Gas vs Electric water heater

Bluepica

Saw Citygas having promo on gas water heater ... feel like changing my current instant heater.

Got a question that need input from current gas water heater users:-

1. For those instant gas water heater (not storage), do I need a mixer tap?

if answer is "no", next question ..

2. Will the outlet water pressure stronger than those normal electric instant heater or same ?

Thanks! [:)]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Saw Citygas having promo on gas water heater ... feel like changing my current instant heater.

Got a question that need input from current gas water heater users:-

1. For those instant gas water heater (not storage), do I need a mixer tap?

if answer is "no", next question ..

2. Will the outlet water pressure stronger than those normal electric instant heater or same ?

Thanks! [:)]

better stick to traditional small powered electrical water heaters

gas water heaters need at least some amounts of water pressure

most people dont have these kind of pressure

also gas water heaters have a minimum amount of gas to be used, if not, it wont fire it up

that minimum anmount of gas may be producing hot water which is too hot for you

i have the gas heater fixed for 14 years liao, i didnt like it

• Praise 1

better stick to traditional small powered electrical water heaters

gas water heaters need at least some amounts of water pressure

most people dont have these kind of pressure

also gas water heaters have a minimum amount of gas to be used, if not, it wont fire it up

but i understand gas heater is more economical than electric one....

why dont like? The tank types takes more time to heat up?

• Praise 1

That's not true. In fact, I find electric heater is hotter. The heater I got from city gas set to max still can tahan, but not scalding hot type.

Indeed, it will not fire up if you turn on too small. That can be solved by turning on the tap full blast first to let it ignite then only turn small.

That's not true. In fact, I find electric heater is hotter. The heater I got from city gas set to max still can tahan, but not scalding hot type.

Indeed, it will not fire up if you turn on too small. That can be solved by turning on the tap full blast first to let it ignite then only turn small.

Does it need a mixer or direct from the heater to shower head can already?

(edited)

Does it need a mixer or direct from the heater to shower head can already?

need a water mixer else it's too hot. You need cold water to lower the temperature. The temperature control will not be within your reach as the heater is centralised. Usually, you don't extend the gas pipe all the way into your toilet and it's probably not allowed anyway as the heater needs to be near the window for ventilation of fumes.

Edited by Tjkbeluga

Use electric storage heater.

Switch on 10 mins before use. Switch it off before you enter shower (if you are paranoid about electricity thinghy).

Small tank (think 25L kind) is good enough for 2 person to use before you need to switch on again.

Supersonic

I find traditional small powered electrical water heater is good enough for a hot shower le. Unless you are talking about those countries in winter, where temp fall below minus 0 deg, maybe need gas water heater. Seems like gas water heater sounds like quite complicated.

• Praise 2

but i understand gas heater is more economical than electric one....

why dont like? The tank types takes more time to heat up?

most of the time, the water too hot

i think the difference not too much

i think is 0.25 vs 0.21 per kwh or something like that

my place the water tank is not sheltered

so it absorb some amount of heat from the sun

at night i go bath the cold water very shiok

not cold enough to jump but cold enough to remove heat from my body at a confortable rate

I find traditional small powered electrical water heater is good enough for a hot shower le. Unless you are talking about those countries in winter, where temp fall below minus 0 deg, maybe need gas water heater. Seems like gas water heater sounds like quite complicated.

the small 707 water heater good enough for HDB flat, for less than $200 it is easy to install and remove, instant hot water and able to control temperature within your reach.

• Praise 1

need a water mixer else it's too hot. You need cold water to lower the temperature. The temperature control will not be within your reach as the heater is centralised. Usually, you don't extend the gas pipe all the way into your toilet and it's probably not allowed anyway as the heater needs to be near the window for ventilation of fumes.

If it need a water mixer, then I presume the outlet water pressure is strong enough for a rain shower head...correct me if I'm wrong. (generally, my house water pressure is quite strong to use a rain shower direct from the tap)

If it need a water mixer, then I presume the outlet water pressure is strong enough for a rain shower head...correct me if I'm wrong. (generally, my house water pressure is quite strong to use a rain shower direct from the tap)

Can't speak for others but at my place, no problem. Heater only, Heater + cold water pipe or cold water pipe only. Even if both toilets using at the same time also no problem in all cases but water will not be that hot.

if your water pressure is strong, i think it is safe to hoot the gas water heater

for those with not so strong one, i think better don

One thing I really like about gas heater is you really don't need to bother about needing to turn the power on or off. Some are battery operated but mine is power operated. Mainly used for the spark and LED display.

Can't speak for others but at my place, no problem. Heater only, Heater + cold water pipe or cold water pipe only. Even if both toilets using at the same time also no problem in all cases but water will not be that hot.

Then should be ok, cos my home only got one bathroom [grin]

Hypersonic

Being using instant gas heater for 14 years liao. Need mixer to control the temperature. Takes around 1 minute or less to get the full heat. So you may need a plumber to 'lay the water pipe to the heater and then to the bathrooms.

5th Gear

Just wondering, is gas heater more dangerous since flammable/combustible gas is involved? :huh:

Just wondering, is gas heater more dangerous since flammable/combustible gas is involved? :huh:

Such tech has been around for a long long time.... FYI, majority of HK home as I know, uses gas heater too.

↡ Advertisement