Singapore and Sports - What can be done?

Darryn

Turbocharged

At the height of the Commonwealth Games, Singapore looks set to have one of their best games ever.

This is fantastic and awesome, and I want to offer the joy and hugs to the whole of Team Singapore.

With the games ongoing - I decided to take a look at some stuff so that I could write a blog post about Facebook Support for Sports teams - and it threw up some interesting things...

post-52759-0-19954500-1406687680_thumb.png

What I see in this simple and straight forward comparison - there is a comparative dearth of support for local teams - why do you think this is, and what can be done about it?

here's another excerpt from my post..

In Singapore – there are 218,000 Man U facebook fans and 122,000 Liverpool fans (ranking 1 and 2 respectively in the “Sports” category as measured by Socialbakers). There are FIVE “non Singapore” teams in the top 10.

Compare this to New Zealand – the first “Non New Zealand” sports page is the (Australian) NRL – a league that has a New Zealand team competing at number 5. The highest ranking page with no direct New Zealand link is the NBA (American Professional Basketball) at number 9. The first “non New Zealand” TEAM comes in at number 12 (the LA Lakers)

Measuring the comparative success using the Commonwealth Games as a proxy - New Zealand has thirty something medals, to Singapore's 6. (some of this is due to a bigger population, with NZ at 4.4 million compared to Singapore's 3.3 million citizens)

↡ Advertisement

Import more foreign player so that Singapore sport performance will increase instantly.

I thought this is what the National Sport council is doing ?

I watch the Commonwealth Games, the badminton and Table Tennis players do not seem to be pure born Singaporean.

Turbocharged

Import more foreign player so that Singapore sport performance will increase instantly.

I thought this is what the National Sport council is doing ?

I watch the Commonwealth Games, the badminton and Table Tennis players do not seem to be pure born Singaporean.

There's a thread about that....

But that's my question - do you think importing instant success will work? Will it lead to the ground swell of support and the enthusiasm that is needed to develop a true sports culture in Singapore?

Or does the support have to start at the grass roots first and filter through?

do this in the comonwealth games thread

might i remind you this is

myCARforum not myCOMMONWEALTHforum

↡ Advertisement