Public must accept rise in hawker food prices

Darthrevan

ST_20140815_SSSTHAWKER_579522e.jpg

From 2009 to 2010, I studied hawker centres in Singapore while on a Fulbright Fellowship. Before I even arrived, I came across articles suggesting that first-generation hawkers were dying or retiring, but their children were not taking over. These articles focused on the loss of certain foods and did not consider the potential effect on hawker centres. During my research, I concluded that hawker centres were endangered, though everyone I spoke with believed they would always exist.
Since 2010, there have been positive signs: The Government has improved stall rental policies, developed a training programme with master chefs and is building the first new hawker centres since 1986.
While these actions will help, I do not believe they are enough. Even the Minister for the Environment and Water Resources Vivian Balakrishnan has admitted that while it is easy to build new hawker centres, the "key challenge is to find enough Singaporeans willing to enter this profession, which is a difficult, challenging one".
For my research, I interviewed about 100 hawkers at 26 different centres across Singapore. The average age of my interviewees was 50, with a range from 33 to 82.
I quickly stopped asking about profits because no one wanted to discuss them. A newspaper article earlier this year ("Hawkers unsure of not-for-profit model"; Jan 13) referred to a man who made only slightly more than $10,000 last year. Based on my research, I suspect such low levels of profit are relatively common.
Part of the problem is that hawker food is too cheap. While there has been dismay over price increases, in reality they have not increased significantly in recent years. An article last year ("Serving up a good deal for hawkers"; May 30, 2013) noted that overall, the price of chicken rice has increased a mere 50 cents since 1993.
In 20 years, the cost of everything else has risen - fuel, raw ingredients, utilities and so on. It is impossible for hawkers to make decent profit margins if public opinion does not allow them to raise their prices to keep pace.
Beyond this financial reality, the reasons people become hawkers are also posing additional challenges for the long-term outlook of hawker centres. The overwhelming majority (69 per cent) of those I interviewed had entered the trade because of family. Only 6 per cent quoted a passion for cooking as their motivation.
There was a notable level of dissatisfaction among hawkers, mainly among those who had switched from other careers. I spoke to a 37-year-old engineer who had taken over his father's stall against his father's wishes. When I asked the son what he liked best, he responded: "Actually, I don't like anything." He cited the long hours and resulting loss of a social life as the most difficult aspect.
This dissatisfaction is understandable, given that 70 per cent of the hawkers I interviewed worked at least 12 hours per day and 38 per cent of those worked at least 14 hours per day. No one I interviewed worked fewer than nine hours per day.
In addition to the long hours and low profit margins, being a hawker involves physically exhausting work in a hot environment. Consequently, it is not seen as a career path for those with higher levels of education. Many of my interviewees did not know what would happen to their stalls in the future, but 32 per cent told me their children would not take over, pointing out that they were better-educated and could therefore get better jobs.
If the main reason people become hawkers is to help their families, and that trend is declining as education and corresponding opportunities for better jobs are increasing, where will the next generation of hawkers come from?
I'm just an ang moh (Caucasian foreigner) and I can't claim to know what's best for Singapore. But I do know that more action is needed to save hawker centres. And it's not the Government's responsibility to try to save them - it's everyone's.
First, the public should accept moderate price increases so that hawkers can make decent profits and have a higher quality of life.
If this would make food too expensive for low-income citizens, perhaps the Government could offer them subsidised food cards.
Similarly, perhaps the Government could consider offering all hawkers subsidised rental rates. This could make entering the profession more appealing by increasing the potential for profits and the ability to achieve a work-life balance.
Others have suggested that raising the profile of hawkers might encourage people to enter the profession. The government could apply for hawker centre culture to be added to Unesco's Intangible Cultural Heritage List. If successful, this designation would significantly raise the profile of hawkers and hawker centres both abroad and at home. Recent television shows such as Wok Stars, in which celebrity chefs Alvin Leung and Willin Low whip into shape a handful of hawker-wannabes, have already attempted to glamorise the hawker profession. However, I would encourage the organisers to offer a prize of free rent at an actual hawker centre, rather than a private food court.
If all else fails, serious consideration should be given to allowing foreigners to become hawkers, provided they have completed the training programme. While there is an inherent irony in turning over a cultural institution to foreigners, cooking skills and recipes can be taught. Besides, foreigners already cook in private food centres and coffee shops.
Ultimately, whatever path is chosen, hawkers and hawker centres are endangered and should be treated with the respect and acclaim accorded to any other cultural treasure.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Only way is to get people to self-pack, self-cook their own meals.

Yes, it's sad, lost heritage, blah blah blah............

When these hawkers made some $$$, all eyes red............. Rentals sky-rocketed..........

So what if hawkers increase their price from $3 to $6? You think rentals won't increase? The cleaning companies won't increase the cleaning fees......???????

It's like taxi....... Fare increase, rental increase follow. [laugh]

In some countries, these hawkers/food vendors income are also "restricted". They are not allowed to collect $$$ from patron. Instead patrons need to pay at the counter, take a chit to claim for the meals. How much goes back to the food vendors is a question mark.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 4

recently, there was a "study" to evaluate whether hawker centre run by non profit organisation right?

the answer is beh sai ... no $$ no talk

no profit means lousy food

no profit means poor service and quality

want good food, good quality, good service means more money

hawker centre 1-by-1 going through million dollar upgrade ... it is impossible for food price to remain unchanged [:(]

sheep fur grow on sheep .... after reno ... rental go up ... means hawker operating cost go up ... means consumer has to pay more

When these hawkers made some $$$, all eyes red............. Rentals sky-rocketed..........

