Time to Change Shock Absorbers?

Aizen

Neutral Newbie

Recently changed the tyres on my 8 year old Honda CR-V, and noticed that the car veered to the left when the steering wheel is centred. Brought it for wheel alignment and the mechanic said that my front left shock absorber has hardened and advised me to change them. After alignment the car started veering to the right and they had to make some adjustments to centre it. Nonetheless, they said that it was only a temporary solution and quoted me around $1,000 (excluding GST) for replacement of the following components:

- Front absorbers

- Mounting

- Stopper

- Linkage

- Anti rollbar

- Rear absorbers

- Stopper

My shock absorbers have never been changed before, and the car is seeing around 85,000km of mileage. Should I go ahead with the repair?

↡ Advertisement

Recently changed the tyres on my 8 year old Honda CR-V, and noticed that the car veered to the left when the steering wheel is centred. Brought it for wheel alignment and the mechanic said that my front left shock absorber has hardened and advised me to change them. After alignment the car started veering to the right and they had to make some adjustments to centre it. Nonetheless, they said that it was only a temporary solution and quoted me around $1,000 (excluding GST) for replacement of the following components:

- Front absorbers

- Mounting

- Stopper

- Linkage

- Anti rollbar

- Rear absorbers

- Stopper

My shock absorbers have never been changed before, and the car is seeing around 85,000km of mileage. Should I go ahead with the repair?

You need to get it fixed ASAP unless you wanna get into an accident. Your shocks should have been changed at least 3 years ago.

- Front absorbers

- Mounting

- Stopper

- Linkage

- Anti rollbar

- Rear absorbers

- Stopper

You must be a gentle driver, going over hump at glaicer speed, for your shock absorbers to last so long. The last time I changed all 4 of my shock absorbers at the same time, didn't have to replace so many items but I changed my mounting separately. I don't slow down much for speed hump so my shocks usually die a premature death.

- Front absorbers

- Mounting

- Stopper

- Linkage

- Anti rollbar

- Rear absorbers

- Stopper

This seems to be a safety issue. Suggest you go ahead with the repairs and don't ever scrimp on safety equipment because your life and that of your passengers definitely worth much more than that :excl:

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I just recently change my shock absorbers (mazda 3 2007 100k) because the left front side was leaking oil but never had problems with steering. The labour was $80 for 2 front absorbers including fitting the related parts. Just a 45 mins job. I bought the parts from a stockist. I replaced the shock absorber, stopper and rubber boot, rubber bushings and the mounting. I also replace the stabiliser links. Spend total of $556 on parts for both sides. So 1k for all 4 shock absorber is reasonable but it is not necessary to change all 4 unless there is a problem with the rear shocks also.

Edited by Yor22

I recently changed my shocks after 7 years and 130000km. But my car is a much smaller jazz. $1000 for all those items u listed seem reasonable. Is it kah motor?

- Front absorbers

- Mounting

- Stopper

- Linkage

- Anti rollbar

- Rear absorbers

- Stopper

Sounds like the WS is pulling a fast one on you.

Maybe u sud look around n get advice from a few other ws first.

Now many ws see drivers no experience n young , wil ketok [smash] till head all bleeding hor.

You must be a gentle driver, going over hump at glaicer speed, for your shock absorbers to last so long. The last time I changed all 4 of my shock absorbers at the same time, didn't have to replace so many items but I changed my mounting separately. I don't slow down much for speed hump so my shocks usually die a premature death.

My shocks also change abt 70-80K km only. Usually tires n shocks last abt same.

I only use original or OEM good quality shocks n change mountings n related parts all at one go. [thumbsup]

Also I get only good honest mech to do the labour. I stand there n watch n "supervise" hor. Make sure no Hanky panky n nonsense from them. [nod]

I recently changed my shocks after 7 years and 130000km. But my car is a much smaller jazz. $1000 for all those items u listed seem reasonable. Is it kah motor?

