Holidaying Back, pls pay GST

Ktglfc

Hypersonic

Just a sincere reminder to all our MCFers :)

Travellers returning to Singapore to pay GST for shopping purchases

Published on May 27, 2014 2:07 PM - See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/travellers-returning-singapore-shopping-have-pay-goods-a#sthash.6bT62Xnl.dpuf

Travelling this school holidays? Singapore Customs is reminding travellers who return from overseas with shopping worth more than $600 to declare their goods and pay GST on it. More details here: http://bit.ly/1wdg0yR

June is coming and that means overseas holidays for many families. But beware of lugging back too much shopping from your jaunts as your spoils could be subject to Goods and Service Tax (GST) once you get home.

Singapore Customs has issued an advisory to remind travellers that GST is exempt for only for a certain value. If you travel out of Singapore for less than 48 hours, then you will not have to pay GST for goods valued up to $150. If you are away for more than 48 hours, you are exempt from GST for goods valued up to $600.

Travellers will have to pay GST only on the value of the goods that exceeds the GST relief. For example, if you buy $800 worth of goods on a four-day trip to Hong Kong, you will need to pay GST for the $200 worth of goods. At 7 per cent, that comes up to $14.

You will have to produce invoices or receipts of these purchases to help calculate the tax payable. You can pay taxes at the Singapore Customs' Tax Payment Office or at the self-service Tax Payment Kiosk at the checkpoints.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Need more money to cover the black hole.....this one also wanna tax! One time go Paris buy LV kana tax liao......hahaha! Desperate sia!

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

So guys, if you buy 4 new tyres from JB, be good and remember to declare for GST hor.... [grin]

Just rub some mud on it can Liao.

• Praise 2

So guys, if you buy 4 new tyres from JB, be good and remember to declare for GST hor.... [grin]

bring 2 friends along lar....cost distributed by 3....sure less than 150!
  • Praise 1

Tyres? Unless you buying those 13", 14" type. [laugh]

MY come here to buy leh.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

i wonder what services was rendered by SG side when i bought my things from overseas?

now go out still gotta keep track of receipts?!?

major facepalm leh.

• Praise 4

Just rub some mud on it can Liao.

Setting up car mud bath shop now!!!! [grin]

Go JB give siao, cum back how to pay gst [grin]

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Setting up car mud bath shop now!!!! [grin]

Go JB give siao, cum back how to pay gst [grin]

U got bring receipt Boh??? If got can pay. But ur wife found out not gahmen fault hor.

Turbocharged

Hee...

If don't have receipt then tax charged on "market value"? Even if you bought on a 70% sale, customs still uses Orchard road price to tax you?

Anyway - best way is to remove tags and take out of packing...

• Praise 1

If you don't declare, and they found you have bought an LV bag - will kena fine or only pay GST ?

I think I need to start buying online...

Or

Maybe they are already thinking of how to track and tax you as well...

Hypersonic

Buy in overseas while holidaying, carry back the things ourselves. So, where is the service rendered?

Goods not buy here.

Services not rendered here.

So, why need to pay GST?

• Praise 5

bring 2 friends along lar....cost distributed by 3....sure less than 150!

Wah, this one is what my smoker friend does when we go Malaysia. All the non-smokers got to help him carry 1 pack of ciggies (or whatever is the amount that we can bring in) for him then pass to him after that. LoL.