Japan: Tokyo - Tips and Recommendations?

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

Recommendations, suggestions, from accommodation to attractions to food, travel tips etc... The list goes on! I've filled up some information which I've picked up here and there.

1. Where to stay

Shibuya / Shinjuku (Recommendations for affordable + clean hotels? I am also considering Airbnb again after my last two satisfied experience from my GC trip)

2. Places of interest / attractions

Mount Fuji, Tokyo Tower, Sensōji Shrine (浅草寺), Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea, Ikebukuro, Meiji-Jingu Shrine, Cherry Blossom Festivals (Ueno Onshi Park, Asukayama Park, the Meguro River, Chidorigafuchi, Sumida River bank)

3. Shopping Centers / Night markets

Shibuya 109 & Shibuya Crossing

4. Transportation

5. Cafe / Restaurants

Cat Café Nekorobi

6. MUST BUY souvenirs / local food

Tokyo banana, amulets

7. Travel tips

post-107101-0-52765800-1405592004.jpg

Thank you in advance.

↡ Advertisement

Plan visit to Harujuku as the Cosplay girls show up on weekends only I think. There is a huge Snoopy store across the road from the train station.

Visit Ueno if you wana buy foodstuffs.

cheers

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Tokyo is nice, just terribly expensive.

I was there on business trip, so I can't advice on cheap hotels.

But transportation is easiest and cheapest by trains, they go practically everywhere. You can buy a store value card, (Don't compare SMRT)

Taxis are very expensive.

Food is somewhat expensive, but prices are put up everywhere, so you can compare.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Akihabara for gadget n electronics stuff, Ginza for shopping.

Edited by RH1667
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Recommendations, suggestions, from accommodation to attractions to food, travel tips etc... The list goes on! I've filled up some information which I've picked up here and there.

1. Where to stay

Shibuya / Shinjuku (Recommendations for affordable + clean hotels? I am also considering Airbnb again after my last two satisfied experience from my GC trip)

Hotel: Sunroute Shinjuku plaza. book min 6 days for 30% off via online direct. ~5min away Shinjuku JR new southern terrace exit. any many food outlets. DO make a (min) 1D1N trip to Hakone. Its worth the time

Edited by Bluemice
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Hwz got an entire section on jippun. More info than you'll get here

I gonna try airbnb when I go in Jan

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

(edited)

u are a guy and alone in tokyo...rem to pop over to pinsaro......not sure, ask your jap friends what is it

Edited by Estrangable
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Akihabara for gadget n electronics stuff, Ginza for shopping.

I was at Akihabara and bought a sd card which I thought was very cheap, half the price compared to other shops.

Bring back home and 2 months later, it died.

I think I might have bought a chiong one.

Imagine this happens right in Tokyo.

But anyway it's a good place to shop and buy that something special, but as usual buyers beware.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

1. Where to stay

Both stations are fine for you since you're probably going to shop alot

Mount Fuji, Tokyo Tower, Sensōji Shrine (浅草寺), Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea, Ikebukuro, Meiji-Jingu Shrine, Cherry Blossom Festivals (Ueno Onshi Park, Asukayama Park, the Meguro River, Chidorigafuchi, Sumida River bank)

Take a train to Kamakura if you have time. It is a very nice seaside town. There are nice temples and shrines. Can visit Tokyo Skytree at Ueno (taller and much newer than Tokyo Tower).

Not a shopping person. I prefer to stay in a really nice hotel with fantastic view, chill out and just take my time.

4. Transportation

Get a JR Suica (stored value card). There are multiple subway lines from JR competitors too.

5. Cafe / Restaurants

Cat Café Nekorobi

Ichiran Ramen is a must try (There's a branch at Shibuya; google it). The rest are pretty standard Japanese fare. I personally love Yoshinoya for daily non expensive meals.

Tokyo banana, amulets

7. Travel tips

Not much except to exercise the usual precaution. Japan is a safe place. Lastly, enjoy your trip you lucky girl! I love Tokyo!

attachicon.giftokyo-main_247542k.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Oh yes there's a big Hello Kitty store near Shibuya (towards Jingumae)

• Praise 1

Food is somewhat expensive, but prices are put up everywhere, so you can compare.

Terribly expensive? Not really.. Singapore's cost of living has caught up to Japan's.

Anyway, @Babyblade, for AirBNB, I have a recommendation for Shibuya:

https://www.airbnb.com.sg/rooms/2867138?s=KUSz

Host is amazing, he helped us a lot, met us at the JR station to show us to his place. The room is a little small, but the location is close to perfect as it gets. It's about 7-10 mins walk from JR Shibuya (Hachiko exit). We stayed there for only one night, as his place was quite booked, but he took the time off on another day to treat us to lunch.

