Lobang for tiling/flooring contractor

Etnt

Turbocharged

The tiles in one area of the hall bulged overnight, this was from reno done 9 years ago.

Don't think there's any DIY way to fix it?

Anybody got tiling/flooring contractor lobang to hack and replace a section of tiles?

↡ Advertisement

The tiles in one area of the hall bulged overnight, this was from reno done 9 years ago.

Anybody got tiling/flooring contractor lobang to hack and replace a section of tiles?

If done by hdb, jus find them. Most prob foc they redo for you

diy I think not possible.

they are able to do a portion but be prepare for different colour tone as tiles colour tones comes in batches and not quite

possible to get back the exact same colour tone and some tiles of older models may be obsolete liow.

• Praise 1

do you have the matching tile? if it is not cracked n you wanna save money n dun mind looks, have it sanded a little smaller in shops n clean the exposed floor with a chisel or hammer, paying attention to the edges that are joined. hack the floor a little n then just slap some portland cement on it. this is so that it is not too high. it should not be hard coz the tile is on the floor n not on the wall. then just take white plaster n fill the gaps.

if you hit too close, you would crack the tile.

did a repair on a flower bed n kitchen top, it works.

my place what i did was i took what was handy, silicone, pva glue, rubber glue coz too lazy to take out the cement n prep the surface with a hammer. or can use white cement n paste it there n do the grout after it dries. It is improper but it would work too.

Turbocharged

Not premium flat, so flooring not by HDB

The tiles haven't cracked when we left the house this morning, But bulged up like a mini tent.

Managed to dig out the old ID/main con who did the reno last time, hope all goes well.

I think you should hire a professional contractor who is expert flooring. For flooring, tilling work you can check here .

now you know who not to hire nor is expert flooring.

Edited by Mockngbrd

Searched and found this old thread. Now my parents' old flat has this problem of tiles popping up in a bedroom too.

Anyone has contact for contractor willing to do such a small job?

thanks.

On 9/15/2023 at 2:44 PM, Atrecord said:

Searched and found this old thread. Now my parents' old flat has this problem of tiles popping up in a bedroom too.

thanks.

my suggestion if you don't have any direct recommendation from friends, is join some FB renovation group (eg like SG Renovation) and just post the pictures and ask for quotes. 

• Praise 3

On 9/15/2023 at 2:44 PM, Atrecord said:

thanks.

Google for handy-man in that neighbourhood, call up and ask if they can do it and ask for quote. Send some pics thru whatsapp can get a more accurate quote.

Did your parents keep some spare tiles? Old tiles will be difficult to find the same ones. Size also might be different.

• Praise 2

On 9/15/2023 at 4:29 PM, Watwheels said:

Google for handy-man in that neighbourhood, call up and ask if they can do it and ask for quote. Send some pics thru whatsapp can get a more accurate quote.

Did your parents keep some spare tiles? Old tiles will be difficult to find the same ones. Size also might be different.

Thanks.

The flat was purchased almost 40 yr ago, so no more spare tiles already... 😓

The flat is currently rented out, and it's a case of bad timing, as my parents are thinking of selling it once the lease ends end Dec... but this just happened. Now the tenant says floor uneven, very inconvenient...

On 9/15/2023 at 5:10 PM, Atrecord said:

Thanks.

The flat is currently rented out, and it's a case of bad timing, as my parents are thinking of selling it once the lease ends end Dec... but this just happened. Now the tenant says floor uneven, very inconvenient...

Why not just cancel the lease and sell the place as is? 

Why do any repair work on some place for 2 months lifespan anyway. New owner will just hack everything. 

Your lease contract don't have an early termination clause? 

Edited by Lala81

On 9/15/2023 at 8:21 PM, Lala81 said:

Why not just cancel the lease and sell the place as is? 

Why do any repair work on some place for 2 months lifespan anyway. New owner will just hack everything. 

Your lease contract don't have an early termination clause? 

i checked with the agent, said dun have leh. if wan early terminate, is serve notice, chase them out, then see if they will sue (low chance actually), but not nice lor...

really is si bey sian... offered them reduced rental for the balance period also they dowan. Then told them remove tiles and just level with cement (no tiles laid), they also said cannot... and TMD lease was signed almost 2 yr ago, before rental shot up - so they're paying way before market rate... still so ngeow... 😅

if really make good, will lose 1.5 mth's rental... si bey bo huah...

• Praise 1

On 9/15/2023 at 8:52 PM, Atrecord said:

i checked with the agent, said dun have leh. if wan early terminate, is serve notice, chase them out, then see if they will sue (low chance actually), but not nice lor...

really is si bey sian... offered them reduced rental for the balance period also they dowan. Then told them remove tiles and just level with cement (no tiles laid), they also said cannot... and TMD lease was signed almost 2 yr ago, before rental shot up - so they're paying way before market rate... still so ngeow... 😅

Do you know how much of a mess will be created ( and dust all over including other rooms  surely ) with hacking /disposal ( dunno must do WP layering  or not?? And then retiling ….. need at least 3-4 days right provided all well  synced ; Tenant will surely again KPKB 

• Praise 3

On 9/15/2023 at 8:52 PM, Atrecord said:

Yes as per BanCoe, they have no idea how much work is required to just replace some tiles.  U need to hack and when they use jackhammer to break these popped tiles, some of the surrounding tiles are going to come loose. It's going to be very likely as these are thin tiles on a thin layer of mortar and a old flat.

It's going to be super dusty. Which will go everywhere. 

I will tell them to take the reduced rental or I just won't repair it. It doesn't make sense for both parties. Or just serve notice. Since they say it's unsafe, declare it unsafe lor. I don't think any court will find u guilty lol.

They seem to Harbour some hope of renewing the lease? 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

On 9/15/2023 at 5:10 PM, Atrecord said:

Thanks.

you can try to buy loose piece from tiles shop if you do not mind the color, they usually will have some balance with them. Just have to check the dimension. Tiles are cheap.

Let me know if you need help, I can pass you a shop that I bough tiles from them 2 months ago. About 20% of the tiles on my front porch popped up because of the reconstruct work on my direct neighbour, I ended up have to replaced all the front porch tiles because I do no have spares with me. The work can very messy , dirty and dusty. So if you can just replace the damage ones, just do the minimum. Hope the rest will not continue to pop up, which was what happened to mine.

• Praise 2

On 9/15/2023 at 10:07 PM, Mkl22 said:

Yeah play hardball. Else get a laminate sheet flooring and layover. 

I was thinking the same initially but the angle at which they pop up …. Cannot…… floor will be very uneven and waiting for an accident to happen; even with PVC flooring ( Linoleum which is about 0.40mm thick ….Actually most Tenancy Agreements  will say owner/ contractor has the right to do repairs / fixing  in an event of any repairs or damages so the tenant should abide 

Edited by BanCoe
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2