probably choose to go back to AD but at a cost as they are much more costlier and they usually do one to one replacement instead of doing repairs which requires more time & labour. Doing a swap is easier for the mechanics and more profitable. But If it's an old car just do a repair and paintjob can liao. I mean that's a so called fair demand.

Since the part is not readily avaliable the car owner just LL have to wait.

Like I mentioned earlier there's usually more dan meets the eye with minor impacts. What ppl cannot see is the damage behind the bumper. AD of course will not waste time do repairs but outside workshop might. That's why some ppl choose to go back to AD. Get new replacement parts instead of repairs. And that will translate to higher cost as well.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Actually SG car insurance is quite disgusting... For the cheap car that I had, the insurance that I paid are as follow:

Year 1 $2300

Year 2 $1700

Year 3 $1400

Year 4 $1100

Insurance company never lose $ on my case before... Car is cheap $40k car, insurance paid is close to 20%. What a sham!

$2.5K is IMO ridiculous for a bumper replacement. But when there's contact on the bumper I believe there's more damage what lies behind the bumper. But for most drivers they dunno lah. There are always metal parts that required to straighten back or replaced if broken beyond repair. In some cases the spare tire well is crumpled or collasped becoz of the impact, that requires more work. But mechanics being not descriptive in their report writing skill they just put replacement of bumper for easy understanding. LoL...

No lah, mine was only localized damage.

Bumper corner slightly caved in ... abt size of rugby ball nia.

Confirmed no other damage to chassis, body metal, boot, or spare tyre well.

Supersonic

Yours is minor accident also drag so long? What if it is consider more serious accident, then how? Lol.

Once I when to toyota AD to replace rear bumper... Opp party fault n OK to send in my car to AD to fix....

AD quoted 4k plus... As mention above they will replace everything brand new.. The opp party jaw drop.... Then say ask me to claim his insurance....

But AD handle everything very pro

Sama sama here, except that mine was 6k.

Poor guy still begged me to take his 3k...

I say : Uncle, mine still under warranty, so in future if anything spoil, and AD void my warranty, you wanna bao gar liao or not?

I think he go back scold his daughter, cos she's the one to bang me, and she's still on probation.

Yours is minor accident also drag so long? What if it is consider more serious accident, then how? Lol.

Mine took 3 years & still waiting ... I was injured & the other insurance company refused to accept most of the blame until some time early this year the court ruled in my favour. Now they do not agree on amount claimed (likely less than $50k in total)

God knows how much longer... some insurers really ***hole... like to play the "drag and delay" game ... [smash]

Sama sama here, except that mine was 6k.

Poor guy still begged me to take his 3k...

I say : Uncle, mine still under warranty, so in future if anything spoil, and AD void my warranty, you wanna bao gar liao or not?

I think he go back scold his daughter, cos she's the one to bang me, and she's still on probation.

6K? Y he dun wan claim insurance? Or izzit bcos on probation kena accident will be worse than the 6K?

6K? Y he dun wan claim insurance? Or izzit bcos on probation kena accident will be worse than the 6K?

I think his daughter's accident will cause him major loading in the coming renewal lor.

That's why he die-die don't mind 'giving' me the 3k, instead of paying high premium for years to come...

Supersonic

New driver usually also will have a high excess/co-insurance....

Hi all, just to update and share the infor.

The other party finally got his car repaired after nearly 2 months of waiting, claimed about 9k on my insurance.

Also just got my insurance renewal quote. With NCD protector, my net premium increased from 1.7k to 2.1k, inclusive of on-going NCD protector.