Hi-end Components w/o amp

Hi all

I'm wondering if there is a set of components which can:

1) cover 50hz-20khz, ie decent low bass

2) high efficiency >90db/w

3) doesn't require amps to drive

4) sounds musical

Assume for now, that there isn't a price limit. Is there such a set of components, or this just doesn't exist? Any recommendations that I can listen to before buying? I don't like to purchase what I haven't heard because music is very subjective.

↡ Advertisement

you may try out those lower RMS wattage ones or get those with sensitivity above 90dB/w/m. i'm using focal ps / pc 165 n they sounded reasonably good w/o amp, or at least made me think thrice if adding an amp makes significant difference in sound quality.

Yup the Focals are easy to drive, personally using their entry level IS165 and find it pretty good.

After some consideration, I decided to take the plunge with the Focal 165FX. Still setting up but it sound pretty good driven by Audison Bit8.9.

bro ur pocket deep deep...

[rolleyes] more important is that it sounds good. With the goal of trying to set it up without a sub, I hope this works. I think I'm almost there...

Tell us your setup maybe we can mimic your success.

HU=>Audison Bit8.9=> Focal 165FX (front active 4ch x 35w)

=> Focal 165IS (rear active 4ch x 35w)

No sub at the moment, but I think I will probably need one, then the configuration will change to:

=> Focal 165IS (rear passive 2ch x 35w)

=> JL Audio CP106LG-W3v3 (?) (2ch bridged 135w)

Undecided about the sub yet.

Did you get it done at Extreme ?

No sub at the moment, but I think I will probably need one, then the configuration will change to:

=> Focal 165IS (rear passive 2ch x 35w)

=> JL Audio CP106LG-W3v3 (?) (2ch bridged 135w)

Undecided about the sub yet.

Did you get it done at Extreme ?

Yes.

Final configuration:

=> Blaupunkt active sub 8" with passive radiator

Through this whole episode, the components which impressed me the most are:

a) Audison Bit 8.9 which I reviewed http://www.sgcarmart.com/products/product_reviews.php?ID=9989 here.

and

b) Focal PS165FX which is their newer EISA 2013-2014 best award winning component set.

Just a few comments about this speaker. The bass driver is made from their newest composite technology using a flax composite for lightweight and rigid response. The tweeter is an inverted alu/magnesium dome for less directivity. It comes with its own dedicated crossover which allows you to set the tweeter level (0, -3db), and crossover slopes (12-18db). For my car, I did not use the crossover since I was driving them active direct from the Bit 8.9. If you have heard the difference between active and passive in car audio, you would know that active is the way to go.

With a sensitivity of 91.3db/w, it is easily driven by the HU, but a proper amp will of course yield better results, in line with the quality of these components.

On to sound quality. My initial impressive was there was so much detail and separation from these components, instruments were clearly delineated and separate. The mid range tonal quality is amazing, so much texture, its like the instrument or vocal was right in front of you. While the bass driver did not go very low (about 50-60hz), it was fine with classical music, but not entirely suitable with pop and jazz. Nevertheless, the bass was tight and fast.

With the tweeter and woofer in the stock door panels, the soundstage was entirely on the dashboard, I did not sense it was coming from the door panel at all. Also the left the right placement was clear and precise.

Adding the Blaupunkt subwoofer to the mix completed the sound, giving it the much needed deep bass. Music then takes on a complete fullness and roundness. I should have added this in in the first place, but that's another story.

After some further tuning of the Bit 8.9's timelinement and the equalizer, the sound is now "complete".

• Praise 1

Do you think you will go for Processor ?

Through this whole episode, the components which impressed me the most are:

a) Audison Bit 8.9 which I reviewed http://www.sgcarmart.com/products/product_reviews.php?ID=9989 here.

and

b) Focal PS165FX which is their newer EISA 2013-2014 best award winning component set.

Just a few comments about this speaker. The bass driver is made from their newest composite technology using a flax composite for lightweight and rigid response. The tweeter is an inverted alu/magnesium dome for less directivity. It comes with its own dedicated crossover which allows you to set the tweeter level (0, -3db), and crossover slopes (12-18db). For my car, I did not use the crossover since I was driving them active direct from the Bit 8.9. If you have heard the difference between active and passive in car audio, you would know that active is the way to go.

With a sensitivity of 91.3db/w, it is easily driven by the HU, but a proper amp will of course yield better results, in line with the quality of these components.

On to sound quality. My initial impressive was there was so much detail and separation from these components, instruments were clearly delineated and separate. The mid range tonal quality is amazing, so much texture, its like the instrument or vocal was right in front of you. While the bass driver did not go very low (about 50-60hz), it was fine with classical music, but not entirely suitable with pop and jazz. Nevertheless, the bass was tight and fast.

With the tweeter and woofer in the stock door panels, the soundstage was entirely on the dashboard, I did not sense it was coming from the door panel at all. Also the left the right placement was clear and precise.

Adding the Blaupunkt subwoofer to the mix completed the sound, giving it the much needed deep bass. Music then takes on a complete fullness and roundness. I should have added this in in the first place, but that's another story.

After some further tuning of the Bit 8.9's timelinement and the equalizer, the sound is now "complete".

Neutral Newbie

Was looking around for a good set of component speakers to be driven w/o amp. So far the best I have heard was the morel tempo 6 which sounds good off the HU. But recently I stumble upon this alpine high end speakers (dlx f177) which is relatively cheap on amazon. It seems like a higher grade than the morel but not sure if it needs an amp to be driven. Does anyone have any experience with alpine speakers?

Which one would be a better choice if they both cost roughly the same? Have tried the morel tempo while the alpine will be buying blind.

Here's the link to that speakers

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ALPINE-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E3%83%91%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3-DLX-F177-%E3%82%BB%E3%83%91%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%882Way%E3%82%B9%E3%83%94%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%83%BC/dp/B008FVGGOA

Yes.

Final configuration:

=> Blaupunkt active sub 8" with passive radiator

Whats the damage?

Hi bro,

Dont mind elaborating?

I just collected my car and I am pretty satisfy with the stock speakers setup, so I reckon I will just go for a powered active low profile sub to "complete"the sound.

SO you have a recommended brand/model and installer to recommend too?

I mainly listen to mandarin songs and rock/indies music.

I dont like boom box. I like my bass to have a lot of depth, slam and layers.

↡ Advertisement