Fire therapy - you dare to try?

Jman888

One day someone is going to be burnt to death [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

China's 'fire therapy' sets patients on fire for their own good
Saturday, Jul 12, 2014
AFP
20140407_firetherapy_reuters.jpg
BEIJING - A therapist pours alcohol over a patient and sets him alight - for some in China, playing with fire is a treatment for illness.
So-called "fire therapy", which proponents claim can cure stress, indigestion, infertility and even cancer, has been used for hundreds of years and recently garnered a blaze of attention in Chinese media.
There is no orthodox medical evidence that it is effective, a fact that matters little to one of China's most prominent fire therapists.
"Fire therapy is the fourth revolution in human history... it surpasses both Chinese and Western medicine," said Zhang Fenghao, who trains students at a dingy apartment in Beijing and charges around 300 yuan ($48) per hour for treatment.
He applied a herbal paste to a patient's back, covered it with a towel and poured on water and a 95 per cent rubbing alcohol, adding proudly: "Using this method, patients can avoid operations." The man, Qi Lijun, lay on his front placidly as Zhang flicked a cigarette lighter, igniting a miniature inferno of orange and blue flames dancing above his spine.
"It feels warm, not painful, just warm," said the 47-year-old, who recently suffered a brain haemorrhage that affected his memory and mobility. "I think it's effective." Many in China cannot afford expensive treatment for chronic ailments and state health insurance is limited, sparking demand for cheaper alternative therapies.
Zhao Jing, 49, who suffers from chronic back pain, had at first been shocked by the idea of the treatment, but added: "After learning everything I don't have fears any more." The practice is based on Chinese folk beliefs that health depends on maintaining a balance of "hot" and "cold" elements within the body.
"We start a fire on top of the body, which gets rid of cold inside the body," said Zhang, who claims to have lit blazes on foreign diplomats and senior Chinese officials.
The treatment gained renewed public attention this month when photos of a man having fire applied to his crotch went viral on Chinese social media.
"Sir, how well would you like your meat cooked?" joked one microblogger on China's Twitter-like Sina Weibo.
fire2.jpg
fire11.jpg
fire5.jpg
fire14.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Judging by the area they're burning, I don't think the therapy will treat male infertility. :D

maybe the idea is not to treat it but make it stronger? so that they won't become a dad accidentally :D

Supercharged

Iirc, someone tried this n was burnt. I remember coming across the news in Spore paper.

I have tried that before in China, Shanghai.

The area tried is on my stomach as I have too much "wind". Surprising, it did cure my wind stomach for awhile...

I have tried that before in China, Shanghai.

The area tried is on my stomach as I have too much "wind". Surprising, it did cure my wind stomach for awhile...

what different does it make? like putting a boiling hot towel on your stomach?

(edited)

I think got difference.

One is fire. The heat rises. = takes away wind.

The other is water, it "sinks" down to your skin. = absorb even more wind.

That's why ah kong ah mah also tell people to wear clothes and don't let wind blow.

Edited by Kangadrool

They are very expert in controlling the temperature... if using hot towel, it will too hot at the beginning then quickly cool down.. then change a new towel...

The fire method is different... they will pour alcohol on the towel which covered the part that they going to treat... then light up... when you feel the heat, they use a thick towel to cover the fire... after a while, they removed the thick towel, then light up again then repeat... the heat is very consistent and even and it is quite comfortable...

Supercharged

U guys really got guts.

Simi unconventional treatment also report.

There's one treatment which interest me is leeching.

Supersonic
(edited)

Just go join the fire walkers. It's free.

If you're up to the challenge, join the bull run in Spain.

Edited by Kb27

U guys really got guts.

Simi unconventional treatment also report.

There's one treatment which interest me is leeching.

I don't mind "sucking" therapy, but prefer the more conventional kind. :D

Turbocharged

Last time army days I got try.

Many weekends go Fire for therapy. For change, sometimes is Hard Rock Cafe or China Jump.

↡ Advertisement