He didn't have Pocket Wifi when we went, but on his listing now, it states that it is provided. If you're looking for AirBNB host, try to find one who provides Pocket Wifi with their rooms. It's gonna save you a huge hassle for Wifi.. Otherwise, register with Starbucks Japan for Wifi. Do it in Singapore while you have proper connection, coz if you register there, you need Wifi to access your email to confirm your Wifi registration (quite stupid, but ah well, Starbucks provides one of the best Wifi spots in Japan / Tokyo.)

I would recommend staying at Shibuya station or nearby, as the JR line goes to most places (you can get tourist pass if you like, but do your calculations, it might not be worth if you're not using the Shinkansen.)

Use this link to research on your traveling route and timing in Japan: http://www.hyperdia.com/

If it states that the train will be there at 11am, be queuing in line for it before 10.55am. Damn punctual one..

For places to go, must say what you like and what you wanna do. Else, if our interests different, say also no point.

Tip and tricks:

1. If you're collector of stamps (chops), bring a notebook around as all JR stations have a very cute (not all are cute, but quite a lot) stamping station. You might even make friends with some of the Japanese who are on stamping missions.

2. Taxis are too expensive =( Make sure you know when you must leave by to catch the last train. JR station conductors are (IMHO) more friendly than other line conductors. Train maps got 4-5, in Japanese, English and Mix.

Get 1x JR map, 1x Tokyo Map in both languages, best if you can find mixed. Coz a lot of Japanese can't read English, so if you're asking for directions, you need to show them the Japanese map and you look at the English Map. Why get two types of maps? Tokyo subway map shows different lines, but not all the JR stations, and JR map only show JR stations / lines, so you need both to travel efficiently.

3. Drinking and eating is permitted on trains / buses and a lot of places, but talking on the phone or using phone / mp3 to blast music is not. (I quite like this).

4. Don't worry about baggage, there are coin lockers in most stations. Some are INSIDE the stations, some are OUTSIDE, some have both. Plan your schedule, so you can make the most of the coin lockers. 300-600 yen for a day, I think, depending on size.

5. By the way, Tokyo banana is overrated, plus it has a short shelf life. Try other biscuits / confectionery.

Tokyo Tower and Skytree also overrated.

6. You might want to check out

i. Tsukiji Fish Market (Tuna bidding ends before first train starts, we took the first train and missed the tuna bidding. Either cab, or stay nearby or stay there overnight.) Go to Marukita II (second outlet) and try either the High Grade Fatty Tuna bowl, or the Premium Chef Recommendation or something like that. 2800 yen and 3500 yen per bowl.

ii. Studio Ghibli Museum: If you watched Totoro or Howls Moving Castle, go to the Ghibli Museum. Even if you didn't (like me), the place is still amazing.

For DisneySea / Disneyland, I've given recommendation at http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2110107-tokyo-disneylanddisney-sea/?p=5223002

If you're into limited edition items, get the Shelly Mae bear. Only DisneySea sells. Get her clothes here too, nowhere else sells. Nothing special about the bear though.

Feel free to ask me if you have any specific questions. If you feel super grateful and want to repay my hard work typing all this out and doing research, things I like from Japan include Gunpla aka Gundam Model Kits. I'd be happy with a PG 1/60 Red Frame Astray. http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN958463/Gun

Hahahaha... Have fun...

• Praise 2

But transportation is easiest and cheapest by trains, they go practically everywhere. You can buy a store value card, (Don't compare SMRT)

Taxis are very expensive.

tokyo is actually slightly cheaper than singapore alr...

1. Where to stay

4. Transportation

5. Cafe / Restaurants

Cat Café Nekorobi

Tokyo banana, amulets

7. Travel tips

attachicon.giftokyo-main_247542k.jpg

Thank you in advance.

for me, im staying in asakusa in dec.. near to akiba and about 30 mins from shinjuku.

for shopping, go shibuya or harajuku. if u want ginza, be prepared to spend.

disneysea also a must go.

odaiba is also a good place if u have a day to spare.

night market? ameyoko

(edited)

1) Go rent a JDM
2) Chiong the Wangan, and the "rainbow bridge"
3) ?????
4) Profit

[thumbsup]:D

That's what I'll definitely do if I ever go to Japan! [drivingcar]

Edited by Hotshot85
↡ Advertisement