So what if hawkers increase their price from $3 to $6? You think rentals won't increase? The cleaning companies won't increase the cleaning fees......???????

In some countries, these hawkers/food vendors income are also "restricted". They are not allowed to collect $$$ from patron. Instead patrons need to pay at the counter, take a chit to claim for the meals. How much goes back to the food vendors is a question mark.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Can, can raise prices. But do not blame ppl if hawkers sit there and swat flies.

Ppl are a practical bunch. If hawkers raise price they eat elsewhere cheaper. If everywhere same they go home eat Maggie mee. In the end who will suffer even more?

• Praise 2

This one like food republic singapore

Can, can raise prices. But do not blame ppl if hawkers sit there and swat flies.

Ppl are a practical bunch. If hawkers raise price they eat elsewhere cheaper. If everywhere same they go home eat Maggie mee. In the end who will suffer even more?

Correct everyone eat maggie mee for a week, hawker centre jialat already

this is another example of good hawker stores being squeezed out of the trade due to rising rental.

the paragraph in blue is, sadly, very true about today's consumer perception and expectation. good hawker food must be cheap. but "branded food" like starbucks can afford to make not-so-fantastic coffee and still charge a premium, because they are selling a life style, rather than food alone.

i personally don't mind paying a little more for good hawker food if it helps them to continue their trade. but like many have said, whatever extra revenue the hawkers make will all go to the landlords.

Tiong Bahru roast meat shop to close

hongkongjintian_st_20140428.jpg?itok=YIZ

The Straits Times Tuesday, Apr 29, 2014

Popular Tiong Bahru roast meat eatery, Hong Kong Jin Tian, will shut its doors after this weekend - in the continuing exodus of old-timers from the now hipster estate.

The eatery's owners, a couple who moved from Hong Kong to Singapore in 1986, say they are moving after the landlord upped the rent for the 1,100 sq ft to 1,200 sq ft shop in Eng Hoon Street from about $8,000 to $12,000 a month.

Owner Yip Kwok Ching, 62, says he is still hunting for another location to continue his business. The nearby Redhill market is one possibility.

His wife, who wanted to be known only as Mrs Yip, says: "Of course, we are not happy about leaving because we have been here for many years."

The couple started their eatery at a Tiong Bahru market stall in 2000 before moving it to the coffee shop five years later. It has been there since.

Mrs Yip, 56, says: "Newcomers don't know the going rate for the place and spoil the market for us. It affects traditional food such as ours."

Jacking up prices will not help pay the rent, she adds. Jin Tian charges $3 for a plate of roast meat with rice. Add 20 cents to the cost and customers will not come, she says. "It's very strange because customers are willing to pay $6 for a slice of cake across the road," says Mrs Yip, gesturing to the nearby Tiong Bahru Bakery.

Jin Tian's is, by now, a familiar story in the now popular retro enclave with its pre- and post-war flats.

Housewife Ang Soo Leong, a longtime resident, hopes another hipster joint is not sprouting up in its place.

Mrs Ang, 84, moved to the area after she was displaced during the Bukit Ho Swee fire in 1961. She says in Mandarin: "It is a pity that the old businesses are gone because they hold a slice of history. The new places charge such high prices, I dare not step inside."

The influx of new ventures began around 2010 when artisanal coffee joint 40 Hands opened in Yong Siak Street. Since then, chic boutiques, cafes and bookstores have sprouted.

Long-time business owners in the area are receiving sizeable offers.

Mr Rodney Goh, 59, of provision shop Pin Pin Piau Kay & Co in Seng Poh Road, says he gets offers to rent or buy his 1,500 sq ft space "every other day". Offers go as high as $2 million to buy or about $10,000 a month to rent.

Mr Michael Chan, 66, who owns hardware shop Hock Eng Hin in Seng Poh Road, says he has received six serious requests to buy or rent his 1,300 sq ft space in the past two years, with offers reaching up to $1 million.

- See more at: http://www.soshiok.com/content/tiong-bahru-roast-meat-shop-close#sthash.jPtjBAZ8.dpuf

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 3

True lor... pay cake $6, coffee $8.... no one complain...

Pay char siew rice $4-$5...alot kpkb say landlord fault lar. Hawker fault lar, govt fault lar... nbz

• Praise 9

I have to LAN LAN accept rise in hawker food prices, but this would not stop me from complaining about this rise in prices!

True lor... pay cake $6, coffee $8.... no one complain...

Pay char siew rice $4-$5...alot kpkb say landlord fault lar. Hawker fault lar, govt fault lar... nbz

One is a luxury good which some indulge in once in a while while the other is a daily expenses for many, so any incremental increase will have a bigger impact unless you can choose not to eat. The $8 Mocha Frappuccino? Who cares... it is a lifestyle product.

• Praise 2

yup ... just like sugar, salt, rice, beehoon, chicken, pork, etc ... every cents go up ... all beh tahan liao

frappucino can go to $20 a cup ... drink once a month or buy 1 cup sit for 4-5 hours to sian chabo or sabo boss to buy after lunch ... hehehe

One is a luxury good which some indulge in once in a while while the other is a daily expenses for many, so any incremental increase will have a bigger impact unless you can choose not to eat. The $8 Mocha Frappuccino? Who cares... it is a lifestyle product.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1