Collapse of Selangor MRT construction

Jman888

One body recovered, search at MRT construction site continues
The Star/Asia News Network | Tuesday, Aug 19, 2014
PETALING JAYA - Rescuers have recovered one body and are working to retrieve two more people believed to be trapped underneath a concrete span which collapsed at the MRT construction site in Kota Damansara on Monday night.
Selangor Fire and Rescue department operations director Mohd Sani Harul said the body of the victim was retrieved at about 2.34am, Tuesday.
"We are still working to retrieve the remaining workers.
"We have to cut the concrete slab in order to retrieve them ... it will take some time," he said when contacted.
Mohd Sani added that he could not confirm whether the two workers were alive or not.
In a statement, Mass Rapid Transit Corporation Sdn Bhd (MRT Corp) confirmed that a span of the MRT guideway had dislodged from its piers and fallen on the ground below at 8.30pm Monday. The incident occurred while work to construct the parapet for the guideway was being carried out.
The span, made up of 14 units of segmented box girders, is 38m in length and weighs 300 tonnes.
MRT Corp confirmed that the three workers trapped were Bangladesh nationals Mohamad Faruk Khan, Mohammad Elahi Hossain and Mohammad Alauddin Mollik.
"No members of the public were involved in the incident as there is no access to the site. The location of the incident site is within the former RRI land near the future Kwasa Damansara MRT Station.
"Investigations have commenced to determine the cause of the incident," the statement said.
MRT Corp Chief Executive Officer Datuk Wira Azhar Abdul Hamid, who was at the site, expressed deep regret over the incident.
"Although investigations are underway, MRT Corp assumes full responsibility for the incident. Once investigations are completed, action on those responsible will be taken," he said.
msiamrtcollapse10.jpg
msiamrtcollapse8.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Brought back bad memories of our Nicol Highway collapse arising from the MRT work ....

Hopefully we can all learn from this

It may just be a 'wayang' and we'll know for sure in a few days' time.
But for now, respect!
MRT Corp CEO quits over fatal incident at construction site
PETALING JAYA: MRT Corp CEO Datuk Azhar Abdul Hamid has resigned over Monday night's construction site accident in Kota Damansara that claimed three lives.
"As of tomorrow, I am no longer the CEO," he told a press conference at the site here Tuesday.
Azhar said he had always been very strict over safety measures at MRT sites but such incidents had occurred over and over again.
"I have done my best, but I have evidently failed and therefore will be handing over my duties.
"I was told that some security measures were not followed by the sub-contractors and if that really is the case, I will make sure MRT Corp never works with them again," he said.
He said that despite his departure from the company, he would see the case through and ensure that the families of the deceased be given justice.
Three Bangladeshi workers were killed when a concrete span at the site collapsed at 8.30pm.
Meanwhile, it is learnt that MRT Corp's stakeholder relations and land management director Haris Fadzilah Hassan would take over until the Government appoints a new CEO.

• Praise 1

who still want to buy the condo propose to build in the middle of singapore and Johor at the straits of Malacca??

Edited by Joseph22
  • Praise 1

Malaysia Boleh!

If they built HSR, I would think twice to take

You sound like you are unaware of any fatalities during construction of Singapore MRT.

Hypersonic

It may just be a 'wayang' and we'll know for sure in a few days' time.
But for now, respect!
MRT Corp CEO quits over fatal incident at construction site
PETALING JAYA: MRT Corp CEO Datuk Azhar Abdul Hamid has resigned over Monday night's construction site accident in Kota Damansara that claimed three lives.
"As of tomorrow, I am no longer the CEO," he told a press conference at the site here Tuesday.
Azhar said he had always been very strict over safety measures at MRT sites but such incidents had occurred over and over again.
"I have done my best, but I have evidently failed and therefore will be handing over my duties.
"I was told that some security measures were not followed by the sub-contractors and if that really is the case, I will make sure MRT Corp never works with them again," he said.
He said that despite his departure from the company, he would see the case through and ensure that the families of the deceased be given justice.
Three Bangladeshi workers were killed when a concrete span at the site collapsed at 8.30pm.
Meanwhile, it is learnt that MRT Corp's stakeholder relations and land management director Haris Fadzilah Hassan would take over until the Government appoints a new CEO.

Even if wayang, at least they tried. Down here is "Not my fault", "One time incident", "Move on" [:|] [:|]

• Praise 3

the only thing in Malaysia worth respecting [thumbsup]

You sound like you are unaware of any fatalities during construction of Singapore MRT.

Who dont know sg one but the CEO resign immediately which is in singapore dont have

• Praise 2

Sad. Lives are put at risk at expense of urbanization. Every time I read something like this, I will feel that very new day is a bonus, live your life to the fullest. Wish the injured a speedy recovery.

↡ Advertisement