WOW!!! 130K km then change shocks. [shocked]

I tot u drive tractor or steam-roller????

Hee. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Would you guys mind sending a PM with the name of your reputable workshop so that I can check out the prices? Thanks!

WOW!!! 130K km then change shocks. [shocked]

I tot u drive tractor or steam-roller????

Hee. [laugh]

My car serviced by TCM. Was asked to change shock absorbers at 161k and it caused me $530. Recently they replaced my front brake pad at 240k, included in maintenance package. Last change was at 120k.

My car serviced by TCM. Was asked to change shock absorbers at 161k and it caused me $530. Recently they replaced my front brake pad at 240k, included in maintenance package. Last change was at 120k.

I think u r a VERY VERY gentle driver. [drivingcar]

Its good so all yr car stuff can last much longer. [thumbsup]

I think u r a VERY VERY gentle driver. [drivingcar]

Its good so all yr car stuff can last much longer. [thumbsup]

Ha ha me no gentle driver. I seldom brake that's all. Even round the bends or down the slopes, I try not to brake. There was once, I smashed (total damage) my car round the bend. That happened because round the bend, I did not brake and I swinged my steering with too much force instead of smartly according to the bend. The police station that I went to report, said the place was "dirty".

Also I used to test my cars to the max speed limit in My hwy until the car cannot go faster or has exceeded the limit mentioned in the manual and I chicken out, but has stopped doing that for my present car.

Edited by Dumb

Just buy your own parts and have them installed in any workshop. I presume you are driving the RE series. You can call any dealers and get the following (please cross check with them).

KYB

Front Right: 339261

Front Left: 339262

Rear Left & Right: 341492

Tokico:

Front Right: B3299

Front Left: B3300

Rear Right: U3834

Rear Left: U3823

OEM:

Front Right: 51601-SXS-A02

Front Left: 51606-SWA-A21

Rear Right & Left: 52610-SXS-A15

I changed my front shock absorbers close to 180k km (IIRC) for troubleshooting purposes.

After changing, it did not solve the issues i.e. $ wasted.

The rear shock absorbers are still surviving now at 270k km.

The suspension system is European tuned by Lotus and stock comes with Enkei 14" rims with 185/65R14 Yokohama S306 tyres.

The tyres have stiff sidewalls and my change of tyres follows closely to that.

Thus I believe that by following closely to the factory setup, there are less stress on the shock absorbers and engine mounting.

Ha ha me no gentle driver. I seldom brake that's all. Even round the bends or down the slopes, I try not to brake. There was once, I smashed (total damage) my car round the bend. That happened because round the bend, I did not brake and I swinged my steering with too much force instead of smartly according to the bend. The police station that I went to report, said the place was "dirty".

Also I used to test my cars to the max speed limit in My hwy until the car cannot go faster or has exceeded the limit mentioned in the manual and I chicken out, but has stopped doing that for my present car.

Police told u tat place 'dirty' meaning not yr fault so got excuse dun nid pay any damages/fines if u damaged any govt property? [dizzy]

Neutral Newbie

You can try yeow koon in bedok. I dont think they charge that much. But shock abs should have been changed rather long ago. T might cause accidents and be a safety issue. Try visiting them in bedok industrial park e #01-2042. You will be amazed at their service. Also check out their facebook page they do updates. 93801699/64483039 to call them

My shocks also change abt 70-80K km only. Usually tires n shocks last abt same.

I only use original or OEM good quality shocks n change mountings n related parts all at one go. [thumbsup]

Also I get only good honest mech to do the labour. I stand there n watch n "supervise" hor. Make sure no Hanky panky n nonsense from them. [nod]

Wa uncle you drive rally ah, 70k - 80k only changed shocks liao [shocked]

My Mazda 3 180k km liao also not changing shocks still, and no side effect, just a bit harder ride. Shocks over hump still absorb sui sui

↡ Advertisement